14 Steps To A Better World

Coiffeur_En_Flame

In response to the current deluge of threads about religion, animal rights, freedom of speech etc, I've decided to post the '14 Precepts' by Buddhist monk, scholar and Nobel Peace Prize nominee Thich Nhat Hanh. I strongly believe that if more people were to follow these simple guiding principles and incorporate them into their lives, the world would be a far brighter place. If I had my way, a framed copy of these principles would also be put on the wall of every government office in the world, so that leaders may think more deeply about consequence when making decisions. I'm not posting this to start another debate on religion - there's already a thread for that - but merely to share these simple and wise practices.

1. Do not be idolatrous about or bound to any doctrine, theory, or ideology, even Buddhist ones. Buddhist systems of thought are guiding means; they are not absolute truth.

2. Do not think the knowledge you presently possess is changeless, absolute truth. Avoid being narrow-minded and bound to present views. Learn and practice nonattachment from views in order to be open to receive others' viewpoints. Truth is found in life and not merely in conceptual knowledge. Be ready to learn throughout your entire life and to observe reality in yourself and
in the world at all times.

3. Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education. However, through compassionate dialogue, help others renounce fanaticism and narrowness.

4. Do not avoid contact with suffering or close your eyes before suffering. Do not lose awareness of the existence of suffering in the life of the world. Find ways to be with those who are suffering, including personal contact, visits, images, and sounds. By such means, awaken yourself and others to the reality of suffering in the world.

5. Do not accumulate wealth while millions are hungry. Do not take as the aim of your life fame, profit, wealth, or sensual pleasure. Live simply and share time, energy, and material resources with those who are in need.

6. Do not maintain anger or hatred. Learn to penetrate and transform them when they are still seeds in your consciousness. As soon as they arise, turn your attention to your breath in order to see and understand the nature of your anger and hatred and the nature of the persons who have caused your anger and hatred.

7. Do not lose yourself in dispersion and in your surroundings. Practice mindful breathing to come back to what is happening in the present moment. Be in touch with what is wondrous, refreshing and healing both inside and around you. Plant seeds of joy, peace, and understanding in yourself in order to facilitate the work of transformation in the depths of your consciousness.

8. Do not utter words that can create discord and cause the community to break. Make every effort to reconcile and resolve all conflicts however small.

9. Do not say untruthful things for the sake of personal interest or to impress people. Do not utter words that cause division and hatred. Do not spread news that you do not know to be certain. Do not criticize or condemn things of which you are not sure. Always speak truthfully and constructively. Have the courage to speak out about situations of injustice, even when doing so may threaten your own safety.

10. Do not use the Buddhist community for personal gain or profit, or transform your community into a political party. A religious community, however, should take a clear stand against oppression and injustice and should strive to change the situation without engaging in partisan conflicts.

11. Do not live with a vocation that is harmful to humans and nature. Do not invest in companies that deprive others of their chance to live. Select a vocation that helps realize your ideal of compassion.

12. Do not kill. Do not let others kill. Find whatever means possible to protect life and prevent war.

13. Possess nothing that should belong to others. Respect the property of others, but prevent others from profiting from human suffering or the suffering of other species on Earth.

14. Do not mistreat your body. Learn to handle it with respect. Do not look on your body as only an instrument. Preserve vital energies (sexual, breath, spirit) for the realization of the Way. (For brothers and sisters who are not monks and nuns:) Sexual expression should not take place without love and a long term commitment. In sexual relationships, be aware of future suffering
that may be caused. To preserve the happiness of others, respect the rights and commitments of others. Be fully aware of the responsibility of bringing new lives into the world. Meditate on the world into which you are bringing new beings.

If you want to find out more about Thich Nhat Hanh and his teachings, please visit www.plumvillage.org

Coiff.

Interesting post that should be bumped and not backended to page two. I disagree with a few of them and number two basically is a conundrum of sorts as if all doctrine is not absolute then that very rule and the entire list is not absolute thus invalidating the rule that begins it. Whatever - but it should be kept in the forefront of the forum.

Do not accumulate wealth while millions are hungry.

This is silly and reveals the author has never studied basic economics.

