3 decades of electronic music - massive scene interview

Discussion in 'Other Music archive (read-only)' started by The Seeker of Good Songs, Jan 7, 2010.

1. The Seeker of Good Songs

The Seeker of Good Songs Well-Known Member

(By Stéphane Froidcoeur and Vlad McNeally) In early December 2009, I suddenly realized that not only was the year was coming to an end, but also a decade, and I got the idea to look back to what happened in the electronic music scene during the past 10 years. So, I started brainstorming the idea of making a special article about the subject until I realized that this would be also an opportunity to look back on three decades of electronic music as well!

30 years of electronic music sounds a bit surreal, don't you think? I guess for the younger addicts, it's quite normal, but they of course never knew a world without electronic music! But I remember in the early 80s, when listening to bands like Front 242, Cabaret Voltaire, Nitzer Ebb, The Klinik and a lot of those other early artists that it all sounded like a real challenge to compose that kind of music. 30 years later, we can affirm without any hesitation bands being active in the 80s were real pioneers, creating a new style of music that only increased in 'popularity' during the 90s and after the new millennium! I've to admit that a few pioneers were already experimenting with electronic music in the late 70s and I'm sure some even go back to before even that decade, but I think we can all agree that the 'underground electronic music' we here have in mind achieved real significance and importance during the 80s.

There's probably no real date we could name and now commemorate as being the date when the first electronic song was ever released... so the early 80s definitely remain to others and myself the early years... the beginning! So, I got the idea to celebrate this happening by a very special and, dare I say it, UNIQUE and HISTORICAL interview. Together with Vlad McNeally, my partner in crime for this interview, and thanks to the help and contribution of DJ Wildhoney and DJ23 (two other Side-Line members), we started this interview by contacting over 40 influential and rising artists from the scene. Bands, labels, DJ's, and even promo companies were contacted, each of them getting three questions taken from a wider list. We didn't hesitate to contact some famous bands from the 80s and 90s as well as artists from the last decade. The reactions were quite enthusiastic, and in the end we got an impressive contribution from over 20 of these artists!

This mass interview is intended to be a look back to the early years as well as the evolution of underground electronics over this 30 year period. Though I personally regret we didn't get more input from labels and weren't able to get in touch with a few 'big' names, I can easily imagine that all the 'missing' artists and labels just didn't get the time to answer us during the Xmas holidays rather than that they simply weren't enthusiast about the idea! Whatever, though - I would prefer to mention and sincerely thank all the artists for their great, enthusiastic and sometimes very detailed answers! I hope you'll all enjoy reading this interview as much as I enjoyed making it!

Being now involved in Side-Line for nearly 20 years, I have made tons of reviews and interviews, but this one is without a shadow of doubt one of the best! (Stéphane Froidcoeur aka Deranged Psyche).

Alphabetical order of the artists, labels, and DJs who contributed to this interview:

* ADAM-X
    * ALFA MATRIX (Bernard Van Isacker)
    * ARMAGEDDON DILDOS
    * ASSEMBLAGE 23
    * ATTRITION (Martin Bowes)
    * BILL LEEB (FRONTLINE ASSEMBLY, DELERIUM, NOISE UNIT ao)
    * CAT RAPES DOG
    * COVENANT
    * CRUNCH POD (Ben Arp; also member of C/A/T)
    * DEPENDENT
    * DIVE
    * DJ23
    * DJ HIVE
    * DJ WILDHONEY
    * KMFDM (Sascha Konietzko)
    * LUC VAN ACKER (ex REVOLTING COCKS ao)
    * NEON JUDGEMENT (Dirk Da Davo)
    * NOISUF-X & X-FUSION (Jan Lehmkämper)
    * OOMPH! (Flux)
    * PROMOFABRIKK (German promo agency set up by Leo von Leibnitz)
    * SEBASTIAN KOMOR (ZOMBIE GIRL, ICON OF COIL, KOMOR KOMMANDO ao)
    * SUICIDE COMMANDO
    * TERRORFAKT
    * THOMAS RAINER (NACHTMAHR, L'ÂME IMMORTELLE)
    * VNV NATION (Ronan Harris)
    * X MARKS THE PEDWALK (Sevren Ni-Arb)

from: http://www.side-line.com/interviews_comments.php?id=44062_0_16_0_C

[The article is too long to post here. To read it in it's entirity see the above link.]