A brief assessment of the new songs - Mojo

Re: A brief assessment of the new songs - Mojo.

"the half-decade of no new Morrissey music since the prophetically titled Years Of Refusal was a drag, a bummer, even."

epicFAIL! AIMMN/KAL/PATSE/AH? Maybe traumatised and had electro-shock which erased memories of these demos? Morrissey is obviously a cash-cow for MOJO and the rest with their endless Smiths regurgitations, hence the lack of any 'critical' perspective. A compliant lamestream music media. Who knew? Here's the skinny/re-cap on the car-crash to date:

WPINOYB: Watch CNN, BBC News, take Mogadon, scribble inane cliches to a lumpen thud of a beat. Plaintively wail faux-empathy but forget that Bahrain,Egypt, Ukraine were/are fighting for a democratic voting system free of corruption.

EITLP: Ruin perfectly pleasant "imagine if Moz guested on next Santana album" scenario with The Klutziest Line Of All Time contender: "and humans are not really very humane". MOJO to run competition for replacement lyric: "I'm still alien in this emotional terrain", as example, but it has to scan to win prize. Etc

TBD: Celebrate the death of an animal,but a human one, "nobody cries", except maybe anti-Bullfight activists who realise that the thrill of a possibly dead bullfighter is part of the 'gladiator-matador' problem and sells tickets, advertising this as an outcome to be desired is not part of the solution.

Link to 'scene of crime' footage on YouTube to prove this is actually all happening. Copy article to Team Moz as part of pitch for EXCLUSIVE! interview when the full CD escapes....

Last edited:

Dear BrummieBoy,

What exactly is your plight? I can appreciate that you've been cursed with an unfortunate and ghastly accent, that you were born and bread in the arse end of England, and that Morrissey (at one point) was your hero, and has now soured and tainted your fond memories; and thus you've become some hateful melancholic sap, that spends his days deconstructing Morrissey's fall from grace with your tiresome rhetoric -
But answer me this, you buffoon, why bother? You must assume you're hilarious, correct? You want our validation?

Does not get the impression that he assumes he is hilarious. He's not a buffoon either. Doesn't care what part of England a person is from.Thinks accents are great.Especially being an american.

It's funny how you all keep saying let's wait to hear the studio versions to see how clean etc they are.. If you all remember Jack the Ripper studio album did not do well it was the Live version that was the Hit !!! Long story short the quality of songs are long gone the days of whyte & Boz are gone. These songs are way below standard I hope the rest of the album is good

I'm watching a movie on t.v about Joe Meek. At some stage he'll probably be fed into Moz's mincer if it hasn't already happened. James Corden is playing drums......I've just enjoyed Conchita winning Eurovision after a blissful day with the family. My accent is similar to Shakespeare. I live in The Shire, the heart of England. Morrissey was never my 'hero', nor was anyone else. He hasn't soured my memories as he merely provided part of the soundtrack to some of them. Hateful melancholic sap? D'you mean Morrissey? You acknowledge Morrissey's fall from grace yet feel that nobody should investigate this with as much rigour as his glory days?

Of course I'm hilarious, everybody tells me I am offline so I assume it translates to the ether. A Morrissey cult casualty calling me a 'buffoon' is a compliment. Why would I want anyone's validation? I'm just expressing my point of view but clearly you think "Free Speech Is None Of Your Business"? There's no reason why I should care.

I've seen this before but watched some of it again tonight. The actor playing the role of Geoff is quite good I think. I wasn't so thrilled by the performances on offer from Corden, Carl Barat and Anthony from the Royle Family, but I suppose they sufficed. It's not 'Othello' or anything. I have heard the real life Meek speak before and Con O'Neill doesn't sound very much like him, not that this matters. When I heard Meek speaking he was calm and composed, so he might have sounded more like Con when he was screaming at session musicians to "F%$! AFF! F@$% AFF!". Morrissey was definitely aware of Joe (listing 'Johnny Remember Me' as a favourite song back in 1983), and he has most of the attributes required to become one of Moz's 'symbolists': homosexuality, a run-in with the police, a tragic end. All that he's missing is a handsome face, which is why I presume he didn't become an album cover star/stage backdrop/face on the drum.

Morrissey and Joe Meek share some similar characteristics, compare Joe in this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l40_ESx-U_w with Morrissey in the 1984 Earsay interview. Fidgeting, eyes darting here and there, soft voice, looking upwards to think of what they next want to say, the false 'niceness' which masks the underlying anger. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcAJjcOlUG0

Where I first heard Meek speaking was on the 4 disc box set "Portrait of a Genius". I rented it from a local library about 18 months ago. It comes with a lovely informative booklet that has many interesting facts about Joe's life (I'm sure you've seen it). He was inspired by the 1960 film 'Village of the Damned', for instance. Some of the music on the box set is sublime but I prefer the 'Alchemist of Pop' compilation which has stronger songs and more of the hits. 'Joe Meek's Girls' is a worthwhile listen too, along with 'I Hear a New World' and 'Rare Joe Meek Hits of the 60s'.

I likewise enjoyed Conchita's victory, but the booing that the 17 year old Russian twins were subjected to was a shame. While it wasn't necessarily directed at them, I would be surprised if it didn't ruin their night. In their old age, long after Putin's gone, one of the abiding memories they'll have of their Eurovision experience will be the reception they received. Just because they live in Russia doesn't mean they support the regime. There was an unpleasant tone to the evening because of it. I notice nobody booed the Israeli representative who appeared on screen to give Israel's points. The right song won, but I knew Conchita would win so I voted for San Marino. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dt-crS5N-Y

Last edited:

These are really good audio recordings - but I hate to say it, but the more I listen to these three songs, the less impressed I am by them. Maybe the studio versions will add something, but at the moment I would rate all three as lesser than Action is my Middle Name, Scandanavia and Art-hounds.

World Peace is reasonable, but plodding, and the sledgehammer lyrics hold it back.
The Bullfighter Dies is at best a reasonable, and mercifully brief, Smiths pastiche.
Earth is the Loneliest planet is simply boring.

I don't like saying this, as I am not a 'hater', and I thought Years of Refusal was excellent. But these tracks are worrying.

Okay, this needs to be said, since I am truly exhausted by the perpetual "oh, we miss Alain'" and "Jesse is so shit" nonsense consistently tossed about on this site.

Comparing technical, instrumental facility: Jesse Tobias is ten times the guitar player.
Comparing songwriting ability: Alain Whyte is ten times the songwriter.

Playing an instrument versus composing a song : two wildly different abilities and/or talents. It's why somebody like Johnny Marr, or somebody like Bernard Butler, is so very, very rare and precious. Few people possess both in equal measure.

Just please, please, please, learn the difference, everyone.

I'm watching a movie on t.v about Joe Meek. At some stage he'll probably be fed into Moz's mincer if it hasn't already happened. James Corden is playing drums......I've just enjoyed Conchita winning Eurovision after a blissful day with the family. My accent is similar to Shakespeare. I live in The Shire, the heart of England. Morrissey was never my 'hero', nor was anyone else. He hasn't soured my memories as he merely provided part of the soundtrack to some of them. Hateful melancholic sap? D'you mean Morrissey? You acknowledge Morrissey's fall from grace yet feel that nobody should investigate this with as much rigour as his glory days?

Of course I'm hilarious, everybody tells me I am offline so I assume it translates to the ether. A Morrissey cult casualty calling me a 'buffoon' is a compliment. Why would I want anyone's validation? I'm just expressing my point of view but clearly you think "Free Speech Is None Of Your Business"? There's no reason why I should care.

Morrissey's fall from grace was an inevitability, just accept it and move on, instead of using this forum as a platform to rehearse your woeful stabs at humour. Hilarious? No doubt you socialize with easily amused simpletons...
Morrissey cult casualty? This will be my second post on this forum, and just a quick peruse of your profile tells me you've posted almost 2000 posts in the last 24 months. That's pretty obsessive BrummieBoy, what keeps bringing you back? Blissful days out with the family, Eurovision, The Shire...yet you still return here, seeking validation.
Even your half hearted attempt to incorporate Morrissey's new album title into a punchline makes me blush for you.

Okay, this needs to be said, since I am truly exhausted by the perpetual "oh, we miss Alain'" and "Jesse is so shit" nonsense consistently tossed about on this site.

Comparing technical, instrumental facility: Jesse Tobias is ten times the guitar player.
Comparing songwriting ability: Alain Whyte is ten times the songwriter.

Playing an instrument versus composing a song : two wildly different abilities and/or talents. It's why somebody like Johnny Marr, or somebody like Bernard Butler, is so very, very rare and precious. Few people possess both in equal measure.

Just please, please, please, learn the difference, everyone.

Really ? That's why any semblance of a tune is lost in a sea of noise at every live performance then ?

You're either Jesse or deaf. Thinking about it maybe that explains it.

Morrissey's fall from grace was an inevitability, just accept it and move on, instead of using this forum as a platform to rehearse your woeful stabs at humour. Hilarious? No doubt you socialize with easily amused simpletons...
Morrissey cult casualty? This will be my second post on this forum, and just a quick peruse of your profile tells me you've posted almost 2000 posts in the last 24 months. That's pretty obsessive BrummieBoy, what keeps bringing you back? Blissful days out with the family, Eurovision, The Shire...yet you still return here, seeking validation.
Even your half hearted attempt to incorporate Morrissey's new album title into a punchline makes me blush for you.

Yes, but who exactly are "you"? Why on earth would I care what some anonymous wallflower on the interwebs thinks of me or their imaginary speculations about my life? I very much doubt this is your 2nd post on the forum, but couldn't care if it was your 2000th as I'm sure your other contributions to online culture are similarly inane.

If you read my comment history you'll find I use this site as a note-pad to muse about The Collapse Of Industrial Civilisation, especially the bit where The Celebrity Bread and Circus Culture of Caesar Obama Implodes. Morrissey poses as an 'anti-celebrity' but he's entirely a product of that doomed, preposterous ideology. As such, he fascinates me as a topic of study, but I also focus on others including Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus and Nine Inch Nails, for example, all of whom I shall see perform in concert next week at the splendid arena venues in Mordor. You probably imagine that Morrissey is more 'important' than Katy, Miley or Trent, but that's your problem. I see all of them as trapped in the bedlam of pseudo-fame with various spurious USP [Unique Selling Points] which they project to their sheeple audiences. Also, it's good fun and a chance to get pissed on Broad Street with the gang. I don't take any of this seriously (other than the Peak Oil/Climate Chaos/Collapsenik stuff!).

I certainly don't take Morrissey seriously and never did. He's an entertainer, part of the Repressive Tolerance culture of Manufactured Consent. Etc. However, he is certainly shaping up as an excellent alternative comedian with his absurd political manifestos and his imperious banning of dissenting patrons from his cult gatherings. He doesn't intend this, but that's how I choose to react. He makes me LOL!

If he could, he'd shut this site down or turn it into another "allyouneedissychophancy.com". That says more about him than any song ever could. "My Freedom Of Speech Is None Of Your Business", or his. So piss off. Both of ye!

Last edited:

I've seen this before but watched some of it again tonight. The actor playing the role of Geoff is quite good I think. I wasn't so thrilled by the performances on offer from Corden, Carl Barat and Anthony from the Royle Family, but I suppose they sufficed. It's not 'Othello' or anything. I have heard the real life Meek speak before and Con O'Neill doesn't sound very much like him, not that this matters. When I heard Meek speaking he was calm and composed, so he might have sounded more like Con when he was screaming at session musicians to "F%$! AFF! F@$% AFF!". Morrissey was definitely aware of Joe (listing 'Johnny Remember Me' as a favourite song back in 1983), and he has most of the attributes required to become one of Moz's 'symbolists': homosexuality, a run-in with the police, a tragic end. All that he's missing is a handsome face, which is why I presume he didn't become an album cover star/stage backdrop/face on the drum.

Morrissey and Joe Meek share some similar characteristics, compare Joe in this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l40_ESx-U_w with Morrissey in the 1984 Earsay interview. Fidgeting, eyes darting here and there, soft voice, looking upwards to think of what they next want to say, the false 'niceness' which masks the underlying anger. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcAJjcOlUG0

Where I first heard Meek speaking was on the 4 disc box set "Portrait of a Genius". I rented it from a local library about 18 months ago. It comes with a lovely informative booklet that has many interesting facts about Joe's life (I'm sure you've seen it). He was inspired by the 1960 film 'Village of the Damned', for instance. Some of the music on the box set is sublime but I prefer the 'Alchemist of Pop' compilation which has stronger songs and more of the hits. 'Joe Meek's Girls' is a worthwhile listen too, along with 'I Hear a New World' and 'Rare Joe Meek Hits of the 60s'.

I likewise enjoyed Conchita's victory, but the booing that the 17 year old Russian twins were subjected to was a shame. While it wasn't necessarily directed at them, I would be surprised if it didn't ruin their night. In their old age, long after Putin's gone, one of the abiding memories they'll have of their Eurovision experience will be the reception they received. Just because they live in Russia doesn't mean they support the regime. There was an unpleasant tone to the evening because of it. I notice nobody booed the Israeli representative who appeared on screen to give Israel's points. The right song won, but I knew Conchita would win so I voted for San Marino. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dt-crS5N-Y

Excellent comment, very informative. I shall check out the links later. I enjoyed The Netherlands doing the Nashville thing and agree that trying to get at Putin by bullying two teenager girls was fatuous. It was funny when the Danish hosts surprised Graham Norton. He had a chance to shine across the world and bottled it. Yes, nobody booed Israel because it's very, very LGBTIQ friendly, unless you're trying to go clubbing from Palestine. If Morrissey wanted to genuinely shake things up he'd cover "Heroes" at the new "security wall" between Israel/Palestine instead of gormlessly accepting the keys to Tel Aviv. Or Bowie would, instead of sticking his New York nose into Scotland's referendum. Of course, Morrissey doesn't mention Palestine in his closing ululation at the end of "WPINOYB" as this might "tamper with arrangements" for his next visit to Israel. Unlike both Roger Waters and Massive Attack who are openly critical with varying degrees of subtlety and diplomacy.

