12 things I've learned from the 2018 Morrissey tour... - Dickie Felton

"SOME FANS EXPECT GREATEST HITS AND FREE VEGAN SOYA-SHAKE": 12 THINGS I'VE LEARNED FROM THE 2018 MORRISSEY TOUR... - Dickie Felton

42452_img_9345.jpg

"From the granite of Aberdeen to the gold of the Royal Albert Hall, the UK sees the return of indie icon Morrissey.

Dickie Felton first watched the charismatic crooner in 1991 and hasn't stopped.

The fan went to three of the opening UK gigs to run the rule over the mighty Moz.

And here’s 12 things he pondered from St Steven’s return to the stage:"

Following on from 'Morrissey International Airport' and 'The Day I Met Morrissey', Mr. Felton continues his observations via a blog focusing on the 2018 tour.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty much all complete cobblers, but the tin hat on it all is ... "Spent the Day in Bed could be his best ever single". There's sound judgement, then.

Today I learned that Ketamine Sun is actually named Dickie Felton. Huh. Never knew!

That's pretty much all complete cobblers, but the tin hat on it all is ... "Spent the Day in Bed could be his best ever single". There's sound judgement, then.

The reaction from the crowd each time the opening chords strike up to Spent The Day In Bed is something else - people go mad for it....not that you'd know! The song was also a great success on Radio 2 - very radio friendly.

Your presence here is now beyond embarrassing - have some self respect, and f*** off for good.

The reaction from the crowd each time the opening chords strike up to Spent The Day In Bed is something else - people go mad for it....not that you'd know! The song was also a great success on Radio 2 - very radio friendly.

Those two points are completely connected. Only a third of those at any given Morrissey concert will have bought the latest album (and know all the songs).
But, thanks to its airplay success, pretty much everyone there will know Spent the Day in Bed. It's one of only 5 or 6 Morrissey songs that everyone now knows which will guarantee it a great reception along with the Smiths songs.
Radio airplay is so massively important. It fuels album sales, and it can turn nostalgia bands into contemporary acts. The record label needs to ask Radio 2 if they would A-list any of the other songs on the album. If they will, release it ASAP.

"SOME FANS EXPECT GREATEST HITS AND FREE VEGAN SOYA-SHAKE": 12 THINGS I'VE LEARNED FROM THE 2018 MORRISSEY TOUR... - Dicke Felton

42452_img_9345.jpg

"From the granite of Aberdeen to the gold of the Royal Albert Hall, the UK sees the return of indie icon Morrissey.

Dickie Felton first watched the charismatic crooner in 1991 and hasn't stopped.

The fan went to three of the opening UK gigs to run the rule over the mighty Moz.

And here’s 12 things he pondered from St Steven’s return to the stage:"

Following on from 'Morrissey International Airport' and 'The Day I Met Morrissey', Mr. Felton continues his observations via a blog focusing on the 2018 tour.
Regards,
FWD.

That was a bloody good read!

Ha Haa! Moz is just takin' a victory lap with these concerts.
Do ya know what he's celebrating?
He's celebrating because of every which way they try to hate him, still hasn't stopped him.
The noodles keep on boo hooin' and The Purified Turkey keeps on Turkey Steppin'!

Nice read. I agree that spent the day in bed is he first of the gang of lihs. Both are super catchy and will certainly be fan favs for as long as he still tours

Nice read. I agree that spent the day in bed is he first of the gang of lihs. Both are super catchy and will certainly be fan favs for as long as he still tours

It’s the Our Frank of LIHS too.

One thing he didn't learn from the 2018 tour: not to refer to Morrissey as Steven. Surely everyone knows that by now.
Also, Spent The Day In Bed may be a very catchy song but Moz's greatest single? Give me a break.

Ha Haa! Moz is just takin' a victory lap with these concerts.
Do ya know what he's celebrating?
He's celebrating because of every which way they try to hate him, still hasn't stopped him.
The noodles keep on boo hooin' and The Purified Turkey keeps on Turkey Steppin'!
There's nothing to stop. He's not exactly attracting large crowds. He's attracting roughly the same size he did in the wilderness years. People don't even know enough about Morrissey for anyone to care.

Also, I seriously doubt he's profiting greatly from any of this. Tour's are incredibly expensive to organize. Also, he ha legal, and tax liabilities on the line.

Numerous acts that no one even hears about anymore carry out tours just like Morrissey's all the time. Nostalgia acts always have an audience to play to. Anyone can tour if the pick the right size venues.

Spent The Day In Bed best single?

Ah, the delusions of fandom.

I bet Kill Uncle, Maladjusted, and Southpaw Grammar are his favorite albums too. You know, just to be contrary.

Couldn’t agree more. I hate Felton.

Oh no, that 12 things I learned BS like they do after football games. Shut down all social media for wannabee journos making a fool of themselves at our expense.

There's nothing to stop. He's not exactly attracting large crowds. He's attracting roughly the same size he did in the wilderness years. People don't even know enough about Morrissey for anyone to care.

Also, I seriously doubt he's profiting greatly from any of this. Tour's are incredibly expensive to organize. Also, he ha legal, and tax liabilities on the line.

Numerous acts that no one even hears about anymore carry out tours just like Morrissey's all the time. Nostalgia acts always have an audience to play to. Anyone can tour if the pick the right size venues.

Nope.

Did he play two shows at the Hollywood Bowl during the wilderness years?

And did he do an arena tour of the UK? No, he played the Civic Centre in Aylesbury and Brangwyn Hall in Swansea! :lbf:

Before Christmas and after the fairly negative message from Morrissey he is surely ecstatic with this tour....Dublin show was jammers, way more so than the World Peace tour...and by all accounts close to sell outs on all other large venue shows...surely a good sign. His next step is cruicial, a re-release of World Peace is a huge mistake and I doubt BMG will invest again until at least for 18 months...it wil be ineresting to see what happens. In my opinion Dickie has it righe ...this has really been one of his best tours and whilst a great fan tour taking this to festivals would be a serious wrong step unless he adjusted the setlist for the regular music fan. Whilst everything is objective I think LIHS will in time be regarded in same way as Dont Stand Me Down by Dexys is now ....Probably the most underrated album of 2017. I believe one of his best certainly the opening 5 song cycle i dont think he has bettered in any previous album....again my opinion. I think his only misstep is World Peace inteh setlist and maybe in some gigs too many coveres ...but minor points. From a low point Morrissey has suddenly risen...Happy Times for a life long fan whose kids are now starting to discover not just the Smiths but Morrissey solo music also....Spent TheDay is still on rotation in the house 5 months later .OK Rant Over ....Be Good and lets Enjoy what a 58 year old Icon is giving us into a 35 year career.

Morrissey's at the stage where it really doesn't matter what he does anymore. His place in musical history is assured. He means so many things to so many people. And still, it's not unrealistic to think that the best is yet to come.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom