Morrissey Central "40 YEARS AGO" (May 17, 2023)

Handin.gif

The Smiths official FB as per 'On This Day' thread on the actual day of release:

Regards,
FWD.

And Sam posts a super low resolution .gif file on Central so we all get that nostalgic 80s feeling.

Unbelievable, i feel so old now.
Only seems like, well, 40 years ago.
40 years of fantastic music, thats quite an achievement.

KISS MY SHADES

:cool:

a love song like no other

“Angie had just passed her driving test and her parents had loaned her this little VW Beetle that we used to sort of hang out in. I said, ‘Get me round to Mozzer’s!’ Cos he’s got a tape machine. So we got in the car like I was going to have a baby, you know?
Marr then sits like a child on his seat, cradling the birth of his new riff, “So I’m in the car, trying not to change this riff – cos you just change stuff, you know? So all the way though this 20-minute ride to Mozzer’s, I’m playing the riff.

“Angie always leaves me to it when I’m in that nutty headspace, but maybe because it was boring for her… she said ‘Make it sound like Iggy!’ She loves Iggy Pop. So I just took that Nile Rodgers thing and just played Iggy Pop chords. She said, ‘Yeah that’s cool!’ And I was like, Oh really!” Angie, The Smiths have a lot to thank you for.

So it’s a Sunday evening, we get to Morrissey’s house. I prayed that it was the one night of the year that he didn’t leave the house! He opened the door and I’m stood there with this guitar. He said ‘What’s happened?’ I said, ‘Check this out!’

“He knew me pretty well by this point, so he said OK, went and got this little tape machine. I was on the stairs in his hallway and I started putting it down. As I was putting it down, I thought, this song needs another bit – ‘Rebel Rebel’!”

And that became ‘Hand In Glove’, which was the best Smiths song at that point, I think. We were rehearsing, either the next day or the day after, and I showed Mike and Andy. I said, check this bit out. Andy, who’d played with me since being 14, goes ‘I’m sure that’s ‘Rebel Rebel’”

-Johnny Marr

Last edited:
It’s not like any other single, this one is different

.“Angie had just passed her driving test and her parents had loaned her this little VW Beetle that we used to sort of hang out in. I said, ‘Get me round to Mozzer’s!’ Cos he’s got a tape machine. So we got in the car like I was going to have a baby, you know?
Marr then sits like a child on his seat, cradling the birth of his new riff, “So I’m in the car, trying not to change this riff – cos you just change stuff, you know? So all the way though this 20-minute ride to Mozzer’s, I’m playing the riff.

“Angie always leaves me to it when I’m in that nutty headspace, but maybe because it was boring for her… she said ‘Make it sound like Iggy!’ She loves Iggy Pop. So I just took that Nile Rodgers thing and just played Iggy Pop chords. She said, ‘Yeah that’s cool!’ And I was like, Oh really!” Angie, The Smiths have a lot to thank you for.

So it’s a Sunday evening, we get to Morrissey’s house. I prayed that it was the one night of the year that he didn’t leave the house! He opened the door and I’m stood there with this guitar. He said ‘What’s happened?’ I said, ‘Check this out!’

“He knew me pretty well by this point, so he said OK, went and got this little tape machine. I was on the stairs in his hallway and I started putting it down. As I was putting it down, I thought, this song needs another bit – ‘Rebel Rebel’!”

And that became ‘Hand In Glove’, which was the best Smiths song at that point, I think. We were rehearsing, either the next day or the day after, and I showed Mike and Andy. I said, check this bit out. Andy, who’d played with me since being 14, goes ‘I’m sure that’s ‘Rebel Rebel’”

-Johnny Marr

Not nearly as momentous, but I also like this remembrance:

Rourke said when he showed the recording to his parents his father was "mortified. He said to me, 'that's a bloke's bum' and I said, 'yeah' but when he asked me why I just didn't have an answer for him".

And Sam posts a super low resolution .gif file on Central so we all get that nostalgic 80s feeling.
Hmm, maybe Sam's omnipresent copyright right credit claims on Central really refer to his uploading skills...at least here is the credit due ^^

Morrissey - Vocals
Alain Whyte - Guitars & Backing Vocals
Boz Boorer - Guitar
Gary Day - Bas Guitar & Double Bass
Spencer Cobrin - Drums ;)

Morrissey - Lead Vocals/Tambourine/Maracas and such (?) :)
Alain Whyte - Vocals/Electric Guitar/Screaming through Humbuckers
Boz Boorer - Electric guitar and Acoustic guitar
Gustavo Manzur - Vocals/Keyboards/Acoustic Piano and Classical Guitar
Jonny Bridgwood - Bass (both)
Matt Walker - Drums/Percussion

That's just my choice for a best-possible-sounding lineup comprised of his past (it's sad) personnel. Though, your choice is (of course) proven to be capable of revitalizing a solo career :)

Last edited:
It’s not like any other single, this one is different
It’s not like any other single, this one is different because our lives would never be the same again. It’s hard to imagine how our lives would have been without the Smiths and Morrissey. Such a beautiful day.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom