$300,000 loss claimed by promoter Colors due to cancelled Morrissey concerts in Peru

An anonymous person writes:

Apparently the promoters have lost $300,000 due to Moz cancelling - who is 'uninsurable' due to his health problems - and are trying to get their money back. Good luck with that.

Empresa que trajo a Morrissey a Lima ha perdido hasta ahora US$ 300 mil - El Comercio.pe

Google translate to English link. Excerpt:

Colors CFO also said he did not hire insurance because the singer "is not insurable health problems"

That Morrissey decided to cancel two performances that were pending in Lima resulted in major economic loss for Colors, the company responsible for the arrival of the British singer to our country. Cristian Pereira, chief financial officer of the institution, said that so far the amount of losses amounting to $ 300,000.

"I have not the final figure. People Megashow, company hired to do the show from Morrissey in Peru, is seeing that in Lima. However, the loss costs: subject to lease by the Jockey Club, hotel, transfers, taxes ..., comes to $ 300,000. In Chile the tax paid to the artist only if it sings, but if you do not cancel your submission. Instead in Peru we had to cancel the income tax and all that belonged to Morrissey could SUNAT to leave Peru.

Several versions are shuffled about canceling Morrissey shows in Lima. It is said that he refused to sing because doctors did not give due attention when intoxicated, also unsold tickets for their performances in Lima. What really happened?
The information I use is that on Saturday night the artist went to lunch at a place recommended by us and not part of their team was bad. Then doctors in Lima who treated him did not get the best treatment and dehydration produced a kind of artist. However, what I can categorically deny is that the artist would have refused to sing for low input. We had the tickets sold for the two presentations.

Morrissey came wrong for some time, and had canceled performances in other countries and the possibility of it happening again was latent. Why not hire insurance?
That issue was our concern. When hired as Morrissey company, we wanted to take out insurance and we noticed with surprise that he is uninsurable by the health problems you have. However, we risk.

Do you evaluate Morrissey sue for the cancellation of their shows?
We could have taken legal action against his people, but he wanted to do because we want to maintain a good relationship with the artist and it would cancel all shows missing. We will ask the agent Morrissey to reimburse us the money we gave him, because as you know any artist out of the country if not canceled. The loss is huge.

What is strange is that they have canceled the two dates only Morrissey had planned in Peru, as in Chile postponed seven shows will take place on the last leg of the South American tour.
Not so. In Chile have confirmed only five performances, were canceled both. The first will be on August 8 and the last on 23 March. We're really sorry with what happened, also with a great pressure on social networks Peru people basureado us, especially for being Chilean entrepreneurs. And this is not good because as Colors, we focus on Peru.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst obviously wary of translation issues etc one thing that does not surprise me from this is the fact that Morrissey is in effect uninsurable
Working in the industry I have wondered as to wheher it was possible for Moz to get insurance to cover cancellation etc given his history of cancelling dates
I'm shedding as many tears for the promoters as I do for the bookies who get fleeced when a big favourite ropms home
It's a risky business especially with no insurance in place but that's the name of the game
I read the interview as that they've paid some money up front - think they will regret that

Unfortunately I can't see many promoters taking chance with more Moz tours - if he is fit enough to carry on touring ( which has got to be up for debate) then who would take the risk??

Yes, I agree,unfortunately :tears:

I had the same impression of the article. It makes me so sad to think Morrissey can't get tour insurance.

It sounds like they are asking Morrissey to reimburse them for the monies they gave him in advance...i doubt they'll see a dime. Morrissey probably also feels like the victim after what happened to him!

I agree with other posters that we don't know the whole story and this is a personal matter. But, it's the promoters that have acted highly unprofessional airing all thus info publicly. So now, it up for public discussion. They are fools, don't they know once you piss Moz off, he can blacklist you forever?!

What the...???

There's huge shit happening. Focus on that.

This story is a big deal if you are a big fan, which I know you are.

Yes, it's just one company, but Morrissey can't afford to burn any bridges at this point. Its just plain troublesome!

I just hope they don't change their minds and sue him!

So, when this promoter states he lost $300,000, does that mean potential earnings from ticket sales, drinks, his cut from merch sales, etc, or this is what he is out from him paying Morrissey to show up?

Morrissey would have earned $150,000 per night to sing for 90 minutes? I understand he needs to pay the band and the crew, but even so, no wonder he tours as much as he does.

I wonder what Concerts and Hollywood parties Morrissey will be attending this week as part of his recuperation.

"Dehydration produced a kind of artist."

Oh shit. I thought it was the OPPOSITE! I thought you just had to ADD WATER!

Right, that's it, I'm leaving the whole mess behind. From now on I shall concentrate on nothing more complicated than limoncello and painting my toe.
Ciao tutti!

So, when this promoter states he lost $300,000, does that mean potential earnings from ticket sales, drinks, his cut from merch sales, etc, or this is what he is out from him paying Morrissey to show up?

Morrissey would have earned $150,000 per night to sing for 90 minutes? I understand he needs to pay the band and the crew, but even so, no wonder he tours as much as he does.

Whatever the split is its highly lucrative, obviously. I think it might also be the reason we aren't getting new material released. Touring is jam today, a new album is jam in eighteen months, and then only possibly. I don't blame him, but I think he's missing a real opportunity to make himself relevant once more.

Whatever the split is its highly lucrative, obviously. I think it might also be the reason we aren't getting new material released. Touring is jam today, a new album is jam in eighteen months, and then only possibly. I don't blame him, but I think he's missing a real opportunity to make himself relevant once more.
Damn right! As I have posted elsewhere, when he really is finished this period will be looked back on with some sense of sadness.
He is still capable of great things, and the last time I heard, his voice is still great but all we have is nonsense.

Damn right! As I have posted elsewhere, when he really is finished this period will be looked back on with some sense of sadness.
He is still capable of great things, and the last time I heard, his voice is still great but all we have is nonsense.

It all sounds a terrible messy business

Can the guy get himself some f***ing decent management or at least a reliable, professional publicist!! how sad to have to rely on a fan's website!! "true to you" is probably the most boring website I have come across!! so poorly designed!!!

Can the guy get himself some f***ing decent management or at least a reliable, professional publicist!! how sad to have to rely on a fan's website!! "true to you" is probably the most boring website I have come across!! so poorly designed!!!

This.

I think he's unmanageable and has been since the Smiths. Management issues were part of the events leading to the Smiths breakup, and there's an interesting parallel with the Beatles there by the way. When Epstein died McCartney took over the day to day running of the band, and Marr took over management duties of the Smiths too to a greater or lesser extent. The result was the same in both cases.

As for Morrissey's publicists they can only tell the world what they themselves are told. If the client disappears off to LA unannounced what can they do? Guess?

As I wrote last week Morrissey is running out of road, and that's also why, to take the analogy to its logical conclusion, he's off the beaten track in South America. Morrissey's past is coming back to haunt him. He's famously difficult, which is diplomatic speak for "he's an arsehole". Who would manage him? Who would act as his publicist? Who would insure him? Who would promote him? Who would book him? Who would give him a recording contract? Increasingly, who would buy tickets to see him? In the specific case of Colors, who would fancy being owed $300,000 by him? Ouch. The CEO must have swallowed something hard and jagged when that call came through.

As a Brit everything here is quite close by. I'm an hour from Stonehenge, forty-five minutes from central London, ninety minutes from Birmingham, and three hours with a fair wind to Manchester. It amazes and impresses me that in the States, for example, seeing Morrissey often involves two days off work, flights or ten-hour road trips and hotels, before show tickets, merchandise, food and drink are added. I'm not sure I'd take the risk anymore. I'd need to see him get through a tour or two unimpaired before I'd travel even to the London Palladium to see him at the moment.

Last edited:
I think he's unmanageable and has been since the Smiths. Management issues were part of the events leading to the Smiths breakup, and there's an interesting parallel with the Beatles there by the way. When Epstein died McCartney took over the day to day running of the band, and Marr took over management duties of the Smiths too to a greater or lesser extent. The result was the same in both cases.

As for Morrissey's publicists they can only tell the world what they themselves are told. If the client disappears off to LA unannounced what can they do? Guess?

As I wrote last week Morrissey is running out of road, and that's also why, to take the analogy to its logical conclusion, he's off the beaten track in South America. Morrissey's past is coming back to haunt him. He's famously difficult, which is diplomatic speak for "he's an arsehole". Who would manage him? Who would act as his publicist? Who would insure him? Who would promote him? Who would book him? Who would give him a recording contract? Increasingly, who would buy tickets to see him? In the specific case of Colors, who would fancy being owed $300,000 by him? Ouch. The CEO must have swallowed something hard and jagged when that call came through.

Unfortunately, you are correct. This is why great artists are often lousy business people, and why talent and vision are no guarantee of success. It takes discipline, PR acumen and a willingness to play by at least a minimum set of rules to get ahead. It's a miracle that Morrissey made it as far as he did. That's why, back in the day, so many people (myself included) had our doubts about his future. The man appears to be ungovernable.

As per the Beatles: McCartney really was the one with the head for business. It seems to have infuriated John (along with so many other things). Paul certainly deserves credit for attempting to steer what was essentially an artistic corporation through such a rough period (even if did result in embarrassments like "Magical Mystery Tour"). Of course the Beatles didn't end well, but that was due to so many unavoidable creative, emotional and personality issues.

Poor J. Marr never had a chance in that department either: artistic management is a pursuit best left to gamblers, ambitious accountants and masochists. In any event, Morrissey and Marr had so much in common with Lennon and McCartney: they were doomed from the start, but we're all lucky that they held on for as long as they did.

Unfortunately, you are correct. This is why great artists are often lousy business people, and why talent and vision are no guarantee of success. It takes discipline, PR acumen and a willingness to play by at least a minimum set of rules to get ahead. It's a miracle that Morrissey made it as far as he did. That's why, back in the day, so many people (myself included) had our doubts about his future. The man appears to be ungovernable.

As per the Beatles: McCartney really was the one with the head for business. It seems to have infuriated John (along with so many other things). Paul certainly deserves credit for attempting to steer what was essentially an artistic corporation through such a rough period (even if did result in embarrassments like "Magical Mystery Tour"). Of course the Beatles didn't end well, but that was due to so many unavoidable creative, emotional and personality issues.

Poor J. Marr never had a chance in that department either: artistic management is a pursuit best left to gamblers, ambitious accountants and masochists. In any event, Morrissey and Marr had so much in common with Lennon and McCartney: they were doomed from the start, but we're all lucky that they held on for as long as they did.

It's fashionable to deride McCartney these days, some of it is deserved, and he also suffers a little in the public consciousness from being the one who wasn't shot, but after Epstein McCartney at least kept the band alive. In that time they delivered some great stuff. We'd think less of them if their career had ended with Revolver.

Marr did very well in the circumstances. It's a shame he walked away, but who could blame him?

It's fashionable to deride McCartney these days, some of it is deserved, and he also suffers a little in the public consciousness from being the one who wasn't shot, but after Epstein McCartney at least kept the band alive. In that time they delivered some great stuff. We'd think less of them if their career had ended with Revolver.

Marr did very well in the circumstances. It's a shame he walked away, but who could blame him?

From what I understand, it was also Paul's decision to go with Lee Eastman when John, George and Ringo all backed Allen Klein that helped feed the ultimate split. Management makes all the difference.

Is Paul being derided these days? Not here in the US. It fascinates me that Paul is justly lauded as one of the greatest songwriters/musicians of all time, but John has been elevated to international status as a martyr and a secular saint. Poor Paul - always on top, but always one step behind.

J. Marr should never have had to take responsibility for any type of management - it's a deal killer. There was no future for The Smiths with such a broken relationship at the core of the band. Decent management would have bought them a little more time but ultimately, as with Lennon and McCartney, public adulation and dueling creative egos made survival impossible.

McCartney was sneered at in the press for his Olympics performance, and his general demeanour, which seems to be of a pretty nice bloke. Fatal.

Also, my Mum hates him. And Joss Ackland.

With all due respect to your Mum, how could anyone hate Paul McCartney? I've found him occasionally irritating over the years, but ultimately he's one of the few humans to have done far, far more good than harm (Temporary Secretary could, however, be sighted as justifiable cause).

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom