2011 Tour

http://www.calmac.co.uk/timetables/summer-timetables.htm?id=summer-cowal--gourock-dunoon.png

Given that they link the ferry departures to train arrivals, it would seem reasonable to assume that these train options should provide sufficient time to hop it off the train and onto the ferry? I'm not all that concerned though, as I'll just be checking into our accommodation and relaxing for a bit (unless we don't stop off in Glasgow for food?).

I bet Dunoon is full of Veggie Restaurants :lbf:

thanks.
well if everything going as i planned the train arrives at 2 o clock (not 2.30) the next calmac ferry goes at 2.20 which is prob not possible to catch
as the walking distance is 23 minutes from the railway station
http://maps.google.de/maps?f=d&sour...55.958979,-4.81287&spn=0.010835,0.027595&z=15
next ferry goes at 3.20 then (calmac ferry goes once in every hour)

the other company western ferry goes much more often.every 15 minutes
2.00, 2.15 ,2.30,2.45,3.15
http://www.western-ferries.co.uk/mptimes.shtml#

and there is are several busses going from the railway station
every 20 minutes to the western ferry terminal (mcinroys point)
http://maps.google.de/maps?f=d&sour...,-4.836044&spn=0.021671,0.055189&z=14&start=0
see googlemaps link

no busses to the calmac ferry as far as i can see,so one cannot be able to catch the 2.20..

The first google map is giving you bad directions. The train from Glasgow arrives at Gourock Station and the CalMac Ferry terminal is behind it. POINT A on your map is the train station and the ferry terminal. If you look at the directions, the grey line is the way a car would have to drive, not if you got off the train. If you get the 2 oclock train, you will be at the ferry terminal at 2.01pm.

Here's a picture I took which should help.

P1030799.jpg

The long low building on the curve to the right of the CalMac ferry is the train station. You basically just walk back along the pier to get to the boat. The little white buildings at the bottom of the mountains across the water are Dunoon.

My friend spoke to the ferry people a few weeks ago and they assured her that any foot passengers will be taken across, so don't panic

Once you step off the train, the ferry is literally a 30 second walk. There's plenty of space on board the ferry, so wouldn't worry about overcrowding. I don't know if you can pre-book - or what the point would be - you just queue up when the ferry pulls into the pier.
If you haven't booked a hotel for the night in Dunoon, please be aware that the ferry you will have to get back is not a CalMac ferry and does not leave from the pier in town, you will have to walk to the Western Ferries pier about 2 miles out of town (or try to get a taxi, but not likely on a Saturday night). Over-crowding might be an issue on that one, I don't know... depends how many plan to get it. Lots, I imagine.
If you want to know anything else, just ask. There are issues getting to Dunoon if the weather is shite, but also issues getting from Dunoon after 9pm... What a shit place to have a gig!!

If I skip lunch in Glasgow, I'll be getting on the Ferry at about the same time. The closest I've been to the place is Greenock, so I bow to Karl on this one, but I still very much doubt that we need to be pre-booking tickets? From my research (so far) a return ticket on the day seems to be in order.

No, the last CalMac boat out of Dunoon is about 9pm. You'll have to get a Western Ferries boat back to Gourock, which is not the same company and do not leave from the same place in Dunoon.

For a 20 minute ferry journey, foot passengers shouldn't worry. You'll get on and get across. You might have to stand, but it's a hell of a view from the ferry deck so it's not a bad thing.

off topic but everytime i read a post of yours i cant help thinking that the round headed one is writing it, i read all your posts in his voice.......head like a f***in' orange!

class

Here's a picture I took which should help.

P1030799.jpg

The long low building on the curve to the right of the CalMac ferry is the train station. You basically just walk back along the pier to get to the boat. The little white buildings at the bottom of the mountains across the water are Dunoon.

That looks GORGEOUS and I'm really sorry I'll miss this one.

Here's a probably stupid idle question: how is all of Morrissey's stuff getting there? I mean, obviously the people can ride the ferry, but what about a couple of lorry-fulls of expensive fragile equipment? Can big trucks fit on the ferry?

That looks GORGEOUS and I'm really sorry I'll miss this one.

Here's a probably stupid idle question: how is all of Morrissey's stuff getting there? I mean, obviously the people can ride the ferry, but what about a couple of lorry-fulls of expensive fragile equipment? Can big trucks fit on the ferry?

