Morrissey and Alain Whyte's songwriting partnership over for good?

Maurice E

This is being discussed in another thread but I think it deserves its own. Alain has been Morrissey's main songwriter over the years, contributing many more songs than Johnny Marr, so it's pretty sad if they're no longer working together.
Nothing official - it's just a rumour discussed on this board.
My previous interpretation was that, although clearly no longer in the band, Alain still wrote songs for Morrissey, and indeed provided most of the highlights on Years of Refusal. The rumour suggests that he actually wrote those way back in 2006.
If this is true (and I hope it's not), the sad thing is that, if anything, Alan's songs seem to have been getting better in recent times, whereas Boz has been struggling a bit (with no co-writes on ROTT for example).
If there are no new Alain songs, and Morrissey has a new album ready to record, who's written the music?

This from Comtesse
(Alain) collaborated actively up until Ringleader. Some of his older compositions were used for Refusal but he and Morrissey had fallen out well before then and he was not involved with that album at all. He hadn't been contributing any new songs, so if he were to return to the fold, that would be a re-collaboration - it's been at least 5 years since they actively worked together. And that's a far more likely collaboration than any of the other suggestions.

I really hope that it's not true; Alain's contribution to what is "Morrissey" is larger than words. This is the first I've heard about Alain's YOR contributions being old tracks.

This interview from October last year, although film centric, does include the quote "“My time working with Morrissey was very memorable in a lot of ways."

It seems it really is over. :(

If it is then this will be a Boz/Jesse album like Ringleader but who knows; maybe the Walker Bros. and Gustav have been a big influence and we'll get something very different.

EDIT: I just saw that this was repoerted by the author himself in Oct. http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/111702-Alain-Whyte-Interview

EDIT2: Yep, no Boz songs on Ringleader but there was B-sides.

Last edited:
I really hope that it's not true; Alain's contribution to what is "Morrissey" is larger than words. This is the first I've heard about Alain's YOR contributions being old tracks.

This interview from October last year, although film centric, does include the quote "“My time working with Morrissey was very memorable in a lot of ways."

It seems it really is over. :(

If it is then this will be a Boz/Jesse album like Ringleader but who knows; maybe the Walker Bros. and Gustav have been a big influence and we'll get something very different.

EDIT: I just saw that this was repoerted by the author himself in Oct. http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/111702-Alain-Whyte-Interview

Ringleader did not feature any songs by Boz.

This has been asked and answered last year.
He was talking about his touring time with Morrissey - that was in the past. He was disappointed that people jumped on the past tense to create all these crazy theories.
But nothing has changed regarding his songwriting partnership with Morrissey.
I'm not saying he has or will, but he indicates there's been no break.

Just exhuming this thread becuse Alain's current status as a Morrissey contributor is being discussed in the Jesse Tobias thread.
Someone's posted this comment from Jan 2006

Q7: HOW HAS JESSE TOBIAS AFFECTED THE NEW ALBUM? Darragh, Dublin
-- hello Darragh
If you hear the new album you will notice a marked difference in sound, principally due to both Michael Farrell and to Jesse. Personally and musically, Jesse has made a big impact - You Have Killed Me, The Youngest Was The Most Loved, In The Future When All's Well, I Just Want To See The Boy Happy....these songs, especially, fully release the hounds. There are no Boz songs on this album, but strangely, it is the album on which Boz has been most involved and had such a massive input. Boz is 24-hour non-stop, and if impetus lulls, Boz steers everyone back on track.
If it seems to some people that Jesse has replaced Alain, I would like to say that this isn't true. There is no replacing and there is nothing but harmony amongst all the players. I understand that there are always poisonous assumptions on the SoLow site, but that's all just crap.

The above was written by Morrissey in early 2006 i.e. over 5 years ago. We know they were on good terms then as Alain appeared in the videos to the singles. A couple of people on the board claim to know Alain pretty well and say that there has been virtually no contact since around 2006 (I think).
Also, as quoted previously in this thread, in a recent interview, Alain's says "my time working with Morrissey was memorable" i.e. with the implication that he is no longer doing so.

Just exhuming this thread becuse Alain's current status as a Morrissey contributor is being discussed in the Jesse Tobias thread.

-- hello Darragh
If you hear the new album you will notice a marked difference in sound, principally due to both Michael Farrell and to Jesse. Personally and musically, Jesse has made a big impact - You Have Killed Me, The Youngest Was The Most Loved, In The Future When All's Well, I Just Want To See The Boy Happy....these songs, especially, fully release the hounds. There are no Boz songs on this album, but strangely, it is the album on which Boz has been most involved and had such a massive input. Boz is 24-hour non-stop, and if impetus lulls, Boz steers everyone back on track.
If it seems to some people that Jesse has replaced Alain, I would like to say that this isn't true. There is no replacing and there is nothing but harmony amongst all the players. I understand that there are always poisonous assumptions on the SoLow site, but that's all just crap.

The above was written by Morrissey in early 2006 i.e. over 5 years ago. We know they were on good terms then as Alain appeared in the videos to the singles. A couple of people on the board claim to know Alain pretty well and say that there has been virtually no contact since around 2006 (I think).
Also, as quoted previously in this thread, in a recent interview, Alain's says "my time working with Morrissey was memorable" i.e. with the implication that he is no longer doing so.

Word on the street is Alain was denied entry to Conway Studios for the 'Refusal' sessions and was given his pink slip by Boz in the parking lot...

This has been asked and answered last year.
He was talking about his touring time with Morrissey - that was in the past. He was disappointed that people jumped on the past tense to create all these crazy theories.
But nothing has changed regarding his songwriting partnership with Morrissey.
I'm not saying he has or will, but he indicates there's been no break.

“My time working with Morrissey was very memorable in a lot of ways. I was able to play some amazing venues like Wembley Arena at the end of the “Kill Uncle” tour and the Hollywood Bowl in 1992. I’ve also been to places in the world I would never have been to; Argentina and Chile are particular highlights for me. Recording each of the albums and working with great musicians and producers has been a delight too, when I think back on those times and those people it’s impossible to pick just one highlight.”

Sounds like a bit more than just touring.

I, too, hope this isn't true but the writing is on the wall. Ever since Alain wasn't "allowed" to play his own (previously written) songs in the studio on Years I've been concerned. Not to mention the fact that at a glance his career (and life) seems to have gone into a whole new phase - he's working with all kinds of musicians and acts.

I've always tried to see the positive in Morrissey's career choices even if they seemed confusing or not particularly fruitful - I can always find things I like about his output. But in this case I have to say dumb move!

Was really hoping Streety might come back with some demos for Morrissey.
Who knows, maybe Gustavo or the Walker brothers have songwriting talents we don't know about.

I, too, hope this isn't true but the writing is on the wall. Ever since Alain wasn't "allowed" to play his own (previously written) songs in the studio on Years I've been concerned. Not to mention the fact that at a glance his career (and life) seems to have gone into a whole new phase - he's working with all kinds of musicians and acts.

I've always tried to see the positive in Morrissey's career choices even if they seemed confusing or not particularly fruitful - I can always find things I like about his output. But in this case I have to say dumb move!

Was really hoping Streety might come back with some demos for Morrissey.
Who knows, maybe Gustavo or the Walker brothers have songwriting talents we don't know about.

Alain is a genius songwriter quite honestly. he's up there with Marr. I hope Mozza continues to work closely with him. It's Alan's songs that have excited me most since the 2004 comeback.

Alain is a genius songwriter quite honestly. he's up there with Marr. I hope Mozza continues to work closely with him. It's Alan's songs that have excited me most since the 2004 comeback.

He isn't. That said, he's one of Morrissey's better ones.

He isn't. That said, he's one of Morrissey's better ones.

He isn't up there with primetime 1980's Marr, that's for sure.
But I'd say that, since he started working with Morrissey in 1992, Whyte's written many more brilliant songs (18 in total) than Marr, who's done about 5 or 6 over the same period.

He isn't up there with primetime 1980's Marr, that's for sure.
But I'd say that, since he started working with Morrissey in 1992, Whyte's written many more brilliant songs (18 in total) than Marr, who's done about 5 or 6 over the same period.

Looks like Boz has even matched Marr for brilliant songs!

Jack the Ripper, Now My Heart is Full, Speedway, I'd Love To, Come Back to Camden, I'm Playing Easy to Get :D

Looks like Boz has even matched Marr for brilliant songs!

Jack the Ripper, Now My Heart is Full, Speedway, I'd Love To, Come Back to Camden, I'm Playing Easy to Get :D

I would perhaps skip Playing Easy To Get but add The More You Ignore Me, Spring-Heeled Jim, Lifeguard Sleeping, Reader Meet Author, I Can Have Both, I'm Not Sorry, I Like You, Christian Dior, Paris and Scandinavia as other strong candidates for that list.

-- hello Darragh

Interesting quote, I forgot about that previous use of 'poisonous'. So Alain stopped working with him shortly after and also Michael Farrell. Perhaps the 'assumptions' on the site were true after all. Don't bother to discuss it, everything here is 'all just crap'.

David..do you think Morrissey actually views this site from time to time, or that his comments are based on what others relay to him?

Interesting quote, I forgot about that previous use of 'poisonous'. So Alain stopped working with him shortly after and also Michael Farrell. Perhaps the 'assumptions' on the site were true after all. Don't bother to discuss it, everything here is 'all just crap'.

Back
Top Bottom