Joan Rivers statement on TTY

To be quite honest, however, a person can be from anywhere in the world, and it wouldn't matter. People are people. I just think it's interesting Robin Williams was thought to be Jewish when he looked very Irish to me.

Yes, people are people, but people are also the sum of their parts—and a huge part of what made Joan Rivers (and a lot of other Jewish comedians) who she was as a comic was the fact that she was a Jew born in America in the 1930s. So I do think it matters, and it's important to acknowledge. Knowing she was Jewish gives her material context. (I don't think you're saying differently, I'm just clarifying my POV.)

I think a lot of people assume Robin Williams was Jewish simply because he was a comedian, a field which has (at least in the US) historically been dominated by Jews. Having dark hair and a prominent nose* didn't hurt, either!

*If anyone tries to call me antisemitic for saying that, I'll post a picture of myself.

Thank you, CrystalGeezer, for your rational and logical response. It’s really uncommon in those politically correct times.
As a rigorous reader of Morrissey-solo, I've always thought that realitybites is much more intelligent.

Do you need to update your contact lens prescription? Geezer thinks I called Joan anti-Semitic. I didn't. You agree that I am mentally impaired for calling Joan anti-Semitic--which I didn't? And yes, I still am and will always be more intelligent than Geezer. Thank you for noticing. I have something that places me at a distinct advantage: I am a rational thinker. Ration thought trumps delusional thinking all days of the week.

Last edited:
People are not born Jewish. They may be born to Jewish parents, however. Just as one is not born Catholic. One is born to parents who practice/subscribe to Catholicism. Is that still unclear?

It really is not that cut and dry, RB, not even for Jews who have spent hundreds of years talking about this very subject. Jewishness is not only a chosen religion for a great many people, even among those of us who consider ourselves atheists. It wasn't only a religion to the Nazis, either.

Thank you, CrystalGeezer, for your rational and logical response. It’s really uncommon in those politically correct times.
As a rigorous reader of Morrissey-solo, I've always thought that realitybites is much more intelligent.

You're welcome. It's an act, she can't even follow the direction of a conversation, much less offer anything to it.

Regarding your surprise for Morrissey liking Joan, he's no stranger to admiring strong-willed women with big mouths. I'm not surprised in the least.

People are not born Jewish. They may be born to Jewish parents, however. Just as one is not born Catholic. One is born to parents who practice/subscribe to Catholicism. Is that still unclear?

Jehne...

Whatever you are born into is what you will inevitably be. I think it's very clear and you're being unnecessarily technical.

He was born Episcopalian but he had great love and respect for the Jewish community.

It really is not that cut and dry, RB, not even for Jews who have spent hundreds of years talking about this very subject. Jewishness is not only a chosen religion for a great many people, even among those of us who consider ourselves atheists. It wasn't only a religion to the Nazis, either.

Jewishness is about community as well. The only people who claim it is a race are the anti-Semitics (Nazis, Russians, white supremacists, skinheads, etc.) and the Zionists. For different reasons, of course. But most moderate, educated Jews agree that Judaism is a religion, an identity, a community but NOT a biological race. Can one look Jewish, as hand in glove alluded to? And she accused me of Eugenics? Ha!

Jehne...

Whatever you are born into is what you will inevitably be. I think it's very clear and you're being unnecessarily technical.

He was born Episcopalian but he had great love and respect for the Jewish community.

Yes, ascribed birth statuses have much to do with the categories you will remain in throughout your life. I understand Your Robin Williams comment very clearly--thank you for the info. But your other comments lead me to believe you are ignorant regarding the differences between race, religion, ethnicity, and nationality.

Yes, ascribed birth statuses have much to do with the categories you will remain in throughout your life. I understand Your Robin Williams comment very clearly--thank you for the info. But your other comments lead me to believe you are ignorant regarding the differences between race, religion, ethnicity, and nationality.

:rolleyes:

But of course...

Honey, I never stepped down from it. You can't take the height? Then stop looking up.

I'm not looking up....your high horse doesn't come up to my ankles.

I love the way Morrissey shoots these little dark missives of death from the abyss of celebrity nothingness and it goes straight to the heart. Dig it.

Jewishness is about community as well. The only people who claim it is a race are the anti-Semitics (Nazis, Russians, white supremacists, skinheads, etc.) and the Zionists. For different reasons, of course. But most moderate, educated Jews agree that Judaism is a religion, an identity, a community but NOT a biological race. Can one look Jewish, as hand in glove alluded to? And she accused me of Eugenics? Ha!

As far as aggressive dog breeds go - yeah. You did sound like a budding Hitler. That's just the truth. So, Ha... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And, before you start - I'm not Anti-Semitic or a racist of any kind. Never have been and never will be.

As far as aggressive dog breeds go - yeah. You did sound like a budding Hitler. That's just the truth. So, Ha... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And, before you start - I'm not Anti-Semitic or a racist of any kind. Never have been and never will be.

I don't think you are. But the way you wrote... well... just saying it could be perceived as, at the very least, politically incorrect. Eugenics had to do with humans not dogs. So claiming that pit bills are a dangerous dog breed which should be eliminated form the gene pool is hardy Hitleresque.

But most moderate, educated Jews agree that Judaism is a religion, an identity, a community but NOT a biological race. Can one look Jewish, as hand in glove alluded to?

Yes, and that's down to ethnicity and genetics, just like many other groups of people who can trace their origins back to specific parts of the world and certain genetic markers. In fact, many Jews opt to get genetic testing done before having children (or even before choosing to marry a certain person) for that very reason:
https://www.yu.edu/jll/genetichealt...s-education/program-resources/genetic-basics/
http://www.yu.edu/jll/genetichealth...testing/hereditary-breast-and-ovarian-cancer/

(I don't think anyone here mentioned race, fwiw.)

Eugenics and Speciesism are the same thing.

"Lately, death is insatiable. Thank God black goes with everything..."

Leave it to Moz to use Joan Rivers' death to evaluate his own wardrobe. Joan would have liked that. Probably the least sentimental of tributes, but a tribute nevertheless.

Hah! I thought the same. It was a Joan-esque comment to make, which I am sure was intentional.

You must be a jolly bald giant then.

You know RB, it's obvious to everyone here including your self, that you have a tendency towards defensive arrogance. Especially when the thread is about death.

Sex and death. It's a problem...you need to work it out. I have some suggestions......

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom