(I'm) The End Of The Family Line
Everyday Is Like Sunday
Our Frank
Disappointed
Piccadilly Palare
Suedehead
/Trash
//I've Changed My Plea To Guilty

This was Morrissey's first real solo concert, and his first time on tour in over four years. The 1500 tickets sold out in just 47 minutes! Most of the songs on the evening's setlist were given their live debut, only "Interesting Drug", "Suedehead", "Disappointed" and "The Last Of The Famous International Playboys" from this set had been played earlier, in 1988 in Wolverhampton. The remainder of the setlist was composed of songs from the new album "Kill Uncle", earlier solo singles, a few b-sides/covers and two yet-to-be-released songs.

The debut gig of the Kill Uncle tour was a really wild one and was positively reviewed in the press everywhere. Upon entering the stage, Morrissey just stood there for a long time, ecstatic in the roar and screams from the crowd. There wasn't much security and a great number of fans invaded the stage as early as the first song. This prompted Morrissey's first comment, before "The Last Of The Famous International Playboys", when he asked "I'd like to... I'd like to just say from... miserable words... it's a tss-tss-tss-tss-tss... it's very nice to be here, and it's really touching but if you don't come on the stage then we can play better". This didn't seem to have much of an effect on the audience's enthusiasm who sang along with their idol and kept trying to reach him.

Many songs from "Kill Uncle", such as "Sing Your Life" or "King Leer", were given a rockabilly style when played live on this tour, while older mid-tempo singles such as "November Spawned A Monster", "Everyday Is Like Sunday" or "Piccadilly Palare" were played faster or with more punch. Morrissey also played a few songs that had yet to be released, such as "Pregnant For The Last Time" which would be put out as a single a few months later. He introduced it with "Just in case anybody's bootlegging, this is a new song, for your benefit, the bootleggers, it's called 'Pregnant For The Last Time'." The song was still a work-in-progress and would go through lyric changes on many dates of this tour. On this first ever performance Morrissey reversed the lines "If ever we had the chance to" and "If ever we had the nerve to", and replaced the "Tiny stripe socks..." and "Pokes and prods..." lines with repeats of the "Corned beef legs..." and "People's Friend..." ones.

In "King Leer", Morrissey changed a few words in the line "more than just a poor hint of cruelty". B-side "That's Entertainment" was introduced with "this is a cover version". During "Our Frank", Morrissey was knocked to the ground by an excited fan. Before "Piccadilly Palare", Morrissey said "this song was an absolutely huge hit... but not for me" and before "Suedehead" he said something everyone in the place must have already known: "this song, this was my, my very first hit single". After "Suedehead" Morrissey thanked the audience and everyone left stage for a break.

The fans obviously wanted more and the band was asked back for a few encores. The first of these, "Trash", was being played for the first time ever. It would never be recorded for release, otherwise than in live form on the "Live In Dallas" concert video. The song was introduced with "I'd like to... just say... quiet... a few more words... if I'm allowed... thank you... We'd like to... sh-sh-sh-sh-shut-up! We'd like to make a dedication... we'd like to dedicate this song to... Mr Johnny Thunders who died on Tuesday in New Orleans, and this is for him". Thunders was a member of the New York Dolls, the band who originally did that song.

Before the second encore, to someone who shouted "I love you, Steven", Morrissey replied "thank you, but I don't know who Steven is". Next up was "I've Changed My Plea To Guilty" which like "Pregnant For The Last Time", would be released later in the year. After covers of the Jam ("That's Entertainment") and the New York Dolls ("Trash"), a cover of T-Rex's "Cosmic Dancer" was also planned. It was scheduled as one of the encores but wasn't played.

BOOTLEGS

A poor audience recording of the whole concert is circulated on cd-rs from traders, and as digital files on the internet. The latter files are slightly resequenced ("Our Frank" pushed down at the end of the list) and edited for excess crowd noise.

Back
Top Bottom