A Christmas gift for Morrissey

Nickt

I've edited it, Morrissey gets what he wants.

The caption at the end is a joke by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Close the NME". Nice. Time's (digital) tide will take care of that, but I like the sentiment.

P.S. There's footage of Morrissey receiving a gift from a little boy in "Suedehead".

I did want a point of view shot of Morrissey walking in the snow from Suedehead, when the boy looks out of the window but the angle was wrong.

Nice editing! :)
It makes me wonder why they didn't use the original song, it would have made the advert even better...

I presume because of all the negative associations of Morrissey being "miserable", etc.

The vid is nicely done!! Of all the songs to re-release as a single, "Please Please Please..." would be the best candidate.

Using a cover version of the song is better, for a mainstream commercial like this, because it emphasizes the purity of the songwriting. Morrissey and Marr would be even more appreciated than they already are if their songs were occasionally wrenched out of the context of The Smiths (i.e. they're miserablists, faded 80s icons, militant vegetarians, embroiled in court battles, etc.) and evaluated on their own merits. As a cover version, the sentiments in "Please Please Please" sound universal, not like another example of Morrissey's moodiness. Writing for "everybody" was always his intent.

And let's not forget they started off with a plan to write songs solely for other artists to record, an idea that fortunately had the lifespan of a fruit fly. The ad makes sense. It underlines the fact that The Smiths are practically an institution in the UK. I just hope they wait 10 years before allowing the next ad to go out.

Last edited:
Using a cover version of the song is better, for a mainstream commercial like this, because it emphasizes the purity of the songwriting. Morrissey and Marr would be even more appreciated than they already are if their songs were occasionally wrenched out of the context of The Smiths (i.e. they're miserablists, faded 80s icons, militant vegetarians, embroiled in court battles, etc.) and evaluated on their own merits.

I know, I know...
I sometimes just wish people could put their prejudices aside, if only for 2 or so minutes in this case.
The original version is simply peerless, and if people could simply forget their preconceptions and everything that they have been fed by the media for almost 30 years. Oh, never mind...

I know, I know...
I sometimes just wish people could put their prejudices aside, if only for 2 or so minutes in this case.
The original version is simply peerless, and if people could simply forget their preconceptions and everything that they have been fed by the media for almost 30 years. Oh, never mind...

All of the above. x2.

P.

Using a cover version of the song is better, for a mainstream commercial like this, because it emphasizes the purity of the songwriting. Morrissey and Marr would be even more appreciated than they already are if their songs were occasionally wrenched out of the context of The Smiths (i.e. they're miserablists, faded 80s icons, militant vegetarians, embroiled in court battles, etc.) and evaluated on their own merits. As a cover version, the sentiments in "Please Please Please" sound universal, not like another example of Morrissey's moodiness. Writing for "everybody" was always his intent.

And let's not forget they started off with a plan to write songs solely for other artists to record, an idea that fortunately had the lifespan of a fruit fly. The ad makes sense. It underlines the fact that The Smiths are practically an institution in the UK. I just hope they wait 10 years before allowing the next ad to go out.

Except that this cover version is tripe and only muddled a perfect song into oblivion. A wasted venture.

Nickt's edit is clearly better with the original song and the ending is clever and funny. Good job.

Last edited:
Funny Ad. Thanks for making my day.

Have a good weeeknd

Back
Top Bottom