3 yrs later, how do you rate WPINOYB?

In a couple of weeks it will three years since Morrissey's last studio album, World Peace Is None Of Your Business, was released. At the time, even a lot of the more harshly critical fans here hailed it as a worthy offering; a return to form. But what about now that it has steeped for awhile?

Those who didn't like it at first, has it grown on you ?

Those who loved it, has your enthusiasm waned?

What are your thoughts on the album now that you have some perspective?

i had it on my phone for over a year and that would be listening the whole way through two or three times a week so I was a big fan of it,especially the production and as we are hearing chicareli might be involved again.was even better with the songs like forgive someone and arthounds tagged on made it even better.ps who would have ever thought of hand claps at the end of a Morrissey song as in staircase.

Loved it then and still do. It's my go to morrissey album out of the latter phase (the last four albums). Not only has the production improved from the last two it's a scatter shot of what I consider classic morrissey musical style and lyrical themes with a few new pieces like the Spanish guitar part to staircase. I thought songs like I'm not a man mt joy and smiler with knife really brought back into light the more poetic morrissey lyrics as well

Love the production and also most of the melodies and lyrics. I rank Smiler and Man as two of the very best songs he's written since his 2004 comeback. Same goes for most of the bonus disc, and especially Forgive Someone.

Got it on vinyl last week after listening to it on and off for a few years.
I think its a decent record, not a classic but its got a group of great tunes.
What is dissapointing is that I feel that some stronger songs are on the deluxe version and im hoping for the apparant 're-release' to have an adjusted tracklist, like an alternative version, giving a reason to re-buy.

My choice for a alt-world peace -

World Peace is Still None of Your Buisness?

1: World Peace (spoken word)
2: Art-Hounds
3: Forgive Someone
4: Earth is The Loneliest (spoken word)
5: Istanbul
6: Neal Cassidy Drops Dead
7: Julie in The Weeds
8: Oboe Concerto
9: Kiss Me A Lot
10: Mountjoy
11: Drag the River
12: I'm Not a Man
13: One of Our Own

I think it is another strong album as all of the albums since Morrissey's "comeback" (from YATQ onwards) have been. Morrissey's voice is still impressive and the production certainly benefited the album.

The strongest songs are possibly Istanbul, Staircase at the University, I'm Not a Man and Kiss Me a Lot, and several of the bonus songs on the deluxe edition would have been good contenders for the album proper.

It's my least favorite Morrissey album, by far.

Easily the best record since 2004. I agree that some of the extra tracks were better then some from the album.

I maintain Morrissey is more ''likeable'' when he isn't trying to preach or make a statement, but is rather gentle and personal (as he was on Vauxhall and the 4 extra tracks, too).

I must be the only one who thought the bonus song to be mediocre. I agree it is pleasant to see morrissey being a little gentle and vulnerable again but I found the songs to be kinda bland. Also doesn't kiss me a lot use hand claps as well. Joe did a really good job on this album. All the songs it seemed this time around were really filled out musically speaking from the choice of accordion bells and everything else thrown in made for a satisfying listen and I appreciated some of the songs weird structures like the beat poetry of Neil Cassidy which fit the songs subject really well and the way I'm not a man built to a climax. A lot of variety on world peace without it feeling disjointed at all

It's more cohesive I feel than YOR, not as cohesive as YATQ or even Ringleader. I still adore the production, and I like many of the songs. The "A-side" as I like to think of it is superb, but for me it tapers off right around "Kiss Me A Lot." "Smiler," "Bride," and "Oboe" don't do much for me.

Overall the production rates it higher than YOR and Ringleader for me, but Ringleader is a bit more of an "even" work in my eyes in terms of the consistent quality of the content. WP is top-heavy on the A-side with just "Mountjoy" redeeming the B-side.

It's more cohesive I feel than YOR, not as cohesive as YATQ or even Ringleader. I still adore the production, and I like many of the songs. The "A-side" as I like to think of it is superb, but for me it tapers off right around "Kiss Me A Lot." "Smiler," "Bride," and "Oboe" don't do much for me.

Overall the production rates it higher than YOR and Ringleader for me, but Ringleader is a bit more of an "even" work in my eyes in terms of the consistent quality of the content. WP is top-heavy on the A-side with just "Mountjoy" redeeming the B-side.

Really though with twelve songs the b side would start at bull fighter but I agree the first two thirds of the album are stronger. Smiler is one of my least fav songs on the album. It has a great vocal but musically it annoys me a bit and oboe is just kinda bland until the last bit and last line.

I quite enjoyed it when it came out, but I hardly listen to it at all these days. I think the production is great - it sounds really good, but the songs are very inconsistent. There are a couple of great tunes (eg: Staircase, I'm Not a Man), but a lot that are average or worse. A lot of the lyrics are bloody awful as well, which is a first for a Morrissey record - the title track is horrendous, and chug-a-long stuff like Kiss Me a Lot and The Bullfighter Dies would struggle to make the grade as throwaway B Sides from the Smiths or earlier solo days.

Ultimately, I'd rank this as probably the worst Morrissey album (it's a toss up between this and Kill Uncle.)

I thought about it a lot, why I do like WPINOYB so much.
First of all, I do like all his albums and for me WPINOYB comes second, ex-quo with Viva Hate after Vauxhall And I.
I think WPINOYB is his most serious, expressing even more deeply all things that is in his mind and inner world. I think it has come to the closest as he possibly can get in getting that across as an artist exploring and expressing himself.

There are signs of a deep awareness about what life is, what death is, what love is and forgiveness.
I like for instance the big contrast between Kiss Me A Lot and Smiler With Knife.
I know many people dislike Kiss Me A Lot as it is seen as commercial, lightweight and throw away lyrics.
But then you miss that what he is expressing in that song and that is the overwhelming, magical feeling of being in love, longing to kiss your love, forever and always and anywhere and never mind about anything.
I'd say that is a magical feeling and a universal feeling that anybody can relate to as it is an important part of life too.

Then, in contrast there is Smiler With Knife.
Even if there is the wish to die and the invitation to Death itself to take him,
The music is so beautiful and almost denying Death is the end of it all.
As if you go through some tunnel of light and then, there is something, a non describable, magic, spiritual like existence.
Moz and his band did something there that has been always a underlying goal of great art.
To defeat Death. And in a way this song does that to me.

All the other songs are great too.
Mountjoy is unbelievable, without precedent.
I don't know any other singer ever doing that.

I'll stop now, otherwise this post becomes even longer then it already is.
:thumb:

I rate it quite highly. I'd place it in my Moz Top 5

1. Vauxhall And I
2. Your Arsenal
3. You Are The Quarry
4. World Peace...
5. Years Of Refusal

I think this album stands out simply for the fact that Morrissey's younger audience appeared to really embrace and enjoy it.
The people I saw at recent gigs who were clearly half my age were extremely enthusiastic towards those songs and it obviously resonated with them which was refreshing as others made their way to the bar.
Regards,
FWD.

Very nice Iive rendition of "Smiler". And quite unique too I believe, cause it was very seldom done live.
His voice is excellent and I like it he more or less does it as a declamation in a not overdramatic way.
And after all the critical things said about Jesse Tobias guitar playing, this sounds very good to me.
Thanks for sharing! Zagreb was in for a treat!
Much appreciated :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom