The first Smiths release and single "Hand In Glove" was released 30 years ago today by Rough Trade Records in the UK (original release date: May 13, 1983).
- Johnny Marr on "Hand In Glove" - dailymail.co.uk - May 8, 2013
- "Not Like Any Other Love: The Smiths" - The Culture Show, BBC 2 - May 12, 2013 reminder / reports - May 12, 2013
- May 13th, 2013: 30th Anniversary of Hand In Glove - AndyRourke.com. Link posted by Uncleskinny.
- These Charming Men - The Smiths from the archive - The Guardian. Link posted by Uncleskinny.
- Ed Chapman makes Moz Mosaic to mark 30 years since Hand In Glove release - forum post by Uncleskinny
- Daily Telegraph 'debates' ~ The Smiths: best or worst band of the last 30 years? - forum post by joe frady
- "Hand In Glove" - Morrissey-solo Wiki
- Smiths on Screen - "A Taste Of Honey" screening and panel discussion in Stockport:
The Smiths on Screen celebrates 30 years to the day since the release of The Smith's debut single Hand In Glove on 13th May 1983 which was recorded at Strawberry Recording Studios, Stockport.
The presentation will feature exclusive documentary footage and a discussion about the band's cultural influences with guest speakers Len Brown, author of Meetings With Morrissey, and Mick Middles, author of The Smiths' The Complete Story. The afternoon concludes with a screening of one of Morrissey's favourite films A Taste of Honey, written by Shelagh Delaney, which was an inspiration for the lyrics of Hand In Glove and other Smiths' songs. Some scenes were filmed on location in Stockport and feature St Mary's Church and Stockport Viaduct.