If they're coming from Inverness it's probably just easier to drive there. The drive is only terrible if you're coming from a southerly direction.

No, the last CalMac boat out of Dunoon is about 9pm. You'll have to get a Western Ferries boat back to Gourock, which is not the same company and do not leave from the same place in Dunoon.

Good point. Although I must admit, I was assuming that people would be stopping in Dunoon overnight.

Good point. Although I must admit, I was assuming that people would be stopping in Dunoon overnight.

I must admit, I kept quiet until my hotel room in Dunoon was confirmed - in case someone tried to jump in there. It's not a massive problem, you just have to start walking straight after the gig. I'll be sipping a gin & lemonade. The potential demand for that last Western Ferries crossing put me off altogether, though. Drink - Morrissey - Drink - Hotel bed - Breakfast - Home, seemed like a much more acceptable Saturday night/Sunday.

Re. tickets arriving in different bundles, I got my tickets for Perth, but still waiting for my Inverness tickets. Glad to see I'm apparently not the only one receiving them separately...

As for Perth, mine says 'Standing', but also has row/seat filled out...wtf?

Re. tickets arriving in different bundles, I got my tickets for Perth, but still waiting for my Inverness tickets. Glad to see I'm apparently not the only one receiving them separately...

As for Perth, mine says 'Standing', but also has row/seat filled out...wtf?

Yes my Dunfermline are ' general admission' but still have seat numbers on. Happens quite a bit they will definately be standing.

'There's a dear little spot on the shores o' the Clyde,

I'll lo'e it for ever what e'er may betide,

For my heart fills wi' joy when ale nature's in tune,

As I stroll wi' my true love in Bonnie Dunoon.

Chorus

Oh! Bonnie Dunoon, sae heavenly fair,

Where e'er I may wander my heart will be there,

Wi' high heather hills keeping guard o'er the toon,

Aye my thoughts will be yonder in Bonnie Dunoon.

Gin the sweet highland air is a cure for maist ills,

There's lang life for mony wha roam the braw hills,

Whaur the sweet scented air like a garden in June,

Mak's oor lives worth living in Bonnie Dunoon.

Chorus

Romantic Glen Morag the sweet fairy glen,

Is famed for its beauty the fond lovers ken,

Whaur the birds chatter gaily or pipe a sweet tune,

As they share in the pleasures o' Bonnie Dunoon.

Chorus
castle_toward_dunoon02601s.jpg

I must admit, I kept quiet until my hotel room in Dunoon was confirmed - in case someone tried to jump in there. It's not a massive problem, you just have to start walking straight after the gig. I'll be sipping a gin & lemonade. The potential demand for that last Western Ferries crossing put me off altogether, though. Drink - Morrissey - Drink - Hotel bed - Breakfast - Home, seemed like a much more acceptable Saturday night/Sunday.

Absolutely. I was in the bath when my wife walked in with the laptop and said "Right, I'm booking Dunoon tickets". I said that I would sort accommodation (this was Thurday) after we came back from a trip down south. By the time I looked on Sunday I could see that rooms were booking up fast.

I've got more rooms to sort out for the tour, but they shouldn't be a problem.

Janice Long, BBC Radio2, just played 'Rubber Ring' and announced that Morrissey was playing Glastonbury this year as the final act before U2 come on. Couldn't remember which night that was.
Well U2 are confirmed for Friday the 24th of June. Moz is playing Grimsby that night. I reckon Janice is getting confused. She played Elbow just before The Smiths. Elbow announced a month ago that they are playing before U2 on Friday night.
Poor old dear. She's lovely, and plays great music, but sometimes she does talk guff :)

Janice Long, BBC Radio2, just played 'Rubber Ring' and announced that Morrissey was playing Glastonbury this year as the final act before U2 come on. Couldn't remember which night that was.
Well U2 are confirmed for Friday the 24th of June. Moz is playing Grimsby that night. I reckon Janice is getting confused. She played Elbow just before The Smiths. Elbow announced a month ago that they are playing before U2 on Friday night.
Poor old dear. She's lovely, and plays great music, but sometimes she does talk guff :)

Crickey, that could send folk into a mass hysteria of buying and selling Grimsby/Glastonbury tickets. Silly old mare :)

Back
Top Bottom