Johnny Marr on Radcliffe and Maconie - right now!

I've just tuned in and they're playing "Sheila Take A Bow", so I assume they're plugging the remasters.

Remastered Sheila Take a Bow sounds fab

So the new Healers are...Andy Noels, James Doviak and Max James. No idea who they are at all. "Down on the Corner" was the best song and it still sounds good.

"Since the Smiths, you've never stuck at anything for too long...did you plan it that way or do you just get restless quick?"

I don't think Johnny has ever given a detailed answer to that question, beyond that he enjoys the variety of playing with different people. I wonder if part of it is to do with him not wanting the responsibility of being a "full-timer" again.

Re: the new gigs - he 'might throw in a few golden oldies'. :D. Loving "Nowhere Fast".

He says he's very very happy with the remasters.
He took all the 'nonsense' off the original records 'I knew we sounded better than that'.
Stephen Street was working in the next door studio at the time... and he came in from time to time... high fives all round.
Bernard Sumner was also involved - apparently he's a Smiths 'expert'.
He's not sure if the other Smiths have heard it... 'it's only just come out'. So, side stepping Morrissey's comments...

Dave

I know Johnny's a lovely bloke and all that, but to not even have the basic Northern courtesy to inform Morrissey about this project is pretty shitty, in my 'umble opinion. And to play them instead to that paragon of vocal judgement Sumner!?...But not the man you wrote the songs with?...pretty low.
I'm sure there's probably more to this than meets the eye (there always is with M&M) but, imagine for one second the shit that would reign down on Morrissey's quiff if he'd somehow done a similar thing, without Johnny's OK.

I know Johnny's a lovely bloke and all that, but to not even have the basic Northern courtesy to inform Morrissey about this project is pretty shitty, in my 'umble opinion. And to play them instead to that paragon of vocal judgement Sumner!?...But not the man you wrote the songs with?...pretty low.
I'm sure there's probably more to this than meets the eye (there always is with M&M) but, imagine for one second the shit that would reign down on Morrissey's quiff if he'd somehow done a similar thing, without Johnny's OK.

I'm going to buy the CD set (since it's 2011, and paying an extra ten thousand dollars or whatever they're asking for the vinyl is retarded) but I'm skeptical.

What ""nonsense" is Johnny saying was on those old records? Did he go into detail? I totally respect Johnny but the idea that the greatest band of all time has a legacy built on records cluttered with sonic "nonsense" is a bit absurd. I have yet to hear a remaster set by any band I love -including The Beatles- that actually changed my listening experience in any kind of profound way. I've heard some good sounding, louder presentations, but nothing ever that seemed like an essential, necessary update. Even when Andy Partridge redid Skylarking last year (because the magnetics on the original tape reels were "inverted", or some silliness like that) it still sounds the exact same to me. So I don't know.

Did Johnny specifically say in this interview that he passed Morrissey up on this, or are you going by that statement Morrissey made on Julia's site? It seems more likely that he did consult Morrissey, and Morrissey said "no" and Johnny did it anyway, which I would have no problem understanding. Johnny seems too ethical to have totally sidestepped Morrissey out of hand...that, I just don't buy.

Does anyone know whether Morrissey's debt to Joyce was paid off through the royalties yet? I remember reading that the British courts had bricked all of Morrissey's Smiths' earnings to pay the debt to Joyce that he wouldn't pay willingly. If that is still the case, I would assume that would account for Morrissey being less than enthusiastic about working on an entire Smiths box set, knowing his royalties from the sales would immediately go to the drummer.

He took all the 'nonsense' off the original records 'I knew we sounded better than that'.
Stephen Street was working in the next door studio at the time... and he came in from time to time... high fives all round.
He's not sure if the other Smiths have heard it... 'it's only just come out'. So, side stepping Morrissey's comments...

Dave

Hang on. Bernard Sumner was involved, because he's a "Smiths expert", but the f***ing singer isn't even told about it? How does that add up?

Hang on. Bernard Sumner was involved, because he's a "Smiths expert", but the f***ing singer isn't even told about it? How does that add up?

Ha talk about winding old Moz up, they hate each other...more Sumner than Morrissey from what i've read.

Dave

yeah really shitty move to let Sumner have input and not involve Morrissey - Marr has nothing to say he is a tragic ex-smith - please tell me he is not pedaling the healers again lol

Ha talk about winding old Moz up, they hate each other...more Sumner than Morrissey from what i've read.

Sumner isn't worthy of hating. I can't even muster up the energy to dislike him, really - I just find everything about him embarrassing. I'm convinced the whole purpose of Electronic was just to wind Morrissey up.

Something doesn't add up about Morrissey's disapproval of this release.

Maybe a real expert on here would know, but surely these remastered tracks are from the same batch as those on The Sound Of The Smiths? (and then the singles box that covered the first 10 singles)

The simplest explanation would be that Johnny remastered the entire Smiths catalogue back in 2008 or before, for that compilation and staggered release of the material? (presumably to come: individual album releases, maybe even a second singles set though I guess that might not happen now...)

Morrissey was aware enough then of The Sound Of The Smiths (he approved it and gave it its title, we were told).

Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Did Johnny really remaster the tracks AGAIN for this Smiths complete? Or did he remaster the rest of the tracks (those not on The Sound Of The Smiths) at a later date?

Funny, I typed Butler when I was listening to it... but when I read it back, I convinced myself it was Sumner and changed it ... sorry for any confusion :p

Dave

Hahaha! Bernard Butler - much, much better!

:lbf:

Er...Dave, might want to get yer hearing checked, before checking out Johnny's remasters, yes? ;)

Butler's obviously a better judge than Sumner, although how rigorous a critic he'd be is a tad doubtful given that he clearly worships the very ground that Johnny's moccasins tread on.

In case you haven't noticed, Moz completely f***s up his own remasters. Marr should keep him as far away from those tapes as possible. I would let Howard Jones give his input before Moz.

In case you haven't noticed, Moz completely f***s up his own remasters. Marr should keep him as far away from those tapes as possible. I would let Howard Jones give his input before Moz.

I didn't say "let Moz take over the process". I just meant he should have been at least made aware that the project was ongoing, and been able to have some minimal input, as with "The Sound of the Smiths". Moz' statement about the remasters made it sound like he found out about it at the same time as the fans.

Back
Top Bottom