2004 June 25th Meltdown, Royal Festival Hall London, UK

drifter

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PHIBSJ60

25 June 2004
Meltdown 2004, Royal Festival Hall, London, UK

Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice
Shakespeare's Sister
How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?
Let Me Kiss You
I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday
The Headmaster Ritual
Such A Little Thing Makes Such A Big Difference
I Have Forgiven Jesus
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
First Of The Gang To Die
The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
All The Lazy Dykes
No One Can Hold A Candle To You
Rubber Ring
Subway Train/Everyday Is Like Sunday
I'm Not Sorry
/Irish Blood, English Heart

This was the first of two Morrissey gigs at the tail end of the Meltdown festival which he was curating. He had already given a concert at the beginning of the festival. This one seems to have been even more appreciated by the people who attended. Morrissey was in great spirits and very talkative, replying to fans' shouts and touching the hands of the ones in the front rows. The fans were very ecstatic and quite a few managed to make it on stage, particularly during "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out".

"Hairdresser On Fire" which had been a regular so far on this tour (as well as on the previous one in 2002) was dropped from the setlist. It would not return. In its place "The Headmaster Ritual" was reinstated. In general the setlist was significantly scrambled. The encore of "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" was moved up halfway into the main set. "Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice" was moved up as the opener, right before "Shakespeare's Sister" which was being performed for the second time ever.

When Morrissey hit the stage, he greeted his fans in Spanish. Soon after he enquired to the people in the front "Any problems?". He might have been worried about the well being of some of them being crushed by the people behind. When asked "How was Sweden?", he replied "Fantastic?". Someone else enquired "How's your mum?" which understandably perplexed him "Why do you want to know?... She's wonderful!".

He introduced "Let Me Kiss You" as "...a Nancy Sinatra song". Throughout the evening he would talk about the Meltdown festival, saying how fantastic it had been, even thanking whoever was responsible for curating it! He asked the fans if they had been to see Lypsinka, The New York Dolls, James Maker or Nancy Sinatra (who he described as "Sensational!"), all booked by him to perform as part of the festival. Someone asked "Why didn't you mention Alan Bennett?", prompting Morrissey to say "Ah, so you noticed that I didn't mention Alan Bennett".

"The Headmaster Ritual" was introduced with "Old songs can still have meaning (crowd cheers)... you don't know what I am going to sing... It could be 'Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep'". After the song, he added "But that one doesn't [have meaning]". He was probably disappointed with the performance of it.

Introducing "First Of The Gang To Die", Morrissey said "This is the next single... which is released July 12th and, if Keane don't mind, should be a hit". Keane had beaten Morrissey to the #1 spot on the album charts the week "You Are The Quarry" was released, keeping it at #2, hence the comment. He actually also had something to say about the latter album: "This week, for the first time in 700 years 'You Are The Quarry' went up the chart, which means that sales everywhere generally went down." In his typical self-depreciating way, he asked "What are you cheering that for? Oh I see, it's just general support".

Fans were anticipating the return of guitarist Alain Whyte, but he still wasn't back. "Our friend, Lil' Barrie", as he was nicknamed by Morrissey when the band members were introduced, still stood in Alain's shoes. Morrissey also had something else to say during the introduction, this time about himself: "And I am someone who you really, really wouldn't want to know".

When asked "Why do you come here?" (hopefully not their way to request 'Suedehead') Morrissey replied "Well, I like you!". He mentioned an awards ceremony he had attended recently, saying "Will Young was declared Artist of the Year... so that's it... Will Young is the. Artist. Of. The. Year." There were a few words with front row regular Julia Riley, though perhaps not as much as usual. Morrissey ended up throwing two shirts into the audience, including a Jobriath one.

BOOTLEGS

An audience recording of the whole concert is circulated on bootleg DVDs.

INFO FROM passions Just Like Mine

Back
Top Bottom