A Divine Comedy thread for Divine people

It is virtually impossible to find Promenade at a reasonable price on the internet. It's £22.96 on play.com. :eek:

I'll leave the window open, steal mine. x

Or the only brand new copy on Amazon UK which is:
£107.95
+ £1.24delivery

That postage cost is just ridicularse.

Last edited:
Re: The Divine Comedy- recommendations

Ooh, thanks- I'll give that a listen later. I think I'll get Absent Friends and Promenade next (possibly Bang Goes The Knighthood too) and take it from there. Wonderful stuff, I am very much looking forward to hearing more. :thumb:

All excellent choices. :)

Sigh. Sometimes I genuinely feel a tiny bit sad that Neil Hannon isn't in love with me. :(

I decided to give the Divine Comedy a try after hearing the band mentioned so many times on this site. I think that was one of the first Divine Comedy threads made on here. I listened to a few songs and liked them, but it wasn't until the album Regeneration...that's when I actively listened to the Divine Comedy. And I have no words the describe the magnanimity of Absent Friends. Spine-tingingly brilliantly. I am hooked for life.

You have a word, but it's the wrong one.

You have a word, but it's the wrong one.

:shrug: I am trying to say that the album has a larger than life feel. I think the word fits perfectly for the intended meaning. If you have any other issue with my posts, my spelling, my bad grammar and my malapropism, feel free to put me on your ignore list if it's so unbearable.

Last edited:
I've only just got into TDC as well, so only have one album at the moment, but I'd really recommend Casanova. :thumb: I loved it on first hearing, but it's seriously gotten under my skin in the past week.

Fave song from said album? This was the record that got me into them some 14 years ago. Seeing them live with a full orchestra was immense!

Fave song from said album? This was the record that got me into them some 14 years ago. Seeing them live with a full orchestra was immense!

Ooh, that is a hard one. Possibly 'Through A Long And Sleepless Night'. Or 'The Dogs and the Horses'. Or 'Middle-Class Heroes', perhaps. An almost impossible choice, but probably the first one. And seeing them live with an orchestra...wow. :love: Lucky, lucky you.

I bought Absent Friends two weeks ago, and Bang Goes the Knighthood last Saturday. I'd listened to Casanova so much and become rather attatched to it, so on the first few listens AF was a bit of an anti-climax, but it's a grower. The title track is magnificent. BGTK is wonderful also, such a good variety of moods and a real witty quality about it, as with all the albums that I've heard so far. Now to find Promenade for a reasonable price...

Stay divine. :)

Last edited:
I'll be in London next month on a city trip for my birthday. I have tickets for The Divine Comedy at the RFH on the 10th ( my birthday). Anyone else going?

Yay for a Divine Comedy thread! I love Neil Hannon. (The Duckworth Lewis Method are also very good, and I hate cricket.)

Poppy, what did you think of Duke Special? I saw him in Leeds a while ago and he was amazing. :)

Yay for a Divine Comedy thread! I love Neil Hannon. (The Duckworth Lewis Method are also very good, and I hate cricket.)

Poppy, what did you think of Duke Special? I saw him in Leeds a while ago and he was amazing. :)

Duke Special, a name I've seen/heard banded about but never really heard anything by or taken the time to investigate.
Oops sorry i need to stop answering to Poppy.
I wish the Divine Comedy would play Leeds, not seen him/them for years.

I hadn't even heard of him until a few months ago. I was looking at Divine Comedy stuff on youtube and found the video Poppy posted. Saw him at Holy Trinity Church. The Divine Comedy would be fantastic in there. (Unlikely I know.) :D

Saw him at Holy Trinity Church. The Divine Comedy would be fantastic in there. (Unlikely I know.) :D

Indeed, lovely venue. Drinking in the pews, always bizarre. x

after years of ignoring tdc, i got back into them with BGTK & ugh, i really wish i could see neil perform now! these solo shows seem amazing.

Back
Top Bottom