This is a great post and the fact that it's on the second page and only three people have bothered to reply to it goes to show that people would rather sit back and bitch than try to change things.

You get a gold star, Coiff. :)

reminds me of that "Everybody's free to wear sunscreen" speech from like, 8 years ago or so? anybody remember that?! :p

reminds me of that "Everybody's free to wear sunscreen" speech from like, 8 years ago or so? anybody remember that?! :p

i do! i always heard it on the radio but never knew what the hell it was or why it was played.
t'was a song no? or it had something at the end?

i do! i always heard it on the radio but never knew what the hell it was or why it was played.
t'was a song no? or it had something at the end?

it was that "everybody's free" song from the Romeo and Juliet soundtrack. and some dude making this inspirational/funny speech over it. it was supposedly a graduation speech someone made, but then I later heard that it really was never given at a graduation. im not sure.

it was that "everybody's free" song from the Romeo and Juliet soundtrack. and some dude making this inspirational/funny speech over it. it was supposedly a graduation speech someone made, but then I later heard that it really was never given at a graduation. im not sure.

I was miscredited to Kurt Vonnegut, but it was really started by an awesome Chicago Tribune columnist.

I was miscredited to Kurt Vonnegut, but it was really started by an awesome Chicago Tribune columnist.

ahhh. yeah thats right. i vaguely remember that now

i remember that song so well cuz i was in HS at the time, and you know how in HS everything seems to deep and meaningful and you think you're gonna have the same friends forever and ever, and i would listen to that and be like "yesss, i get it." when in reality i hadnt even experienced nearly enough to even relate to a third of what it was saying.

i remember that song so well cuz i was in HS at the time, and you know how in HS everything seems to deep and meaningful and you think you're gonna have the same friends forever and ever, and i would listen to that and be like "yesss, i get it." when in reality i hadnt even experienced nearly enough to even relate to a third of what it was saying.

oh and i bet if there was a myspace back in 1997 EVERYONE under the age of 20 wouldve had that thing on their page.

What a difference seven (or so) years makes! :D

I just like saying "Schmich." Try it, it's fun. Schmich, Schmich, Schmich.

And, in re: the rules: I like sensual pleasure. I'm gonna keep pursuing it. The rest, I will think about.

The rules are great. The problem with the rules is that they only work when everyone else is following the rules along with you.

It's like when you're a kid with a group of buddies and you decide to streak naked across the park but you don't move a muscle because no one will drop trou before everyone else does, too. No one wants to be the lone naked kid.

What, didn't everyone experience that?

9. Do not say untruthful things for the sake of personal interest or to impress people. Do not utter words that cause division and hatred. Do not spread news that you do not know to be certain. Do not criticize or condemn things of which you are not sure. Always speak truthfully and constructively. Have the courage to speak out about situations of injustice, even when doing so may threaten your own safety

:p

Fundamentalist!

:)

The rules are great. The problem with the rules is that they only work when everyone else is following the rules along with you.

It's like when you're a kid with a group of buddies and you decide to streak naked across the park but you don't move a muscle because no one will drop trou before everyone else does, too. No one wants to be the lone naked kid.

Yes, it happened last night. I was very embarrassed.

Not really.

Meditation gets you beyond being the lone naked kid, beyond lone, beyond naked, beyond context. It takes a long time (years, if you're lucky), but it's worth it; especially something like tonglen, which gets a practitioner beyond "the other" by dissolving boundaries. I'm doing a bad job of explaining it here, but maybe if you read the wiki entry on Lojong?

Meditation gets you beyond being the lone naked kid, beyond lone, beyond naked, beyond context. It takes a long time (years, if you're lucky), but it's worth it; especially something like tonglen, which gets a practitioner beyond "the other" by dissolving boundaries. I'm doing a bad job of explaining it here, but maybe if you read the wiki entry on Lojong?

I was being slightly facetious. I know a few people into meditation and so on and I'm sure it's beneficial to individuals.

I suppose my post was more a response to the idea that this set of rules can be a curative in a broad social context, e.g. the recommendation above about having all the governments of the world posting these in their offices. The title of the thread should be "14 Steps To A Better You" rather than "14 Steps To A Better World".

Back
Top Bottom