A$AP Rocky would like to work with Morrissey

At 28:30
"I might have to f*** with Morrissey, on some Smiths shit," he said. "Make some emo, real, retro-infusion, motherf***in' 2018 shit, man."

He's worked with Rod Stewart and Moby, so why not Moz? There is a huge demographic to be gained here.

I agree with the swearing as well. Singers with $ in their names. Really? Such a lack of creativity. Just plain lazy.

Subtleness and a higher level of intellect is disappearing from popular music as fast as the polar icecaps are melting. I do agree with Morrissey in this regard. There is no desire to put craftsmanship into lyrics today. No more writing on a pad of paper, crossing out and re-writing lyrics until they exactly present what one intends to convey. Replace something meaningful that may take some time to create with a F*ck or Sh*t and put it out for sale. The beat superseding all else.

Independent and/or alternative music no longer exists. Music has been filtered today to the point of being tasteless. Either bland and boring, or over the top to try and outdo the most recent worthless, profitable "artist." I am sure there are some decent new bands out there, but they never make it to the wider public because the $ isn't immediately obvious for record companies.

I know this is an older guy rant, but there was a complete spectrum of music in the eighties. Gary Numan, Adam and the Ants, Human League, New Order, Depeche Mode, Tom Petty, Pat Benatar, Fleetwood Mac, etc. I could go on and on, but today everyone is creating pop songs to hopefully sell to a product sponsor to rake in even more $ (see Bruno Mars Twenty Four Carrot Gold.)

Please set me straight if I am missing something here.
Yes. You are missing Blondie, Squeeze and Madness to complete your argument. In the UK, anyway. :)

You're just old. It's time to start planting bulbs, dressing for comfort, and hating minorities.

I bet grandad Moz planters are gorgeous this time of year.

Yes. You are missing Blondie, Squeeze and Madness to complete your argument. In the UK, anyway. :)

Not to mention The Style Council. As you are from that side of the pond, are they a guilty pleasure or a true love? I was addicted to You're The Best Thing for most of the eighties. The Singular Adventures of The Style Council was worn thin. My Ever Changing Moods also right up there for me.

I am sure there will be some to piss all over them, but I am interested in your thoughts on this.

You're just old. It's time to start planting bulbs, dressing for comfort, and hating minorities.

I bet grandad Moz planters are gorgeous this time of year.

Well, I'm off to a good start, but the hating minorities part I don't think will ever come. Too much love in my heart for all living things :heartssuit:

th

Not to mention The Style Council. As you are from that side of the pond, are they a guilty pleasure or a true love? I was addicted to You're The Best Thing for most of the eighties. The Singular Adventures of The Style Council was worn thin. My Ever Changing Moods also right up there for me.

I am sure there will be some to piss all over them, but I am interested in your thoughts on this.
I think they were well respected but I'm afraid they never did it for me, evennow. Just a personal taste thing - although I think I probably appreciate them better now. Same with The Jam - I could never see the point but now I can. Maybe it's just getting old, and like the song says, you don't know what you've got till it's gone. Likewise - and here's a confession - I was never into The Smiths either. I gnash my teeth at the thought that I was actually living in Derby when that great early gig (the one where Morrissey flounces off when he gets a gladiolus petal in his eye) was recorded. Honestly, I could weep at what I missed! Youth, eh? Wasted on the young.

I think they were well respected but I'm afraid they never did it for me, evennow. Just a personal taste thing - although I think I probably appreciate them better now. Same with The Jam - I could never see the point but now I can. Maybe it's just getting old, and like the song says, you don't know what you've got till it's gone. Likewise - and here's a confession - I was never into The Smiths either. I gnash my teeth at the thought that I was actually living in Derby when that great early gig (the one where Morrissey flounces off when he gets a gladiolus petal in his eye) was recorded. Honestly, I could weep at what I missed! Youth, eh? Wasted on the young.

Very interesting how you mentioned liking Squeeze, but didn't gravitate to TSC. They seem to go hand in hand in terms of sound at least to me. Black Coffee in Bed, Tempted, Pulling Mussels all great.

Not liking The Smiths at first :eek:

I have mentioned before here when a friend put The Queen is Dead on the record player, and I heard There is a Light, my life changed more at that moment than anything else has ever caused it to. Shame you missed those concerts. It's funny the things you chose to look back on with age.

I remember being very sick as a fifteen year old and taking the bus with a friend to 69th street in Philadelphia to see Adam and the Ants at the Tower Theatre as if it were yesterday. Such a great concert. I had never imagined in my life a band with two drummers, and the whole band was amazing. Adam was the first artist to grab and hold my attention, but Morrissey with his lyrics stole me away. I am going to post one of my guilty pleasure Adam videos over on that thread now. Such a showman regardless of what comes out of his mouth.

Very interesting how you mentioned liking Squeeze, but didn't gravitate to TSC. They seem to go hand in hand in terms of sound at least to me. Black Coffee in Bed, Tempted, Pulling Mussels all great.

I have mentioned before here when a friend put The Queen is Dead on the record player, and I heard There is a Light, my life changed more at that moment than anything else has ever caused it to. Shame you missed those concerts. It's funny the things you chose to look back on with age.

I remember being very sick as a fifteen year old and taking the bus with a friend to 69th street in Philadelphia to see Adam and the Ants at the Tower Theatre as if it were yesterday. Such a great concert. I had never imagined in my life a band with two drummers, and the whole band was amazing. Adam was the first artist to grab and hold my attention, but Morrissey with his lyrics stole me away. I am going to post one of my guilty pleasure Adam videos over on that thread now. Such a showman regardless of what comes out of his mouth.
Squeeze were largely based around standard rhythm & blues (especially when Jools played with them), but with a quirky twist and great lyrics. More my sort of thing; whereas Style Council had a more jazzy feel which I couldn't connect with as a callow teen. Glenn Tilbrook was a really unique songwriter - his vocal melodies are crazy the way they wander all round the houses - and a much-underrated guitarist. I love the solo in Another Nail in My Heart - which pops up after the first chorus, so he's definitely not read the manual. And they had great basslines as well. Proper pop songs!

Ah, yes, I hated The Smiths. :eek: indeed! I couldn't stand Morrissey's voice and thought him unbearably pretentious. To be fair, my pretention-radar wasn't far wrong and I still dislike some of their very early stuff, which I find a bit tuneless. I think Morrissey got much better at writing vocal melodies and his voice improved massively as they went on. So maybe my teen ears weren't so different from the older, wrinklier ones.

Oh, yes, Adam and the Ants, pop pioneers also! I thought Stand and Deliver was genius pop, but these days it makes me think of the Horrible Histories parody (brilliant kids' cult history show). Which also makes me think of their Morrissey/Charles Dickens parody. I would post both on here but will no doubt get slammed for O/T.

Ah, yes, I hated The Smiths. :eek: indeed! I couldn't stand Morrissey's voice and thought him unbearably pretentious. To be fair, my pretention-radar wasn't far wrong and I still dislike some of their very early stuff, which I find a bit tuneless. I think Morrissey got much better at writing vocal melodies and his voice improved massively as they went on. So maybe my teen ears weren't so different from the older, wrinklier ones.

raw

After The Queen, I worked my way back to their first album and yes it is no doubt a bit wobbly, but the first song Reel Around The Fountain cemented my love of his lyrical prowess. Especially:

It's time the tale were told
of how you took a child
and you made him old

of how you took a child
and you made him old
you made him old

Reel around the fountain
slap me on the patio
I'll take it now

Fifteen minutes with you
well, I wouldn't say no
oh people said
that you were virtually dead
and they were so wrong!

I thought...well...what is this? A precursor to most of his lyrics so extremely descriptive yet simultaneously completely vague. Who is the slapper and what is he ready to take? We can all surmise the obvious, but he always seems to use sex as a metaphor for something much deeper, or at least he used to pre-explosive kegs. If nothing else, I enjoy the opportunity to think and rethink about the meaning behind his lyrics. So many of his songs allow me to do that.

PS. The thought of him working with an A$$ clown puts me off my breakfast!

Last edited:
raw

After The Queen, I worked my way back to their first album and yes it is no doubt a bit wobbly, but the first song Reel Around The Fountain cemented my love love of his lyrical prowess. Especially:

of how you took a child
and you made him old

of how you took a child
and you made him old
you made him old

Reel around the fountain
slap me on the patio
I'll take it now

Fifteen minutes with you
well, I wouldn't say no
oh people said
and they were so wrong!

I thought...well...what is this? A precursor to most of his lyrics so extremely descriptive yet simultaneously completely vague. Who is the slapper and what is he ready to take? We can all surmise the obvious, but he always seems to use sex as a metaphor for something much deeper, or at least he used to pre-explosive kegs. If nothing else, I enjoy the opportunity to think and rethink about the meaning behind his lyrics. so many of his songs allow me to do that.
Yes, Reel Around the Fountain is my absolute favourite of the early stuff, I love it. And even though I'm pretty sure he would never do it now anyway, somehow I wouldn't want him to; those words were fine from a pale and gawky young man, but from a portly grey person they take on a rather different tone :paranoid:

Personally I don't hear any 'sex as a metaphor for something else' here - rather, just metaphors for sex! But yes, I prefer the teasing subtlety rather than the 'explosive kegs'. Or even 'wrap your legs around my face'. With hindsight, thought, it is fairly cheeky that they had a song about a sex act that was broadcast live on TV. I have wondered in idle moments whether Johnny and the others knew the meaning of it at the time.

Yes, Reel Around the Fountain is my absolute favourite of the early stuff, I love it. And even though I'm pretty sure he would never do it now anyway, somehow I wouldn't want him to; those words were fine from a pale and gawky young man, but from a portly grey person they take on a rather different tone :paranoid:

Personally I don't hear any 'sex as a metaphor for something else' here - rather, just metaphors for sex! But yes, I prefer the teasing subtlety rather than the 'explosive kegs'. Or even 'wrap your legs around my face'. With hindsight, thought, it is fairly cheeky that they had a song about a sex act that was broadcast live on TV. I have wondered in idle moments whether Johnny and the others knew the meaning of it at the time.

So many early examples of this:

Why pamper life's complexity
When the leather runs smooth
On the passenger seat?

My eyes have seen the glory of the sacred wonderkind
you took me behind a disused railway line
and said "I know a place where we can go
where we are not known"
and you gave me something that I won't forget too soon

I think Johnny knew and fanned the flames of his lyrical, hidden desires. To me at least, I consider Johnny his lyrical muse in the "I want the one that I can't have and its driving me mad" sense. I would imagine it would have made Johnny feel good knowing he was desirable even if the feelings were not returned. Oh to be desired...what a blessing no matter from which direction it comes.

I love bad bitches that's my f***in' problem (Problem)
And yeah I like to f*** I got a f***in' problem (True)
If findin' somebody real is your f***in' problem
Bring ya girls to the crib maybe we can solve it.”

“I enjoy the company of sexually liberated women /
Particularly the act of intercourse, to the degree it is becoming an issue in my day-to-day life /

(x 3)

“If however you are looking for a serious long term relationship /
Bring your lady friends to an unspecified house or venue and perhaps we can resolve this knotty problem to the benefit of all concerned.”

Miles ahead of rhyming ‘border’ with ‘daughter’ or ‘Beefaroni’ with ‘lonely’...

Oh the Adam Ant memories! I remember the day the tickets went on sale and my friend and I skipped school to go get them. We stopped by her house to grab some food before getting a bus to the mall where the nearest Ticketmaster was. Her mom ended up being home and I was amazed that she called the school and told them that she needed us and that we wouldn’t be returning that day. It’s not every mom who would get you out for good Adam Ant tickets! Mine would have sent me back to class! It’s funny to think about how involved it was to get them. Neither of us could drive yet, too young for bank accounts which didn’t matter because there were no such thing as ATMs. But we still got great seats! And it was finally someone I wanted to see instead of all the April Wine, Ozzy Osbourne and Def Leppard shows rolling through.

raw

After The Queen, I worked my way back to their first album and yes it is no doubt a bit wobbly, but the first song Reel Around The Fountain cemented my love of his lyrical prowess. Especially:

of how you took a child
and you made him old

of how you took a child
and you made him old
you made him old

Reel around the fountain
slap me on the patio
I'll take it now

Fifteen minutes with you
well, I wouldn't say no
oh people said
and they were so wrong!

I thought...well...what is this? A precursor to most of his lyrics so extremely descriptive yet simultaneously completely vague. Who is the slapper and what is he ready to take? We can all surmise the obvious, but he always seems to use sex as a metaphor for something much deeper, or at least he used to pre-explosive kegs. If nothing else, I enjoy the opportunity to think and rethink about the meaning behind his lyrics. So many of his songs allow me to do that.

PS. The thought of him working with an A$$ clown puts me off my breakfast!

A$$ Clown! <snort>

You sound like the Jazz guys when rock took over. Rock is dead because it hasn't evolved. The end.

Only a handful of so-called "rock" artists are doing anything progressive, and the rest are still wondering what happened to grunge, and hair metal.

This man's uneducated? You think Morrissey is educated? It's a pose. Morrissey sounds about as ignorant, uncultured, and superficial as they come when given free reign to speak. He just knows how to appear poetic. He's a dramatist whose run out of things to dramatize.

Just kidding, I'm sure you're a sweetheart.
Thanks for the kind words. I've never known a world where jazz was popular music...I am super old though, I turn 29 this year! Shout out to Manchester's latest greatest band, The 1975. They are the real direction of popular music...at least for me.

Back
Top Bottom