Does Johnny Marr deliver for Smiths fans? - Half Hour Video Interview, Channel 4 News

Re: Does Johnny Marr deliver for Smiths fans? - Half Hour Video Interview, Channel 4

Ooops, I missed this. :o

If you tune in Channel 4 news around 19:45 tonight.

EDIT: it's on now!!

Last edited:
Re: Does Johnny Marr deliver for Smiths fans? - Half Hour Video Interview, Channel 4

The last question is ace. He didn't ask Johnny of the possibility of a Smiths' reunion, but he posed a hypothetical from a musician's standpoint, asking Johnny what HE thinks the Smiths would be like now, musically. Interesting interview.

The last question is ace. He didn't ask Johnny of the possibility of a Smiths' reunion, but he posed a hypothetical from a musician's standpoint, asking Johnny what HE thinks the Smiths would be like now, musically. Interesting interview.

It was an interesting interview. Am starting to really believe these songs were written with the intention of Morrissey providing the voice. "What would a reformed Smiths sound like?" "They'd sound like my new album but with Morrissey singing." I think Johnny Marr has considered a possible reunion and has even submitted tracks. He said in an earlier interview that he had recently reached to Morrissey but got no reply. From the sound for this new album he seems to have approached it by going back to what originally inspired him in the late seventies, by reaching out to the fans and by returning to and embracing what has been called "his sound". I don't think Morrissey is on that page at all, that sound, those ideas, why return back and not go forward? Could Johhny Marr write when last i spoke to Carol? I bet Morrissey heard the tracks and ran and i don't blame him. It Johnny Marr alright but predictably so.

I actually think that last question is f***ing stupid. It's just as annoying as asking if they would reform again.

Yes, they would sound the same, listen to the backing music/guitar on Johnny's tracks. They sound like Smiths b-sides. And putting current Morrissey lyrics on top which are Smiths b-side level as well, you have a pretty good idea of what they would sound like. A workman-like, lower quality Smiths, with no epic/classic songs, but some pretty good to great ones.

It was an interesting interview. Am starting to really believe these songs were written with the intention of Morrissey providing the voice. "What would a reformed Smiths sound like?" "They'd sound like my new album but with Morrissey singing." I think Johnny Marr has considered a possible reunion and has even submitted tracks. He said in an earlier interview that he had recently reached to Morrissey but got no reply. From the sound for this new album he seems to have approached it by going back to what originally inspired him in the late seventies, by reaching out to the fans and by returning to and embracing what has been called "his sound". I don't think Morrissey is on that page at all, that sound, those ideas, why return back and not go forward? Could Johhny Marr write when last i spoke to Carol? I bet Morrissey heard the tracks and ran and i don't blame him. It Johnny Marr alright but predictably so.

Hi MauriceE

I still don't think this was the case. Earlier in the 2000s, perhaps Johnny was still keen on the idea of getting together with Moz, but I believe him now when he so readily says no. I wouldn't be surprised if he got tired of waiting for Morrissey to change his mind, and Morrissey remained too prideful of his solo career to ever give it a passing glance. I feel as though wanted to reform the Smiths in the very early 90s, before he fell in with Boz & co., and at this time, Johnny was still rejoicing in the freedom of session playing and new projects. Once Morrissey started feeling comfortable solo and with a new band, then perhaps it was Johnny's turn to think, "Well, I've had some good fun, learned some things, it'd be nice to get back to business." The timing of the inclinations never really matched up, I think. Once "Quarry" came out to the most massive commercial success of Morrissey's solo career, I'd imagine that Johnny figured there was no longer any chance of it happening and he put it out of his mind completely. I would think Morrissey hasn't legitimately considered a reunion with Marr since the "Kill Uncle" tour.
I honestly believe that Johnny's explanation for his current revisiting of past musical themes is sincere - he's really just doing it for himself. The thought of Morrissey potentially singing on any of these tracks never came into question for him.

Anyway, that's just what makes sense to me :p

I actually think that last question is f***ing stupid. It's just as annoying as asking if they would reform again.

Well it seemed to vaguely interest Johnny more than the question of the likelihood of a reunion. He looks in the interview as if he's preparing to hear the question yet again, and then the interviewer throws him this one and he has to stop and think about it for a second. I didn't say it was a revolutionary question and I'm not saying Marr's answer was completely unpredictable, but to my knowledge it's the first time an interviewer has asked Marr of the creative implications of a Smiths reunion.

I still don't think this was the case. Earlier in the 2000s, perhaps Johnny was still keen on the idea of getting together with Moz, but I believe him now when he so readily says no. I wouldn't be surprised if he got tired of waiting for Morrissey to change his mind, and Morrissey remained too prideful of his solo career to ever give it a passing glance. I feel as though wanted to reform the Smiths in the very early 90s, before he fell in with Boz & co., and at this time, Johnny was still rejoicing in the freedom of session playing and new projects. Once Morrissey started feeling comfortable solo and with a new band, then perhaps it was Johnny's turn to think, "Well, I've had some good fun, learned some things, it'd be nice to get back to business." The timing of the inclinations never really matched up, I think. Once "Quarry" came out to the most massive commercial success of Morrissey's solo career, I'd imagine that Johnny figured there was no longer any chance of it happening and he put it out of his mind completely. I would think Morrissey hasn't legitimately considered a reunion with Marr since the "Kill Uncle" tour.
I honestly believe that Johnny's explanation for his current revisiting of past musical themes is sincere - he's really just doing it for himself. The thought of Morrissey potentially singing on any of these tracks never came into question for him.

Anyway, that's just what makes sense to me :p

Well it seemed to vaguely interest Johnny more than the question of the likelihood of a reunion. He looks in the interview as if he's preparing to hear the question yet again, and then the interviewer throws him this one and he has to stop and think about it for a second. I didn't say it was a revolutionary question and I'm not saying Marr's answer was completely unpredictable, but to my knowledge it's the first time an interviewer has asked Marr of the creative implications of a Smiths reunion.

Johnny has been wanting to do a reunion since he remastered the Smiths stuff in my view, all his recent interviews suggest this. He even publicially said he'd get the Smiths back together recently. These songs sound like a 50 year old man trying to pretend its thirty years ago. I happen to like that 50 year old mans music but it feels like he is reaching for something, something that has past

Johnny has been wanting to do a reunion since he remastered the Smiths stuff in my view, all his recent interviews suggest this.

Really now? They don't suggest that perhaps maybe he wants to put out a solo album and not be asked incessantly in every interview if there's going to be a Smiths reformation?

He even publicially said he'd get the Smiths back together recently.

You do know he was joking when he said he'd reform the Smiths if the government stepped down, right? Here's his explanation of his quote, straight from the horse's mouth, in a recent interview with the Guardian:

Johnny Marr said:
"Some guy stuck a camera in my face. If I don't say something glib, what else is there to say? 'f*** off!'? It would have saved me a lot of trouble."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/jan/11/johnny-marr-smiths-morrissey-politics-pop

Why must you insist Johnny still longs for reunion ? That this is whole album is a love song to Moz ? He (Marr) just want to do his own stuff, his ideas and guess what .................... he will sound like The Smiths. Is that suprising????

Really now? They don't suggest that perhaps maybe he wants to put out a solo album and not be asked incessantly in every interview if there's going to be a Smiths reformation?

You do know he was joking when he said he'd reform the Smiths if the government stepped down, right? Here's his explanation of his quote, straight from the horse's mouth, in a recent interview with the Guardian:

He has been ALOT more positive about Morrissey and the possibility of a reunion in recent times that peaked recently and has now faded and has admitted that he reached out to Morrissey but contact (from Morrisseys side) ended. He has made a return to "his sound" which, lets be clear is larely the sound of The Smiths. None of his previous albums could or would have been described as sounding like a new Smiths record. Having just re-mastered the Smiths albums its clear he felt inspired and confident to return to that Smiths sound. As Johnny was writing those tracks don't you think it makes sense that he was hoping/thinking maybe Morrissey would be providing the voice, Johnny is not a comfortable front man. Perhaps they were in contact then because of the remastering and maybe they even discussed a reunion. Any reunion would have to be based around a new album so maybe Johnny put a demo together and gave it to Morrissey for consideration.
Johnny was inspired to write these new songs by the things that inspired the Smiths, specifically the music of Manchester in the late 70's and he wanted to please the fans, its seems possible these songs were written with a new Smiths record in mind.
Maybe Morrissey wasn't overly impressed with what he recieved, he isn't interested in a return to the Smiths sound, or pleasing the fans, in the same way he wouldn't want to write a new song about how it feels to live a lonely life in a box bedroom in Salford. Those feelings belong to the past. Contact with Morrissey subsequently faded and Johnny was left with a demo full of songs that he thinks sound like a Smiths record, spurned he finally adds his own vocals. His band The Healers are on hiatus but these songs do not come out as a Healers record. Obvoiusly he wouldn't want to say directly in interviews that Morrissey turned down these tracks. I think that final question actually threw him slightly, because he already knew in his mind what a new Smiths record should sound like, "it would sound like that (the new album) but with someone else singing on it" he said.

He has been ALOT more positive about Morrissey and the possibility of a reunion in recent times that peaked recently and has now faded and has admitted that he reached out to Morrissey but contact (from Morrisseys side) ended. He has made a return to "his sound" which, lets be clear is larely the sound of The Smiths. None of his previous albums could or would have been described as sounding like a new Smiths record. Having just re-mastered the Smiths albums its clear he felt inspired and confident to return to that Smiths sound. As Johnny was writing those tracks don't you think it makes sense that he was hoping/thinking maybe Morrissey would be providing the voice, Johnny is not a comfortable front man. Perhaps they were in contact then because of the remastering and maybe they even discussed a reunion. Any reunion would have to be based around a new album so maybe Johnny put a demo together and gave it to Morrissey for consideration.
Johnny was inspired to write these new songs by the things that inspired the Smiths, specifically the music of Manchester in the late 70's and he wanted to please the fans, its seems possible these songs were written with a new Smiths record in mind.
Maybe Morrissey wasn't overly impressed with what he recieved, he isn't interested in a return to the Smiths sound, or pleasing the fans, in the same way he wouldn't want to write a new song about how it feels to live a lonely life in a box bedroom in Salford. Those feelings belong to the past. Contact with Morrissey subsequently faded and Johnny was left with a demo full of songs that he thinks sound like a Smiths record, spurned he finally adds his own vocals. His band The Healers are on hiatus but these songs do not come out as a Healers record. Obvoiusly he wouldn't want to say directly in interviews that Morrissey turned down these tracks. I think that final question actually threw him slightly, because he already knew in his mind what a new Smiths record should sound like, "it would sound like that (the new album) but with someone else singing on it" he said.

There are far too many assumptions holding this theory up. While it would be a lovely thought, you're really not giving much credit to Johnny for what he's reasonably tried to accomplish with this album.

Johnny Marr shot an E-mail to Morrissey (and the other Smiths) about remastering the old albums after he had finished. Morrissey never responded. Johnny has vaguely referred to this in recent interviews, about knowing when to be friends and when to move on.

Morrissey in recent interviews said he had no knowledge of the remasters until they were done--and was probably quite hurt not to have any input--and he says he hasn't made any money from them--so he is probably more pissed about that!

So your theory of reaching out, getting along for a bit, making some demos, and then falling out, is REALLY f***ing wrong since the only contact was Johnny sending an e-mail and Morrissey not responding, you dumb dumb poopyheaded one!

Morrissey in recent interviews said he had no knowledge of the remasters until they were done--and was probably quite hurt not to have any input--and he says he hasn't made any money from them--so he is probably more pissed about that!

Thank God Moz wasn't involved in the remasters, or he'd have swapped the tracklistings around, edited bits out of songs etc.

Thank God Moz wasn't involved in the remasters, or he'd have swapped the tracklistings around, edited bits out of songs etc.

This! Thank god he didn't go an inch near them!

Back
Top Bottom