A (Intelligent) Late Night Argument About Sartre and Things

Jean Paul Sartre is better than Albert Camus for two reasons:

1. Compare their two most famous works - Nausea and The Outsider. I found Nausea a much more riveting, fruitful, interesting and vibrant read than The Outsider. Although, The Outsider is brilliant in it's resistance to divulge - it is what it is, and will not be anything else - ever. I feel that Nausea expresses the fundamentals of existentialism in a way that may not be as drastic as that of The Outsider, but is much more resonant - it is a personable novel, something that The Outsider strives not to be.

2. Jean Paul Sartre admired Jean Genet (pbuh) to such an extent that he, along with Jean Cocteau, managed to convince the French President to relieve him of his prison sentence. That in itself is enough to be hailed for.

Re: A (Intelligent) Late Night Argument About Satre and Things

if the "things" in the title of the thread can refer to other philosophers, i wish to profess my love for aldous huxley, robert anton wilson, derrida, alan watts and arthur koestler.

so there.

I feel that Nausea expresses the fundamentals of existentialism in a way that may not be as drastic as that of The Outsider, but is much more resonant - it is a personable novel, something that The Outsider strives not to be.

i think that's one of the reasons i prefer it.

Re: A (Intelligent) Late Night Argument About Satre and Things

thx :)
Jean Paul Sartre is better than Albert Camus for two reasons:

1. Compare their two most famous works - Nausea and The Outsider. I found Nausea a much more riveting, fruitful, interesting and vibrant read than The Outsider. Although, The Outsider is brilliant in it's resistance to divulge - it is what it is, and will not be anything else - ever. I feel that Nausea expresses the fundamentals of existentialism in a way that may not be as drastic as that of The Outsider, but is much more resonant - it is a personable novel, something that The Outsider strives not to be.

2. Jean Paul Sartre admired Jean Genet (pbuh) to such an extent that he, along with Jean Cocteau, managed to convince the French President to relieve him of his prison sentence. That in itself is enough to be hailed for.
The following is a quote from the obituary Sartre wrote for Camus:

"He [Camus] represented in this century, and against History, the present heir of that long line of moralists whose works perhaps constitute what is most original in French letters. His stubborn humanism, narrow and pure, austere and sensual, waged a dubious battle against events of these times. But inversely, through the obstinacy of his refusals, he reaffirmed the existence of moral fact within the heart of our era and against the Machiavellians, against the golden calf of realism."

other great stuff about them is to be found on
http://monacojerry.livejournal.com/38980.html
if the "things" in the title of the thread can refer to other philosophers, i wish to profess my love for aldous huxley, robert anton wilson, derrida, alan watts and arthur koestler.

so there.
hey, you didnt mention Foucault! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom