Scathing article:Guardian: Morrissey You're a Fraud.(Morrissey & his fans have ruined everything)

Re: Scathing article:Guardian: Morrissey You're a Fraud.(Morrissey & his fans have ruined everything

Thank you very much for the clarification.

Yes, just because Cameron openly endorses Morrissey, not all the people who like his work have the same status as Cameron.

Which the journalist wrote in her article, "It's the 40-plus cohort who have changed. Not all of them; there are plenty of struggling fortysomethings out there..."

Re: Scathing article:Guardian: Morrissey You're a Fraud.(Morrissey & his fans have ruined everything

The article is so spot on it is scary. Rarely does a journalist write anything where him or her is right in every word published. Maybe this is my new idol though one should never have those.

This is standard Guardian Comment is Free fare. Total bollocks from start to finish.

Here's a recent favourite...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/08/dread-daughter-poos-smaller-girl-conform

By the way, Mike Joyce was on Five Live today to talk about the unveiling of the Frank Sidebottom statue in Timperley this morning. The Morrissey book came up, naturally.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/bigscreen/radio/episode/b03dd6pk/

Circa 2 hours, 45 minutes.

Last edited:

What a diabolical, steaming turd of an article. Utter drivel from start to finish.

The bourgeoisie by any other name would be the same.

I did not get ownership over the means of production along with my vinyl copy of Viva Hate. There seems to have been some sort of mistake, should I write to the record company informing them of this defect?

I did not get ownership over the means of production along with my vinyl copy of Viva Hate. There seems to have been some sort of mistake, should I write to the record company informing them of this defect?

Should have downloaded it. Then you could have stuck it to the owner's of production. Marx and Trotsky would approve of downloading... in theory. But in reality, they would own the record companies, factories, and copyrights. And downloaders would be sent to Siberia.

Re: Possibly the oddest Autobiography article I've seen yet...

She is so spot on it is scary and I think this article of hers actually answers why so many even left Solo and stopped being fans of Morrissey. What she writes is of course facts cause Cameron and a host of other Morrissey fans are now in fact in power and dictating other peoples lives. I also love the part about him being this metropolitan that could not care less about the people that made him who he is. The whole article is about not having any idols but doing things on your own and not sitting back adoring others and what they do.
It's been a long time, if it has ever happen before, that I have read something as true as what she wrote in this article.

She is indeed spot on. Morrissey's "Autobiography" has forced his hand, and he is no poker player, he is a delusional cultural troll extraordinaire. His 'fans' are as disturbed as their cult leader, and he has destroyed his audience and legacy with this abysmal collage of unedited diary entries.

He appears to be a tax exile, he eats dairy, he is unable to discuss his sex life or confirm he is asexual, thus rendering himself like a insulting version of Cliff Richard, who has now come to peace with himself and confirmed a relationship with an ex-Catholic priest. If Morrissey is not homosexual or bisexual or heterosexual and thinks anyone cares about this 'mysterious sexuality' or his faux-vegetarianism, then he is welcome to carry on with the myrmidons who infest his concerts and this site, insisting that he has papal robes when the Emperor has no clothes.

It's over. It has been for a long time. Morrissey has just written the funeral rites. He's called it "Autobiography". It's one of the worst books I've ever read. It is the death of Penguin and a fatal assault upon the very premises of serious literature. It's publication to uncritical fanfare is a triumph of marketing muscle and a dire indictment of the cultural crisis that now overwhelms us.

With every good wish, and, maybe, probably, possibly, goodbye:

BrummieBoy

Last edited:

She is indeed spot on. Morrissey's "Autobiography" has forced his hand, and he is no poker player, he is a delusional cultural troll extraordinaire. His 'fans' are as disturbed as their cult leader, and he has destroyed his audience and legacy with this abysmal collage of unedited diary entries.

He appears to be a tax exile, he eats dairy, he is unable to discuss his sex life or confirm he is asexual, thus rendering himself like a insulting version of Cliff Richard, who has now come to peace with himself and confirmed a relationship with an ex-Catholic priest. If Morrissey is not homosexual or bisexual or heterosexual and thinks anyone cares about this 'mysterious sexuality' or his faux-vegetarianism, then he is welcome to carry on with the myrmidons who infest his concerts and this site, insisting that he has papal robes when the Emperor has no clothes.

It's over. It has been for a long time. Morrissey has just written the funeral rites. He's called it "Autobiography". It's one of the worst books I've ever read. It is the death of Penguin and a fatal assault upon the very premises of serious literature. It's publication to uncritical fanfare is a triumph of marketing muscle and a dire indictment of the cultural crisis that now overwhelms us.

BrummieBoy
Yey! Brummieboy is back.
Is it really the worst book you've ever read?
Surely not.

BrummieBoy

Calm down mate, it's only a book.

Calm down mate, it's only a book.

Indeed, and not a 'classic' of the Penguin, or any other variety! But, briefly, The Smiths were not just a band. "there's more to life than books, you know.."

"Autobiography is a little overweight, too, and no bona fide classic, Penguin or otherwise."

Actually, it's a crock of shite.

Last edited:

Strange how you deliberately miss out the positives from this review.

http://www.thenational.ae/arts-cult...-but-long-and-a-bit-catty#page2#ixzz2ikB4leis

"... yet it’s a pleasingly idiosyncratic memoir with a wealth of black humour and it’s share of aphoristic-sounding insights."

"The final 50-60 pages of Autobiography are an extended riff on the act of touring, and much more engrossing than that might imply. The pace quickens, and Morrissey drops into an almost beat-writing style to describe the places he most loves to play, and the places where he is most loved (Mexico, Rome and Denmark)."

"What keeps you keeping on is the quality of the writing. That and the fact that, when he’s not out to settle scores, Morrissey can demonstrate great wit and/or humanity."

A nice review. Thanks.

The author of this venomous article is a hag.

Strange how you deliberately miss out the positives from this review.

http://www.thenational.ae/arts-cult...-but-long-and-a-bit-catty#page2#ixzz2ikB4leis

"... yet it’s a pleasingly idiosyncratic memoir with a wealth of black humour and it’s share of aphoristic-sounding insights."

"The final 50-60 pages of Autobiography are an extended riff on the act of touring, and much more engrossing than that might imply. The pace quickens, and Morrissey drops into an almost beat-writing style to describe the places he most loves to play, and the places where he is most loved (Mexico, Rome and Denmark)."

"What keeps you keeping on is the quality of the writing. That and the fact that, when he’s not out to settle scores, Morrissey can demonstrate great wit and/or humanity."

A nice review. Thanks.

I miss them out because i do not agree with them, hence it would be fatuous to quote. Is that too complicated for you? Don't forget! He sells more tickets than Oasis in Mexico City: THIS IS IMPORTANT! announce it from the rooftops! *lols*

- - - Updated - - -

The author of this venomous article is a hag.

The author of this "Autobiography" is a venomous hag.

Bingo!

- - - Updated - - -

Yey! Brummieboy is back.
Is it really the worst book you've ever read?
Surely not.

I wrote "one of the worst books".

Yes, it's an intellectual abortion.

I miss them out because i do not agree with them, hence it would be fatuous to quote. Is that too complicated for you? Don't forget! He sells more tickets than Oasis in Mexico City: THIS IS IMPORTANT! announce it from the rooftops! *lols*

- - - Updated - - -

The author of this "Autobiography" is a venomous hag.

Bingo!

- - - Updated - - -

I wrote "one of the worst books".
Yes, it's an intellectual abortion.

Yet, you read it three times? It must have been horrible. :rolleyes:

Yet, you read it three times? It must have been horrible. :rolleyes:

I do not comment on books unless I have read them at least once. This was such a car-crash that I had to re-read it a second time to believe it wasn't a nightmare I'd had. Then a third time to list points for serious reviews which obviously, won't appear here. Reviews about the collapse of culture, with no more than a passing reference to your clown-guru-cult-leader.

you still haven't read the book!

Last edited:

I do not comment on books unless I have read them at least once. This was such a car-crash that I had to re-read it a second time to believe it wasn't a nightmare I'd had. Then a third time to list points for serious reviews which obviously, won't appear here. Reviews about the collapse of culture, with no more than a passing reference to your clown-guru-cult-leader.

Riiiggghht. :rolleyes:

This is standard Guardian Comment is Free fare. Total bollocks from start to finish.

Here's a recent favourite...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/08/dread-daughter-poos-smaller-girl-conform

By the way, Mike Joyce was on Five Live today to talk about the unveiling of the Frank Sidebottom statue in Timperley this morning. The Morrissey book came up, naturally.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/bigscreen/radio/episode/b03dd6pk/

Circa 2 hours, 45 minutes.

The content doesn't seem to be available in the US. Could someone record Mike Joyce's comments? I know it is a big favor but they could then be preserved for all of us. It's easy to do with http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ I can't think what I have to offer as thanks but I will find something.

I miss them out because i do not agree with them, hence it would be fatuous to quote. Is that too complicated for you?

Nothing you type is too complex for anybody. Not even your imaginary interns.

You have to be pretty f***en thick if you need to re-read a book three times to do any kind of review on it, hatchet job or otherwise.

the article is an interesting read, I even agree with some of it :eek:
however, the primary thing I took away from it was having pity for its author :o
having that much hate in one's heart and mind cannot be a good thing :straightface:

Tags
autobiography book news observer
Back
Top Bottom