These are really good audio recordings - but I hate to say it, but the more I listen to these three songs, the less impressed I am by them. Maybe the studio versions will add something, but at the moment I would rate all three as lesser than Action is my Middle Name, Scandanavia and Art-hounds.

World Peace is reasonable, but plodding, and the sledgehammer lyrics hold it back.
The Bullfighter Dies is at best a reasonable, and mercifully brief, Smiths pastiche.
Earth is the Loneliest planet is simply boring.

I don't like saying this, as I am not a 'hater', and I thought Years of Refusal was excellent. But these tracks are worrying.

I agree with most of this. AIMMN is an ok companion to TMYIMTCIG. AH was struggling to say something until the "fat Aunt Mabel" bizarre lyrics. Ditto Scandinavia's plodding beat with "bored/fjord" "crime/Trondheim" lyrical naffness which led to "gaga/Malaga". Clearly he's ignored everyone's facepalms about his lyrical flow. PATSE was another StatusQuOasis riff with an ok "God made a mistake with the human race" misanthropy lyrics.

KAL was a ludicrous attempt to insult the integrity of talent shows/boy bands by a man who invites people to buy $50 hoodies at his shows. TBD is more bad Oasis than Smiths. And WPINOYB is a career nadir.

But does it matter? Nobody cares about any songs The Rolling Stones write and still find great joy in their live shows. Nothing wrong with Moz adopting the same tour till you drop business model in his autumn years. Actually, after LWren's suicide, everybody will be rubbernecking Jagger's lyrics....

It doesn't matter. If there's a couple of great songs on the new album or ever again, that's a bonus. Live shows are now like watching/hearing your memories with a cover-band that has a singer who's uncannily like the real thing. Morrissey is just a trigger, like a Proustian karaoke machine. It's a good night out and it's hugely entertaining, if only to watch the fake stage invasions which are organised by security to keep Moz in his delusions that he's still a star. Or if there's a full blown diva tantrum/cancellation.

Status QuOasis Dad Rock and your Uncle clambering on stage to exhibit his bald spot in the spotlight. Just like at the wedding. And there's always the merchandising stall to blow some after-tax income on as echoes of "you poor little fool, oh, you fool!" ring around your brain. So long as you don't fall over and break/bloody your nose in all the excitement....

Dear BrummieBoy,

What exactly is your plight? I can appreciate that you've been cursed with an unfortunate and ghastly accent, that you were born and bread in the arse end of England, and that Morrissey (at one point) was your hero, and has now soured and tainted your fond memories; and thus you've become some hateful melancholic sap, that spends his days deconstructing Morrissey's fall from grace with your tiresome rhetoric -
But answer me this, you buffoon, why bother? You must assume you're hilarious, correct? You want our validation?

He has nothing better to do. It's that simple. No one can post drivel that often while having other options.

He has nothing better to do. It's that simple. No one can post drivel that often while having other options.

I know, tragic isn't it? If only I lived in Logan with all you bogans. Just think of the options: bar-b-q, drink beer and worry whether AC/DC are ever gonna tour again. If only I could escape "Mom's Basement" and get on a plane to Sydney so i could study dangerous insects and watch INXS cover bands in every bar in town.

I like "Bullfighter", and "World peace" is not so bad, but "Earth" is not a good song. I suppose that this album will be largely disappointing, with some good moments. What annoys me the most is that Mozz seems to have lost is power of writing brilliant lyrics, we are very far from the Smiths works and even the solo debuts. But, well, that's life. I wil lalways love him, whatever happens.

Dear BrummieBoy,

What is hilarious is that he's created a second account that he's now conversing with. I'm surprised nobody's locked him up.

What is hilarious is that he's created a second account that he's now conversing with. I'm surprised nobody's locked him up.
Thatcher got rid of second homes for the likes of him. #bitcruel&crassbutcorrectinhiscase. My ISP is politically incorrect BTW Lol.

Let's be honest, some people on here don't care what the new songs sound like; if they aren't a replica of Vauxhall/Arsenal/Viva then they just will not be happy. I first got into Morrissey just shortly after Refusal was released, with Refusal coming as a bit of a shock to the system, lyrically and musically, after listening to the back catalog chronologically. Nonetheless, Refusal has really grown on me and there's much to be admired on there, which makes me wonder why the new album is being written off already (by some, not all) despite there only being three songs available to listen to in dodgy iPhone quality. I could name countless albums where, as an album, the songs work perfectly, but as independent tracks they fail to live up to a quick three minute listen. I'd love for World Peace... to be given a chance.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom