A Deluxe Offering...

It kind of emphasises just how rubbish the latest Moz offerings are. He has no songwriters, and his lyrical well has long since run dry. The fact we are rushing to praise a 1986 release, which is indeed praiseworthy, and, I'll say it again - the metacritcism proves it - shows the state of today.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-queen-is-dead-mw0000194895
Listening to the climax of I Know It's Over, I literally swooned in my seat, eyes closed, immersed. Can't say anything from the last few years has had that effect on me.

Listening to the climax of I Know It's Over, I literally swooned in my seat, eyes closed, immersed. Can't say anything from the last few years has had that effect on me.

you're such a ... Smithsbot !

;)

you're such a ... Smithsbot !

;)
Beep-boop!

Maybe someday I'll swoon over YOR, WPINOYB, and LIHS, but today wasn't the day.

EDIT: And I take that back. I remember being pretty boozy and swooning a little over I'm not a man.

I had a quick compare of the MP3 of Bigmouth to a couple of previous versions, and I can report very good news for any anally retentive nerds out there. This remaster appears to be based on a fresh digital transfer from analogue.

For background, all the previous releases of the album have been based on one of two transfers. Basically, anything that first came out last century is based on a transfer done by Rough Trade when the album was first released, and anything this century is based on a transfer done by Bill Inglot for Warners at the time of The Very Best of the Smiths. You can tell this because, if you check the speeds of the various versions, they all fall into one of two groups, and the speeds within the groups match right down to a millionth of a second, which is not really possible unless each group is based on one transfer.

The trouble is that the Warners transfer seems to have been not as good as the Rough Trade one, for whatever reason. It's just a little bit muddier. So, although the 2007 and 2011 remasters might have all the features of modern remasters in terms of the way they have been manipulated, they were never going to be optimal.

This version has it's own speed "fingerprint" and (based only on a quick comparison by ear to the 2011 version) the slight dullness seems to have been lifted. It looks like we probably have a new, better transfer. So, the 2011 remaster appears pretty much obsolete and, if the quality of the remaster is a factor for you in deciding whether or not to buy (tbh, I'm not sure it should be, but it's up to you), then you should go for it.

Last edited:
Take me back to dear old Blighty... intro also removed from this version of TQID.
So the 'full version' on this disc is 15 seconds shorter than the one leaked in 2010.

That's the Mike Joyce effect.

I have uploaded an alternate version of TQID here...

https://www.sendspace.com/file/yyrire

The track listing is as per the original album, however all tracks are alternate/demo takes except for Vicar In A Tutu, which is included for completeness as no alternate takes are known to exist (other than a yet to surface instrumental).

Differences vs the deluxe release as follows:

1. The Queen Is Dead full version includes Take Me Back To Dear Old Blighty intro
2. Frankly, Mr Shankly is the trumpet version
3. Bigmouth Strikes Again is the full length, unedited demo
4. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others includes the full length outro (an additional 48 seconds of magic)

All tracks previously available except Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others.

Made this cover for my iTunes, take it or leave it.

TQID_zps50z9tp6u.jpg

Did I ever upload the early instrumental Monitor Mix version of 'Some Girls'? Or has anyone else uploaded it? I lose track...

Do you think the pressure of space on the additional recordings vinyl disc led to to a couple of tracks being shortened and frankly trumpet not being included, even though they perhaps could have been accommodated on the cd?

Do you think the pressure of space on the additional recordings vinyl disc led to to a couple of tracks being shortened and frankly trumpet not being included, even though they perhaps could have been accommodated on the cd?

Possibly, but I personally don't think so.
I think they just wanted to include one version of Frankly, Mr Shankly and they opted for the one without the trumpet.
I am glad they did, as we now get to hear both. :)
As for the other edits, I really don't know, but I don't believe TQID is anything to do with space for example, the 12" single earlier this year also had the intro missing, perhaps Morrissey stopped liking it.
As for Some Girls, maybe the outro was deemed too long? Who knows really? Anyway, we can all listen to the various versions now, one way or the other. :)

Thanks Je Suis Irregular Simplment magique !!!!! Could you reupload Some Girls instrumental, please. I missed this one ....

Back
Top Bottom