30 years of Moz - what are the top 20 songs?

Nicko Manuva

I've been listening to Morrissey since 1988, right at the start of his solo career. 30 years have gone by, and today I'm trying to select my favourite tracks from his solo work to put on one CD. It's not easy - there are too many good songs to choose from. And it's a dilemma because I'd like to have Southpaw on there, but that's 3 songs' worth of time gone!

I'm curious to know which songs others would select for a compilation that reflect's Moz's work since 1988. Which ones would you pick, if you were limited to 80 minutes total?

Please accept my humble apologies for being new to this site and not having read the entirety of the archives.

Surely this question is under constant review, with every new release potentially pushing others off the list? Anyway, if anyone finds it not too tiresome, then please post your thoughts on the subject. Otherwise, simply ignore this thread and carry on with your lives!

So Uncle Skinny hates Morrissey, but has been a member of this site since the year 2000 and posted 16,000 messages? No doubt there's a naked man standing laughing in his dreams, and he knows who it is but he doesn't like what it means ;)

Please accept my humble apologies for being new to this site and not having read the entirety of the archives.

Surely this question is under constant review, with every new release potentially pushing others off the list? Anyway, if anyone finds it not too tiresome, then please post your thoughts on the subject. Otherwise, simply ignore this thread and carry on with your lives!
never mind skinny,this is a good post because with new material it changes all the time,favourite song at the moment is THE EDGES ARE NO LONGER PARALELL.whats yours.

The new material would struggle to touch the top 200 never mind the top 20 to be fair.
so HOME IS A QUESTION MARK wouldn't be in morrisseys top 200 songs,geez peace.

If you were to do a definitive compliation of the solo stuff it would have to be a double album or a triple album even. There's more than enough material, if your including non-singles too.

so HOME IS A QUESTION MARK wouldn't be in morrisseys top 200 songs,geez peace.
How many songs does he have, anyway? It's toward the bottom in my esteem along with things like Please Help The Cause Against Loneliness.
It's just very, very calculated, and as an instrumental, it's even worse.

Thanks for the encouragement, Gordyboy. I've never heard 'The edges are no longer parallel'. Will have to check that one out.

Stephen Hoffman, you're right... I'd already come to the conclusion that to include all my favourites would take at least 3 CDs. But I've chosen to limit it to one CD only, for the fun of it. And I'm trying to select stuff through the years rather than loads of tracks from one period.

To make my selection I've been listening to all my Moz albums (and I own most of them). What surprised me is that at the moment out of 22 potential songs selected so far, three of them are from Ringleader of the Tormentors, which I had hitherto written off as a rubbish album.

In terms of albums as a whole, my favourites are Your Arsenal, You are the Quarry, and Low in High School.

There is a gap in my collection - I've never owned or heard 'World Peace...' so I can't comment on that one. It is on its way to me in the post though.

I've got this lot so far (and please, people, don't get angry or abusive about it, it's all subjective and opinions may differ!). In order of release date, not preference:

Suedehead
Every Day is Like Sunday
The Last of the Famous International Playboys
Our Frank
We hate it when our friends become successful
Certain people I know
Glamorous Glue
The more you ignore me, the closer I get
Now my heart is full
Southpaw
Satan rejected my soul
Irish Blood, English Heart
Dear God please help me
You have killed me
I'll never be anybody's hero now
I'm throwing my arms around Paris
All you need is me
Jacky's only happy when she's up on the stage
Home is a question mark

Thanks for the encouragement, Gordyboy. I've never heard 'The edges are no longer parallel'. Will have to check that one out.

Stephen Hoffman, you're right... I'd already come to the conclusion that to include all my favourites would take at least 3 CDs. But I've chosen to limit it to one CD only, for the fun of it. And I'm trying to select stuff through the years rather than loads of tracks from one period.

To make my selection I've been listening to all my Moz albums (and I own most of them). What surprised me is that at the moment out of 22 potential songs selected so far, three of them are from Ringleader of the Tormentors, which I had hitherto written off as a rubbish album.

In terms of albums as a whole, my favourites are Your Arsenal, You are the Quarry, and Low in High School.

There is a gap in my collection - I've never owned or heard 'World Peace...' so I can't comment on that one. It is on its way to me in the post though.

I've got this lot so far (and please, people, don't get angry or abusive about it, it's all subjective and opinions may differ!). In order of release date, not preference:

Suedehead
Every Day is Like Sunday
The Last of the Famous International Playboys
Our Frank
We hate it when our friends become successful
Certain people I know
Glamorous Glue
The more you ignore me, the closer I get
Now my heart is full
Southpaw
Satan rejected my soul
Irish Blood, English Heart
Dear God please help me
You have killed me
I'll never be anybody's hero now
I'm throwing my arms around Paris
All you need is me
Jacky's only happy when she's up on the stage
Home is a question mark
don't make your cd till you have heard worldpeace because staircase at the university could make it onto your list.the edges are no longer parallel should make it onto your list,just type it into youtube and enjoy.

don't make your cd till you have heard worldpeace because staircase at the university could make it onto your list.the edges are no longer parallel should make it onto your list,just type it into youtube and enjoy.

You're right, 'The Edges...' is a good one, especially now I've read the explanation on these forums about the edges now heading away from each other ad infinitum like the two ex-lovers, and also possibly being the edges of a coffin as opposedto a bed.

There must be loads of non-album tracks I've overlooked because I haven't bought a Morrissey single since the 90s. (Minus 1,000,000 points for not being a true fan!). Might have to invest in 'Swords'.

Back
Top Bottom