12 things I've learned from the 2018 Morrissey tour... - Dickie Felton

"SOME FANS EXPECT GREATEST HITS AND FREE VEGAN SOYA-SHAKE": 12 THINGS I'VE LEARNED FROM THE 2018 MORRISSEY TOUR... - Dickie Felton

42452_img_9345.jpg

"From the granite of Aberdeen to the gold of the Royal Albert Hall, the UK sees the return of indie icon Morrissey.

Dickie Felton first watched the charismatic crooner in 1991 and hasn't stopped.

The fan went to three of the opening UK gigs to run the rule over the mighty Moz.

And here’s 12 things he pondered from St Steven’s return to the stage:"

Following on from 'Morrissey International Airport' and 'The Day I Met Morrissey', Mr. Felton continues his observations via a blog focusing on the 2018 tour.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey's at the stage where it really doesn't matter what he does anymore. His place in musical history is assured. He means so many things to so many people. And still, it's not unrealistic to think that the best is yet to come.
No legacy is assured, and legacies are created by the media, not by the general public who eventually age out of the conversation.

I seriously doubt future generations are going to care much about Morrissey, or numerous other so called "legacy" artists.

Artists with bigger resumes have failed to maintain legacies as time has passed.

Each generation tends to overestimate how easily people are forgotten. It's not about his music anymore, and that's where you build a legacy.

Nope.

Did he play two shows at the Hollywood Bowl during the wilderness years?

And did he do an arena tour of the UK? No, he played the Civic Centre in Aylesbury and Brangwyn Hall in Swansea! :lbf:

He's selling one off shows in his hometowns to mostly older fans. He wasn't playing those places during the wilderness years because the youth had already abandoned him, and his core audience were busy trying to cope with the sudden shock of adulthood. Every prime act has its second wind with its aging audience. Also, ticket brokers buy up tickets to many of these events to resell. Saying they're sold out is often a bit of a stretch.

His records don't sell, and audience members are typically unfamiliar with his most recent work. Enough said.

No one expects him to never be able to sell tickets again. Even the lowliest bands can tour and sell to a core audience, but he bar has been set very low for success in his later years. Understandably so. Morrissey's only really had the Quarry peak since his time passed after Vauxhall.

His album was a failure by every standard. People want to hear him jukebox his older songs. It's about The Smiths, not Morrissey solo.

Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that he is not as financially stable as some assume, but that's just a suspicion as to why he seems to want to tour when it's not always the best idea. He's never been this invested in touring over such a long stretch.

I feel certain he was hit hard by the great recession that touched everyone. Supposedly he had significant real estate investments when the housing market collapsed. Also, he claims he's still not receiving royalties that are being devoured by his refusal to acknowledge the Joyce verdict. There was the court settlement years ago regarding a security guard. He's likely lost money on his cancelled tours, as well a boycott at one major venue that would have paid him well. No one knows if he's really barred from the U.S. which would be a major blow financially. There could be other court issues that he always seems to find his way into that are unknown. The there's always the tax man, and it's easy to get in trouble with taxes when you're shifting large amounts of money around, and trying to hide it.

I would love to know the current state of his finances.

The reaction from the crowd each time the opening chords strike up to Spent The Day In Bed is something else - people go mad for it....not that you'd know! The song was also a great success on Radio 2 - very radio friendly.

Your presence here is now beyond embarrassing - have some self respect, and f*** off for good.

Tough shit mate, I'm staying here, and there's nothing you can do about it.

He's selling one off shows in his hometowns to mostly older fans. He wasn't playing those places during the wilderness years because the youth had already abandoned him, and his core audience were busy trying to cope with the sudden shock of adulthood. Every prime act has its second wind with its aging audience. Also, ticket brokers buy up tickets to many of these events to resell. Saying they're sold out is often a bit of a stretch.

His records don't sell, and audience members are typically unfamiliar with his most recent work. Enough said.

No one expects him to never be able to sell tickets again. Even the lowliest bands can tour and sell to a core audience, but he bar has been set very low for success in his later years. Understandably so. Morrissey's only really had the Quarry peak since his time passed after Vauxhall.

His album was a failure by every standard. People want to hear him jukebox his older songs. It's about The Smiths, not Morrissey solo.

Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that he is not as financially stable as some assume, but that's just a suspicion as to why he seems to want to tour when it's not always the best idea. He's never been this invested in touring over such a long stretch.

I feel certain he was hit hard by the great recession that touched everyone. Supposedly he had significant real estate investments when the housing market collapsed. Also, he claims he's still not receiving royalties that are being devoured by his refusal to acknowledge the Joyce verdict. There was the court settlement years ago regarding a security guard. He's likely lost money on his cancelled tours, as well a boycott at one major venue that would have paid him well. No one knows if he's really barred from the U.S. which would be a major blow financially. There could be other court issues that he always seems to find his way into that are unknown. The there's always the tax man, and it's easy to get in trouble with taxes when you're shifting large amounts of money around, and trying to hide it.

So much shit by an anon in this post that I can’t be bothered to respond to all of it but 2 things I do know. He has just played to circa 100k punters on this tour and regarding his finances, who knows but if he wanted to make more, a greatest hits tour would sort that in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Sorry, but I have to laugh at this nonsense. He plays 2 or 3 Smiths songs per show. And yet still plays arena tours again and again.

And one off shows in his hometowns? He must have a hundred hometowns around the world then. :lbf:

Do you mean the one-off shows in Aberdeen, Glasgow, Dublin, Newcastle, Leeds, Birmingham, London (multiple venues) and Brighton? I would call that a tour, but perhaps that's a terminology issue - maybe you could explain what the difference is?

I'm not a fan of the album but even I wouldn't call it an out and out failure: it's had quite a bit of media coverage, a mixed bag of reviews, a decent (if fleeting) chart place and so far one hit single. So, not stellar success but not a complete turkey either.

I do wonder if you're right about the finances, though. I have pondered this myself, the way he was relentlessly touring the arse off World Peace long after everyone had lost interest. His apparent lifestyle - the bits of it we see, anyway - doesn't come cheap, and nor does throwing designer shirts at the audience. I would hate it to be true. A cut-price Morrissey, touring obscure venues with an ever-dwindling audience just to keep his accountant happy, is not something I want to see.

Do you mean the one-off shows in Aberdeen, Glasgow, Dublin, Newcastle, Leeds, Birmingham, London (multiple venues) and Brighton? I would call that a tour, but perhaps that's a terminology issue - maybe you could explain what the difference is?

I'm not a fan of the album but even I wouldn't call it an out and out failure: it's had quite a bit of media coverage, a mixed bag of reviews, a decent (if fleeting) chart place and so far one hit single. So, not stellar success but not a complete turkey either.

I do wonder if you're right about the finances, though. I have pondered this myself, the way he was relentlessly touring the arse off World Peace long after everyone had lost interest. His apparent lifestyle - the bits of it we see, anyway - doesn't come cheap, and nor does throwing designer shirts at the audience. I would hate it to be true. A cut-price Morrissey, touring obscure venues with an ever-dwindling audience just to keep his accountant happy, is not something I want to see.

I very much doubt that he has any financial problems. The fact is that all acts make their money from touring nowadays as record sales are down.

And yeah, you could argue that throwing a designer shirt costs money. But you could also argue that if he were struggling financially, he simply wouldn't do it. And I'm sure it costs a lot less than it would to transport and house a support act.

Let's face it, for a solo singer to do the touring Morrissey is doing right now, he will be making a packet.

I very much doubt that he has any financial problems. The fact is that all acts make their money from touring nowadays as record sales are down.

And yeah, you could argue that throwing a designer shirt costs money. But you could also argue that if he were struggling financially, he simply wouldn't do it. And I'm sure it costs a lot less than it would to transport and house a support act.

Let's face it, for a solo singer to do the touring Morrissey is doing right now, he will be making a packet.
Well, yes, the absence of the support act is another clue that he's doing things on the cheap. I don't know if he's making a packet because we don't get to see the numbers. It could be argued that someone like Morrissey would carry on flogging the horse even if the rewards weren't as big, because what's he going to do otherwise? Wasn't there a leg of the tour last year which had to be cancelled because they couldn't get the finance together? Anyway, I'm not saying it's true, I'm just saying, I wonder.

Well, yes, the absence of the support act is another clue that he's doing things on the cheap. I don't know if he's making a packet because we don't get to see the numbers. It could be argued that someone like Morrissey would carry on flogging the horse even if the rewards weren't as big, because what's he going to do otherwise? Wasn't there a leg of the tour last year which had to be cancelled because they couldn't get the finance together? Anyway, I'm not saying it's true, I'm just saying, I wonder.

I just look at it simply. He is playing big venues, with relatively high price tickets and he is a solo act.

When I went to the most recent MEN show, for example, I remember thinking that ticket sales alone must have brought in more than £1m in revenue for one gig. Now obviously there are expenses for him as there are for any other act, but when you add on the merchandise sales you are obviously talking about him making a very handsome amount for one night's work.

And we know that Morrissey has never been one to sell himself short financially. Can anyone see him playing 2 nights at the Hollywood Bowl and letting everyone else get rich? Not a chance.

Many of the older touring acts don't use a support act anymore unless they need to sell tickets as they know they can get away without one.

Yes agree. I was disappointed with the Brixton mosh pit. The young crowds are too well behaved and if you jostle somebody they're likely to cry and ask you be thrown out. Ally Pally was fabulous tho. Much more like the Moz mosh pits of old.

It would be interesting to know what type of contract Morrissey signed with BMG.

If he signed a "360" contract and they are disappointed with the sales of LIHS, maybe they will be prepared to release more albums if they are getting a big slice of his arena tour revenues.

I was on board with some of that especially the part about his voice.

However Spent the Day In Bed is pretty average and Who Will Protect Us From The Police is awful.

The album I really like though and other than World Peace I think it's his best since Quarry.

Sorry, but I have to laugh at this nonsense. He plays 2 or 3 Smiths songs per show. And yet still plays arena tours again and again.

And one off shows in his hometowns? He must have a hundred hometowns around the world then. :lbf:

As a matter of fact: He has. :)
He has a global fanbase now and is a global star, a cult icon and he can play anywhere and fill up the venues.

Even if it isn’t on the scale of the major acts like U2, or any of the big names.

I sense that many British fans don’t really appreciate that as they want him to be their own invention and they can’t accept he uses musical influences he picked up zigzagging all over the world.

This is your legacy for all the moderating work you did here for years. You're reduced to being downvoted to oblivion and telling people that you won't stop trolling and they can't make you. :lbf:

You've made me want to create an account on here, just so I can mute your posts and make the forum mildly bearable, because your posts render it unreadable at times.

From your tone I'm guessing you really don't like modern day Morrissey. Fair enough - I've really gone off him with this album (a love song to Israel is the lowest of many low points) and his frightening obsession with UKIP. I haven't bothered seeing him at the London dates for the first time ever.
But you are wrong about his declining popularity. This is only the second time ever that a promoter has risked backing him on a UK arena tour. Last time, most of the dates were only half to two thirds full. This time, they're nearly all full or sold out. He's never been so popular on the live circuit, solo or Smith (although a Marr/Moz tour would be much more successful).
The album has done better than the previous one, and Spent the Day is his first airplay hit since 2004 (First of the Gang). That's why it's going down so well at the concerts, and getting the kind of reception only the Smiths and Viva Hate singles receive. Everyone knows it and everyone sings along.
His current popularity is a little baffling (especially considering the reviews and the bad press around the last album) but he is going down in musical history as a hugely influential and unique icon, and his general legendary status only increases from year to year. Pretty hard to accept for the haters and the trolls round here, and surprising for the likes of me (who have effectively boycotted the tour) but it's impossible to deny.

Dickie, wie schade, ich war auch in Aberdeen, habe Dich aber nicht gesehen. Habe schon viele Deiner Bücher an befreundete Fans verschenkt, Danke, dass Du sie signiert hast . Sie waren immer ein highlight. Bestimmt bestelle ich mal wieder welche bei Dir, der Kontakt mit Dir ist einfach immer grandios :)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom