A moment that changed me - a postcard from Morrissey by Penny Pepper - The Guardian

An anonymous person posted the link:

A moment that changed me – a postcard from Morrissey
Penny Pepper
- The Guardian
Living in chronic poverty, disabled and in a fiery gloom, I’d written to the Smiths’ lead singer. His reply stopped me from giving up on my dreams

penny_pepper_postcard.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit catty of this broad to refer to Morrissey as a "grumpy old man" when he was kind enough to write back to her, apparently more than once. I really don't get this movement these days to now bite the hand that rocks the cradle. You are cowards to take shots at an aging Morrissey.

Honey, be glad Morrissey wrote you back and "bless" your heart.

_78251877_pepper.jpg

Actually "...if press reports are to be believed (never!) – he is now perhaps something of a grumpy old man..." is not the same as "he is a grumpy old man", so your nastiness is misplaced.

A bit catty of this broad to refer to Morrissey as a "grumpy old man" when he was kind enough to write back to her, apparently more than once. I really don't get this movement these days to now bite the hand that rocks the cradle. You are cowards to take shots at an aging Morrissey.

Honey, be glad Morrissey wrote you back and "bless" your heart.

_78251877_pepper.jpg

You're right she should have referred to him as a "grumpy young man" (in comparison to the Pope who is like really old).

When all is said and done he was a truly sweet man. But time changes the tide. I wish one could know what snapped inside him?
Anyone who wants to start a thread?

The best of lucky to the girl <3 godspeed moz, we will miss you when youre gone

Actually "...if press reports are to be believed (never!) – he is now perhaps something of a grumpy old man..." is not the same as "he is a grumpy old man", so your nastiness is misplaced.

My mistake, but still, why even mention it? My nastiness is never misplaced and is constant.

Awkward! Full grovelling apology is on the way from Poet. Not. Shame is the Name. Posting a picture of the poor defenceless lady- Poet pointing at her "Ugh look at her. Yucky!"

Who's the coward now you dim-witted dullard? Don't go into law whatever you do.

There are quite a few pics of Penny out there, so I wonder why you went out of your way to choose to post this one, or any at all for that matter.

" ... when he was kind enough to write back to her, apparently more than once" almost sounds condescending. Like calling her a broad.

As an aside, make me wonder if she was perhaps the inspiration behind November Spawned a Monster. Perhaps he found the old letters?
You are no better really.
Christ people have some shame!

When all is said and done he was a truly sweet man. But time changes the tide. I wish one could know what snapped inside him?

The best of lucky to the girl <3 godspeed moz, we will miss you when youre gone

A dog can only be kicked so many times before he bites. He really has been through a lot and has to tolerate a lot. He carries all the weight of tours, records, contracts and he handles himself like a gentlemen.

A dog can only be kicked so many times before he bites. He really has been through a lot and has to tolerate a lot. He carries all the weight of tours, records, contracts and he handles himself like a gentlemen.
He has been through alot because of the good percentage of it minus depression ect was because of him being irrational idiot with people

I am assuming this is Poet, but I hope you are not inferring that I think Penny is a monster (nor does Morrissey think that about the girl in his song, I am sure). I do not. I am just wondering if her story had any influence in Morrissey writing that particular song about such a specific subject. Posting that picture on the other hand, was only meant to shame her.

Although - I do agree somewhat with Poet that it was a little off the cuff to add that grumpy old man comment in her interview. Poor choice of words.

No i am not poet. Never ever.

Was thinking something similar. I don't think it was any one thing but a combination of things - some unfortunate - some bad decisions on his part. He definitely turned worse in the 2000s when he started having trouble getting record deals. Also realizing he was not going to have the same success he had with The Smiths and even his own early solo career. Seems like he started to live even more in his own bubble from then on.

Was thinking something similar. I don't think it was any one thing but a combination of things - some unfortunate - some bad decisions on his part. He definitely turned worse in the 2000s when he started having trouble getting record deals. Also realizing he was not going to have the same success he had with The Smiths and even his own early solo career. Seems like he started to live even more in his own bubble from then on.

This is what I think and I am probably wrong, but here goes anyway:

Morrissey's nature is to be pessimistic and negative and to suffer from a persecution complex. He is socially awkward and when he makes a real friend he is intensely jealous of any relationships they have (e.g. Johnny Marr). He is and has been rich for a very long time, but remembers the days when he had nothing. This could explain why he never seems to want to pay anyone for anything.

His father left them when he was still fairly young, and from his autobiography it sounds like he grew up under a matriarchy. I suspect his father was a 'man's man' and probably didn't have much time for the sensitive and sometimes effeminate Morrissey (that's a guess and probably an unforgivably ignorant one).

The MOST damaging thing to Morrissey has been the flock of useless 'yes' men who surround him, treating him like a God. The second most damaging thing is the braindead loser fans who think he walks on water and would throw themselves under a bus to get his attention. The kind of mindless meatheads who bleat 'You saved my life' when they see him.
In an interview years ago Morrissey said how he felt sorry for ordinary people who have to wait in a car for an hour outside the shops while their partner were shopping. I honestly believe that Morrissey would have been happier with less success and a stable relationship (e.g. Jake). His life of flitting between one luxury hotel and another no longer suits him. His constant touring in recent years is something a 30 year old could barely handle, never mind a 56 year old. His lonely lifestyle has made him selfish, to the point that he openly declares on national TV that he doesn't care about people who have no jobs and whose families are barely surviving (BBC One Show).
He admits that he has been far more successful than he could ever have imagined, and yet he craves for a record deal even though he could self-release if he wanted to. He thinks most other music is crap apart from his own.
He only has sympathy for animals. These are the symptoms of someone who has no empathy with the human race and for all intents and purposes has gladly disconnected from human society.

He hurts anyone who tries to get near to him. This type of Pyrrhic victory only works on paper.

He insults every single record company he has worked with, and some producers, and has been sued by countless people for not paying them their due earnings (as they see it). And then complains when a record company won't touch him with a barge pole. To be dropped by a record label months after a release is a joke and shouldn't have happened.

The die is cast. The year 2016 won't change anyone here.

This is what I think and I am probably wrong, but here goes anyway:

In an interview years ago Morrissey said how he felt sorry for ordinary people who have to wait in a car for an hour outside the shops while their partner were shopping. I honestly believe that Morrissey would have been happier with less success and a stable relationship (e.g. Jake). His life of flitting between one luxury hotel and another no longer suits him. His constant touring in recent years is something a 30 year old could barely handle, never mind a 56 year old. His lonely lifestyle has made him selfish, to the point that he openly declares on national TV that he doesn't care about people who have no jobs and whose families are barely surviving (BBC One Show).
He admits that he has been far more successful than he could ever have imagined, and yet he craves for a record deal even though he could self-release if he wanted to. He thinks most other music is crap apart from his own.
He only has sympathy for animals. These are the symptoms of someone who has no empathy with the human race and for all intents and purposes has gladly disconnected from human society.

The die is cast. The year 2016 won't change anyone here.

This isn't at all what he said if you go back and watch the interview. Rather , the appropriate inference might be that he wasn't drowning in sympathy for the members of the moneyed class who were , for the first time , experiencing hardship, post - GFC ...

What, no peter, no bb, no benny all over this thread like a rash? Wonder why that is? Could it be because its a good news story about moz?

But this thread somehow turned into a negative one by posters yammering that Moz is no longer the person he was when he replied to fan letters in 1984 assuming, of course, that he would be an asshole today if he replied to someone's letter. They seem to get this "insight" from the fact how his statements are worded today BUT for all we know the statements could have been similar if there had been internet in the 80s. You can't make a comparison. Also, Moz was obviously capable of replying to fan letters in a sweet way while publicly offering support to the Animal Rights Militia and saying that the death of one butcher can't hardly be a loss. I doubt that anyone here agrees with these sentiments.

What, no peter, no bb, no benny all over this thread like a rash? Wonder why that is? Could it be because its a good news story about moz?
Indeed, well observed. They prefer to kick him him when he's on the ground.
Also, this story will be too painful for them, for reminding them of their wide-eyed former selves, when they, too, were touched by Morrissey and his music.
They are now so out of touch with their former selves they have to ignore anything that reminds them of that period.

Indeed, well observed. They prefer to kick him him when he's on the ground.
Also, this story will be too painful for them, for reminding them of their wide-eyed former selves, when they, too, were touched by Morrissey and his music.
They are now so out of touch with their former selves they have to ignore anything that reminds them of that period.

L O Ls
when moz is rolling around drunk on the carpet, then they kick him.

But this thread somehow turned into a negative one by posters yammering that Moz is no longer the person he was when he replied to fan letters in 1984 assuming, of course, that he would be an asshole today if he replied to someone's letter. They seem to get this "insight" from the fact how his statements are worded today BUT for all we know the statements could have been similar if there had been internet in the 80s. You can't make a comparison. Also, Moz was obviously capable of replying to fan letters in a sweet way while publicly offering support to the Animal Rights Militia and saying that the death of one butcher can't hardly be a loss. I doubt that anyone here agrees with these sentiments.
Only if it's benny the butcher

Is anybody the same person they were in 1984? Apart from the Queen

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom