Mike Joyce on Smiths royalties

vicarinatutugal

can't reMember
taken from main page

Did you see Joycie's statment?

Just for the record, I've never, EVER received all Smiths royalties from record sales in the U.K. or worldwide for that matter. Maybe some of the people who visit this site could ask Morrissey through their contacts just WHO receives ALL Smiths royalties now...Mmm?

Mike Joyce

Personally I would rather he made a proper statement, this school yard comment is really not much use. So I take it he is saying Morrissey was talking shit here

I have always been on Mike's side of the arguement (having the capacity to seperate my emotional point of view to a legal point of view).
In number 6, why was Morrissey 'absent' from the hearing? So he lived abroad... but his legal eagles didn't and were surely contactable?

Johnny Marr paid a final payment of £260K, yet Morrissey's bill in legal fees alone came to £600k..... yes there are principals and there are principles..... maybe if Morrissey had just coughed up to begin with he would have been a million quid better off..........

Sadly, British law has never been about what is right and what is wrong, but all about lawyers and what they receive and who can afford them....

Morrissey fought the law..... and the law won......

Jukebox Jury

6. In 2001, as a final payment of back royalties, Johnny Marr paid Joyce 260 thousand pounds, plus "costs." At this time I was in the US and was not served with court proceedings, so Joyce obtained a Default Judgment. He then put forward a claim from me for 688 thousand pounds - well above and beyond the amount Johnny Marr was ordered to pay. In my absence, the figure was not contested.

10. In legal fees alone, Joyce has cost me 600 thousand pounds - this is quite apart from any payments made to him, and is quite apart from any money seized by him. In total, Joyce has cost me 1 million, 515 thousand pounds. This is an approximate figure - it could even be higher.

Last edited:
The truth is he isn't entitled to that money as there was no contract and it's just the way royalties tended to be split up at the time (although percentages differ).

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1776415,00.html

The fact that Mike and Andy were too naive to hammer out the finer points of the split earlier on is no fault of Morrissey or Marr.

There's nothing to be gained by dragging this on. Mike should just have the dignity to accept defeat instead of acting like a bitter fool.

Jesus, have any of you people even considered that the poster is NOT in fact Mike Joyce? Why the f*** would he bother posting here, let alone provide his e-mail address.

Jesus, have any of you people even considered that the poster is NOT in fact Mike Joyce? Why the f*** would he bother posting here, let alone provide his e-mail address.

David got an email from Mike Joyce himself therefore he published his statement.

That is my point...how do we know that the person CLAIMING to be Mike Joyce is actually him? And regardless of whether it is ACTUALLY Joyce, it was pretty shitty for Davidt to post his email.

A cursory search did not bring up ANY other references online to that email address.

thanks Merck.

To everyone on Solo.

Assuming this post is genuinely from Joyce he should be ashamed of himself as it is dishonest and clearly meant to inflame you against Morrissey.

As most of you will know Morrissey and I have parted company so I am not speaking on his behalf nor is he aware that I am posting this. My only agenda is to let you know the truth about Joyce's claim regarding Smiths' royalties. I should also qualify this by saying that I have nothing personal against Mike Joyce but I am in the business of protecting artists and it is offensive to me, not to mention, immoral that Mike Joyce should be getting paid for Morrissey's share of Meat Is Murder, The Queen Is Dead et al. It is the equivalent of the easel getting paid for Van Gogh's paintings ie it is ridiculous and no one with a conscience could accept the cheques regardless of what a court may say. Not if you really loved and respected the music.

The fact is Mike Joyce applies to the court every 6 months and on the basis of his historic judgement - which arguably he has now been paid many times over! - he asks the court to award him Morrissey's Smiths' royalties. As a result of the judgement the court orders Warner UK to pay 100% of Morrissey's Smiths' royalties to Joyce. For Joyce to say that he has not received Morrissey's Smiths' record royalties from the UK - and everywhere in the world for that matter - is as far from the truth as you can possibly get but I am sure he will hide behind his carefully chosen ambiguous words.

Mike Joyce takes great pleasure in being a thorn in Morrissey's side - it is perhaps his only purpose - and one of the downsides of my not working with Morrissey, in the future, will be not having the pleasure of being the person who eventually takes him out. It will happen and if you are a genuine Smiths or Moz fan and you want a target for the irritation you sometimes feel there is no one worthier.

Best wishes,
Merck

thanks Merck.

To everyone on Solo.

Assuming this post is genuinely from Joyce he should be ashamed of himself as it is dishonest and clearly meant to inflame you against Morrissey.

As most of you will know Morrissey and I have parted company so I am not speaking on his behalf nor is he aware that I am posting this. My only agenda is to let you know the truth about Joyce's claim regarding Smiths' royalties. I should also qualify this by saying that I have nothing personal against Mike Joyce but I am in the business of protecting artists and it is offensive to me, not to mention, immoral that Mike Joyce should be getting paid for Morrissey's share of Meat Is Murder, The Queen Is Dead et al. It is the equivalent of the easel getting paid for Van Gogh's paintings ie it is ridiculous and no one with a conscience could accept the cheques regardless of what a court may say. Not if you really loved and respected the music.

The fact is Mike Joyce applies to the court every 6 months and on the basis of his historic judgement - which arguably he has now been paid many times over! - he asks the court to award him Morrissey's Smiths' royalties. As a result of the judgement the court orders Warner UK to pay 100% of Morrissey's Smiths' royalties to Joyce. For Joyce to say that he has not received Morrissey's Smiths' record royalties from the UK - and everywhere in the world for that matter - is as far from the truth as you can possibly get but I am sure he will hide behind his carefully chosen ambiguous words.

Mike Joyce takes great pleasure in being a thorn in Morrissey's side - it is perhaps his only purpose - and one of the downsides of my not working with Morrissey, in the future, will be not having the pleasure of being the person who eventually takes him out. It will happen and if you are a genuine Smiths or Moz fan and you want a target for the irritation you sometimes feel there is no one worthier.

Best wishes,
Merck

Merk is a really cool guy!

Looks like Merck's been taking notes from Worm. :D

Heh. I did rather like that line. (I also thought it was wrong, but I posted my answer in another thread.)

I guess my remarks on Merck's "Van Gogh's easel" comments are (a) much respect for the killer quip and (b) Van Gogh's genius relied on easels about as much as it did on spokesmen.

The truth is he isn't entitled to that money as there was no contract and it's just the way royalties tended to be split up at the time (although percentages differ).

The truth is, two judges at seperate hearings decided that he was entitled to the money. End of.

As for Merck, great post and admire him for posting - especially as he no longer works for Morrissey. But..... it takes me back to my original point though - had Morrissey coughed up at the first time of asking, he would have been a hell of a lot better off financially.......

Jukebox Jury

As for Merck, great post and admire him for posting - especially as he no longer works for Morrissey. But..... it takes me back to my original point though - had Morrissey coughed up at the first time of asking, he would have been a hell of a lot better off financially.......

But if he'd coughed it up, he would never have had a reason to write songs like like "Sorrow Will Come in the End." Oh, wait...

Most of the songs on Quarry which I rate the lowest of his lyrical and musical work. :p

crazy.jpg

But if he'd coughed it up, he would never have had a reason to write songs like like "Sorrow Will Come in the End." Oh, wait...

Well I'm not saying Morrissey should have coughed up and been happy about the decision. So the same songs could have been written. I'm trying to say is you cannot fight the British Justice System (if such a thing exists:D) and win - well you can win, but at what cost? Unfortunately Morrissey has found out how much it does cost.....

Jukebox Jury

The truth is, two judges at seperate hearings decided that he was entitled to the money. End of.

Jukebox Jury

as if he's "struggling" to get by :rolleyes::rolleyes:

cat+beggar.jpg

Right, and as for what he would have written if he'd coughed it up, he'd have put out, let's see..."Boomslang"!

This lawsuit atrocity is a real funhouse, is it not? Yeesh.

Jukebox Jury

That's not really taking into account Morrissey's character though is it? I very much doubt he's the sort of person who'd sit down and do the sums to work out which course of action would give him the best financial result.

No, he believes the court judgement is wrong, therefore he's not going to play ball no matter what it costs him. He's going to oppose it come what may.

And isn't that the reason why he's the artist he is, and why so many of us admire him?

Back
Top Bottom