New Morrissey interview on Greek website LiFO (July 4, 2012)

Re: Morrisseys' new interview in greek website 4.7.2012

http://www.lifo.gr/mag/features/3314

I am not good is Greek-English translations but one question and its answer is of great interest.

Q:Why do you dislike so much morrissey-solo.com ?

A: I don't like the fact that a site using my name is clearly about the Smiths and not for Morrissey.
This site highlights negativism or even more,it is looking for it, a thing that annoys most of people I know.
So,it has become a vechicle for Morrissey haters and no one I know visits this site anymore.The owner claims
that this is an open forum but since everyone posts under the name "Anonymous" how can this be considered open?
The owner of this site approached my former manager last year,saying that all the negative stories would be ended,
if I would pay him 3000 dollars per month.I think this talks by itself.

(This translation is not good because it was made from english to greek and from greek to english,but this is the basic story anyway.)

I believe that his answer explains a lot of stuff going on here...

1242749315_bullshit_amplifier-detector.gif

so despite your assertion that this site is "censorship free" you were apparently willing to give that up without even finding out what the "changes" were just to "work with Morrissey".

I think you must've missed the bit where davidt said...

If it meant 'delete any post that mentions The Smiths' or 'stop anonymous posts or anything critical in general and make it more like true-to-you' it probably wouldn't have worked out very well.

Spare us the Perry Mason routine until you learn how to read.

I think you must've missed the bit where davidt said...

"Quote Originally Posted by davidt View Post
If it meant 'delete any post that mentions The Smiths' or 'stop anonymous posts or anything critical in general and make it more like true-to-you' it probably wouldn't have worked out very well."

But it appears David didn't say that in the meeting? He just said "Yes". Even David agreed here he was prepared to make "changes" - Now David has clarified that certain changes (and none were specifically proposed) "probably wouldn't have worked" but that apparently wasn't mentioned at the time. David hasn't clarified what changes he would be happy to make.

So you are saying Morrissey manager approached you for a meeting.
You agreed but when you met you discussed "other things"
Then you had an exchange that went something like:
Merk: "Would you be willing to work with Morrissey in making changes to your site"
You "Sure"
Then you returned to your discussion of "other things"
but you never went on to ask what those changes might be, so despite your assertion that this site is "censorship free" you were apparently willing to give that up without even finding out what the "changes" were just to "work with Morrissey".
Then either Merk told Morrissey a load of lies (for no reason) or Morrissey completely made up the story himself off the top of his head just to discredit you
I am trying to follow Uncleskinny advice and make up my own mind but i am finding your version hard to believe.

It was an initial introductory meeting, I mentioned I am open to discussions, he was supposed to talk to Morrissey and get back to me but as mentioned, nothing came of it. At the time I thought it was pretty unlikely anything would happen so not a big deal. But if Morrissey is going to the press saying I approached his former manager and demanded $3000 / a month with words to the effect 'that speaks for itself', I'm going to respond and defend myself against this obvious untruth.

If it meant 'delete any post that mentions The Smiths' or 'stop anonymous posts or anything critical in general and make it more like true-to-you' it probably wouldn't have worked out very well."

But it appears David didn't say that in the meeting? He just said "Yes". Even David agreed here he was prepared to make "changes" - Now David has clarified that certain changes (and none were specifically proposed) "probably wouldn't have worked" but that apparently wasn't mentioned at the time. David hasn't clarified what changes he would be happy to make.

It doesn't matter what changes he would "be happy to make" because the conversation never reached that point. You're grasping at straws because you have no real point other than to be critical of David and how he runs his website. You're pathetic, really.

He'd already clarified that he wouldn't compromise on the issue of censorship ("If it meant 'delete any post that mentions The Smiths' or 'stop anonymous posts or anything critical in general and make it more like true-to-you' it probably wouldn't have worked out very well.") before you asserted that he was willing to compromise. You're shit at this.

You agree that a meeting took place (you suggest arranged by Merk - Morrissey suggest you approached Merk) one that you had never mentioned publically before

And it was anyone's business that a meeting took place why? Because you visit this site you think you're obligated to know these things?

You say Merk discussed a "Managment package" but you seem unwilling to expand on what that actually means

David has explained it...you're just too stupid to grasp the concept of what a management package is.

Morrissey said you made an offer to Merk to the effect of - $3000 a year and i'll stop the negative stories on the site

Morrissey also said his autobiography was coming out this December. He also said he wasn't going to mention not having a record deal again. He also said that Alain Whyte left amicably. He also said Tony Visconti was going to produce 'Years Of Refusal'. He also said the questions were changed in the NME article.

Bottom line - Morrissey lies.

You say you mentioned to Merk that you were "open to working with Morrissey on changes to the site" but no "dollar amount was discussed" but you are unwilling to explain what "changes" were on offer and what was in it for you

Obviously, if you're meeting with the manager of the person your site is about, it stands to reason the goal was to make the site his official mouthpiece...

"But it appears David didn't say that in the meeting? He just said "Yes".

No he didn't. He said this..."I told Merck I'd be willing to work with him / Morrissey on changes to the site and that was pretty much it"...and this..."I just mentioned I was open to changes, but again, I had no idea what he had in mind as it wasn't discussed."

You make it sound like it was blind acquiescence.

P.

David hasn't clarified what changes he would be happy to make.

How can I clarify something that was never suggested in the first place? I wasn't the one that was proposing any change.

It was an initial introductory meeting, I mentioned I am open to discussions, he was supposed to talk to Morrissey and get back to me but as mentioned, nothing came of it. At the time I thought it was pretty unlikely anything would happen so not a big deal. But if Morrissey is going to the press saying I approached his former manager and demanded $3000 / a month with words to the effect 'that speaks for itself', I'm going to respond and defend myself against this obvious untruth.

Well okay but "open to discussion and "willing to work with Morrissey in making changes to the site" are two different things. One suggests that you have already agreed in principle that you would act on some (if not all) of Morrissey's suggestions. Seems hard to believe that Morrissey just made up this account from thin air and even less likely that Merk gave him a completely false account. Why not try and contact Merk and straighten it out because if he sides with you and your account of the meeting then you probably do have a strong case for libel.

And it was anyone's business that a meeting took place why? Because you visit this site you think you're obligated to know these things?

David has explained it...you're just too stupid to grasp the concept of what a management package is.

Morrissey also said his autobiography was coming out this December. He also said he wasn't going to mention not having a record deal again. He also said that Alain Whyte left amicably. He also said Tony Visconti was going to produce 'Years Of Refusal'. He also said the questions were changed in the NME article.

Bottom line - Morrissey lies.

Obviously, if you're meeting with the manager of the person your site is about, it stands to reason the goal was to make the site his official mouthpiece...

not sure why you keep butting in without adding anything interesting?

How can I clarify something that was never suggested in the first place? I wasn't the one that was proposing any change.

but you said you were "willing to work with Morrissey to make changes to the site" - then you outlined some changes that "probably wouldn't have worked" all i am asking is what changes would you have been prepared to make giving you were "willing" to make some. It seems you are happy to clarify what you wouldn't change but not what you would.

but you said you were "willing to work with Morrissey to make changes to the site" - then you outlined some changes that "probably wouldn't have worked" all i am asking is what changes would you have been prepared to make giving you were "willing" to make some. It seems you are happy to clarify what you wouldn't change but not what you would.

Christ, give it up. This is grade-A straw-clutching. Go and have a drink and a smoke or something.

P.

Perhaps it's an American thing, but when I say 'I'm willing to work with you' it means I'm open to discussion, compromise, etc. You're asking what changes? I said I don't know, they were never proposed.

but you did agree in principle to working with Morrissey in changing the site? Seems like a simple request to ask having agreed you were "open to working with Morrissey on changes to the site" and then subsequently outlining what "probably wouldn't have worked" to outline what might have worked. My point is you must have been prepared to make some changes on Morrissey instruction - right?

Morrissey: "The owner claims that this is an open forum but since everyone posts under the name "Anonymous" how can this be considered open?" This seems like something was either lost in translation or he didn't effectively convey his point. The fact that ANYONE can post anonymously makes this very much an open forum, i.e, anything goes - positive or negative. It appears to be a contentious matter for Morrissey and some frequent visitors on our functionally dysfunctional oasis.

Having been here for 15 years, I see little black and white about the question of anonymous posters. I have seen quite a few cogent and well-written posts by Anonymous posters. Those who are seeking "transparency" on the internet (where even registered posters utilize pseudonyms or drop surnames) are barking up the wrong tree. And Morrissey is sadly mistaken if he thinks the removal of Anonymous posts will eliminate dissenting opinions or vicious attacks on his character. After 30 years in the public eye, he should know this by now and take a little of his own advice: if you don't like it, don't look at it.

He'd already clarified that he wouldn't compromise on the issue of censorship ("If it meant 'delete any post that mentions The Smiths' or 'stop anonymous posts or anything critical in general and make it more like true-to-you' it probably wouldn't have worked out very well.") before you asserted that he was willing to compromise. You're shit at this.

I quoted your point in my post? how did you miss that? - and he didn't (apparently) clarify that in the meeting though did he.

Tags
greek interview morrissey solo solow

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom