50 Best Morrissey songs - Spin

The way I would do this is to take a complete list of songs and start eliminating. White list a few things maybe, too. I am pretty sure everything on Viva Hate and Bona Drag would be on it, except Bengali In Platforms. I actually like all of Kill Uncle, too. In my opinion nothing on Kill Uncle is as bad as "You're The One For Me, Fatty."
Do you ever like someone and buy their records but you know that it's pretty likely that you're going to buy one someday and it won't be very good? It happens to most singers and bands. So when I heard "You're The One For Me, Fatty," I really thought it was the worst song I'd ever heard from Morrissey. I mean, I like "Golden Lights." I didn't know you weren't supposed to until I read it on the Internet years later. So his first three solo records and most of the singles including most of the b-sides would be on there for sure I think.
After that there are songs on each record that might be eliminated, but not many until we get to Maladjusted which is his best song but was his worst record at that time. I like Southpaw and would include most of it.
I like everything on Quarry, production aside.
Ringleader has a few great ones and some that are not very good at all. He was still making really good b-sides, btw, and that is something I think is missing. It's sad when the b-sides now are live cover versions that any fan could find online anyway. Some really good ones were collected on Swords.
I think Years Of Refusal is pretty good. The lyrics aren't always his best but "All You Need Is Me" and "That's How People Grow Up" are great. I like that whole record. "Because Of My Poor Education" and "Shame Is The Name" are some of my favorites from that time. I like the rock ones generally.
I have still never listened to "World Peace Is None Of Your Business," You know how your dad went to the store for a beer and never came back? It's sort of like that. I was trying really hard to get through it but I stopped and I never was able to get through it.
I had high hopes for the new one but haven't listened to it except for three or four songs. I think it would all be eliminated and I'm sure there would be nothing from the last record.
So that's the opinion no one asked for but I don't really feel like making a list right now.

An interesting post and I enjoyed reading it.

I think a lot of this can come down to nostalgia and who we were when we first listened to some music though. I don't think anyone could rationally claim, for example, that every song on Kill Uncle is stronger than all of the songs from the past 2 albums.

Hopefully we will get to hear the other songs recorded during these sessions at some point, as the bonus tracks on World Peace were generally very impressive.

World Peace has grown on me considerably. Smiler and Kick the Bride in particular have risen in my estimation. I love the lyric about the bit of the beach that the tide doesn't reach (echoing the inbuilt guilt bit in Never Marry) and how it is followed no by wedding bells but funerary tolling.

An interesting post and I enjoyed reading it.

I think a lot of this can come down to nostalgia and who we were when we first listened to some music though. I don't think anyone could rationally claim, for example, that every song on Kill Uncle is stronger than all of the songs from the past 2 albums.

Hopefully we will get to hear the other songs recorded during these sessions at some point, as the bonus tracks on World Peace were generally very impressive.

He does sometimes leave the best songs off of the album.

Tags
annie zaleski best morrissey songs jason anderson spin

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom