Morrissey Central "2022: Goodbye, then" (December 31, 2022)

TELEMMGLPICT000308869545_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq1N-0BbrGahnullJmqzE3fwBg51WFmWqoxGezc3HjXbw.jpeg

Mavis Nicholson, RIP.

Mavis died September 8, 2022.

Morrissey's Central post in 2020:
"Mavis Nicholson is, or was - or is still the best television interviewer from these isles. She broadcast the most compelling TV interviews with James Baldwin, Kenneth Williams, Bette Davis, Nina Simone, Germaine Greer, David Bowie … but somehow had only an afternoon transmission - never evening, unlike most of the traditionally sexist male interviewers. I was lucky enough to be interviewed by her in, I think 1991, when she came to visit me with a small crew of technicians. I was so much in awe of Mavis … her humanity, her ease, her intellect … that I typically completely messed it all up. I didn't think I was ready for such an important interview … I didn't think I was "me" yet, and I rattled on so much about self-destruction and the inevitability of suicide that I later asked Mavis not to air our conversation. She agreed not to … probably thinking it to be just too much. I often wonder where those tapes ended up. On a skip, perhaps. But nonetheless, her very impressive interviews ought to be either re-shown or made available on DVD because they are absolutely a vital study of how to get the best out of the subject … no sex jokes, no fake and intrusive audience laughter, no loud or lavish sets … just a very classy connection requiring nothing but gentle charm and the power of words."
Morrissey, December 2020.

FWD.

all the best ones are dead.
parkinson was the most overrated chat show host,mavis was fantastic,spent many an afternoon watching her a long time ago,her guests should have been lying down during these interviews,its almost therapy.

Mavis died September 8, 2022.

Morrissey's Central post in 2020:
"Mavis Nicholson is, or was - or is still the best television interviewer from these isles. She broadcast the most compelling TV interviews with James Baldwin, Kenneth Williams, Bette Davis, Nina Simone, Germaine Greer, David Bowie … but somehow had only an afternoon transmission - never evening, unlike most of the traditionally sexist male interviewers. I was lucky enough to be interviewed by her in, I think 1991, when she came to visit me with a small crew of technicians. I was so much in awe of Mavis … her humanity, her ease, her intellect … that I typically completely messed it all up. I didn't think I was ready for such an important interview … I didn't think I was "me" yet, and I rattled on so much about self-destruction and the inevitability of suicide that I later asked Mavis not to air our conversation. She agreed not to … probably thinking it to be just too much. I often wonder where those tapes ended up. On a skip, perhaps. But nonetheless, her very impressive interviews ought to be either re-shown or
made available on DVD because they are absolutely a vital study of how to get the best out of the subject … no sex jokes, no fake and intrusive audience laughter, no loud or lavish sets … just a very classy connection requiring nothing but gentle charm and the power of words."

Morrissey, December 2020.

FWD.
Thanks FWD. Good to have context and an interesting anecdote.

"... just a very classy connection requiring nothing but gentle charm and the power of words."
Hard to come by anymore.

Happy New Year, motley Mozzerians, and remember,
The most impassionate song
To a lonely soul
Is so easily outgrown

Happy New Year to Moz, & all on So-Low. Hope all the label crap gets sorted out soon.
Do Your Best and Don't Worry.

Last edited by a moderator:
all the best ones are dead.
parkinson was the most overrated chat show host,mavis was fantastic,spent many an afternoon watching her a long time ago,her guests should have been lying down during these interviews,its almost therapy.
Great points!

Rustling Harty was an overrated waste of space too. Here's a Harty Bowie carcrash cringefest:

Last edited:
Happy New Year to everyone on Moz Solo. A benevolent bunch of like-minded self-diagnosed lunatics united in our interest in all things related to our Moz. Here's hoping the world finally listens in 2023.

Happy New Year to everyone on Moz Solo. A benevolent bunch of like-minded self-diagnosed lunatics united in our interest in all things related to our Moz. Here's hoping the world finally listens in 2023.
And LIHS will be properly reviewed.

A lot of sad departures in 2022, often too early.
But happy new year to all solo’ers here, and in particular those keeping the site up and running. Undoubtedly, 2023 will be better with new Morrissey music and shows to discuss. But whatever happens in the world of Morrissey ( hope for the best), please be good to yourself and kind towards others.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom