"A Light That Never Goes Out" reviewed by Len Brown, Sabotage Times

Len sends the link:

A Light That Never Goes Out: The Enduring Saga Of The Smiths – Reviewed - Sabotage Times
by Len Brown

They may have only been around for five years, but their legacy is as strong today as it ever was. A weighty new biography looks at the highs and lows of Morrissey and co...

Excerpt:

...Fletcher, a well respected biographer of Keith Moon (Dear Boy) and REM, states his agenda in an encouraging introduction. He wants “to place the saga of The Smiths in a social context”, offer a more international perspective (he lives in the States) and, perhaps understandably, seems to want to balance the scales with support from Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke, who both contributed new interviews to this book.

Fletcher makes the valuable point that previous biographers, myself included, have “leaned towards the cult of Morrissey”; suggesting we lacked neutrality, particularly while explaining the collapse of the band. I’d plead guilty to this but only because I had had access to Morrissey; inevitably, given all the legal complications post-Smiths’-split, doors quickly closed to other band members.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom