The Headmaster Ritual
Still Ill
Meat Is Murder
/Miserable Lie
//Barbarism Begins At Home
///You've Got Everything Now
////Handsome Devil****

**** Not on Bootleg

Oxford was given the rarer "You've Got Everything Now", but regular "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" and occasional "Reel Around The Fountain" were not played.

As he entered stage, Morrissey greeted the audience "Hello, we're the other funny Manchester group" and the band launched into set opener "William It Was Really Nothing". In that number Morrissey made a slight mistake when he sang "...and if you like you can buy the ring, *I* doesn't care about anything". Before "What She Said", knowing that the concert was being recorded for posterity, Morrissey announced "I hope you take notes ... this will all be relevant one day". The most recent release "Shakespeare's Sister" was introduced with the words "This is our new single... which is about the greatest woman that ever lived..."

Coming back for the encore Morrissey announced "This is being taped by the jolly BBC, so if anybody has anything clever to say, say it now and go down in history". The performance of "Miserable Lie" which followed was a very lively one. Morrissey rolled his 'R's, changed some of his words and echoed the endings of certain lines as he had been doing at the time. After the song he asked "Any questions?". In "You've Got Everything Now" Morrissey took even more liberties with his lyrics than he usually did. Besides changes heard before, he sang "I've seen you smile, but can you throw back your head and really laugh?".

This concert was recorded by the BBC. It was first broadcast two months later on Janice Long's programme and is still broadcast now and then around the world. Live versions of "Nowhere Fast", "Stretch Out And Wait", "Shakespeare's Sister" and "Meat Is Murder" from this BBC recording are available on the "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" single and the Holland-only "The Headmaster Ritual" single. These same songs minus "Shakespeare's Sister" are available on the "The Headmaster Ritual" cd-single. "Miserable Lie" is also available on the Canadian and Dutch Rough Trade Records compilation LPs simply titled "Compilation". "What She Said" was given away on a covermount 7" titled "Poll Winners" included with a 1985 issue of the NME. Finally, "Meat Is Murder" was included on the UK edition of the "Animal Liberation" LP. This version includes about 20 extra seconds of audience noise than the b-side version mentioned above.
Does anyone have an audience recording of/including the deleted songs????

Thank you for posting this.

Downloading it now.

Back
Top Bottom