Collecting "The Smiths" [self titled debut]

Stephane

Pashernate member
Now's your chance to get involved, as there are a few gaps in this page, and it's not necessarily for stuff that is incredibly rare.

Also, if someone has scans or flat photos of the USA longbox, front and back, I would appreciate it

"Passions Just Like Mine" (link below)
> 'official releases'
>> 'collectors appendix'
>>> 'The Smiths' [debut album]

Or take the shortcut

For more info on this series, please read

this.

Now your turn...

thanks,
Stephane

Now's your chance to get involved, as there are a few gaps in this page, and it's not necessarily for stuff that is incredibly rare.

Also, if someone has scans or flat photos of the USA longbox, front and back, I would appreciate it

"Passions Just Like Mine" (link below)
> 'official releases'
>> 'collectors appendix'
>>> 'The Smiths' [debut album]

Or take the shortcut

For more info on this series, please read

this.

Now your turn...

thanks,
Stephane

bloody hell .... :eek: , thats just amazing toooooo amazing , im actually blown away :squiffy: well done :thumb:

Amazing work, Stephane!

I can confirm your suspicion that the white circle the obi of some Japanese LP pressings pertained to the inclusion of the bonus 7" flexi. It was an early pressing promotional tool, and later pressings on Tokuma did not include the 7" (and had no corresponding text on the obi).

I can confirm your suspicion that the white circle the obi of some Japanese LP pressings pertained to the inclusion of the bonus 7" flexi. It was an early pressing promotional tool, and later pressings on Tokuma did not include the 7" (and had no corresponding text on the obi).

Can you or anyone translate what's written in it?

thanks,
Stephane

I have 4 S/T records and one is quite odd.
I have a white label pressing, a UK pressing, a Japanese pressing, and a Spanish pressing. When I was checking them out last week when Stephane put the page up, I noticed something different on the UK pressing. He has three different pressings for the UK.

1-grey label - cursive logo
ROUGH 61-A1 / ROUGH 61-B1

2- grey label - rubber-stamp logo
credits now appear as "Morrissey and Marr

3- blue label - rubber-stamp logo
ROUGH 61-A2 / ROUGH 61-B4

My UK pressing is like this,

Side 1- cursive logo, words: "Morrissey - music: Marr". ROUGH 61 A2
Side 2- rubber-stamp logo "Morrissey and Marr" ROUGH 61 B1

The matrix numbers are different, and the label's are different.
I was wondering if anyone else has one like this? I could see just using a different label for the vinyl, but the Matrix numbers don't make sense. A2 - B1

Please let me know.
Thanks

Roky,

Did you not get my reply when you contacted me via personal email?

I expect the earliest possible version 2 would be A2-B1

Your version is an inbetweener between versions 1 and 2. Labels are pressed apart from vinyl. Leftover labels from a pressing were sometimes used on later pressings. In your case, they probably had leftover labels for side A. Or something in that vein...

Stephane

PS: your labels are grey, right? They come out pinkish-white in the photos...

Roky,

Did you not get my reply when you contacted me via personal email?

I expect the earliest possible version 2 would be A2-B1

Your version is an inbetweener between versions 1 and 2. Labels are pressed apart from vinyl. Leftover labels from a pressing were sometimes used on later pressings. In your case, they probably had leftover labels for side A. Or something in that vein...

Stephane

PS: your labels are grey, right? They come out pinkish-white in the photos...

Hi Stephane
Yeah, I got your email, I was just posting to add some info to the thread. Just trying to get involved, and see if anyone else had the same.
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, the labels are grey.

"Germany LP test pressing [RT Deutschland RTD25]
A test pressing of the German LP has made it into the hands of one or a few lucky collectors. Details needed. "

White labels, "RTD 25A and RTD 25B" etched, mastered by SNB etched on each side.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/t9dtw3

Last edited:
I also have a Swedish pressing with a letter to Swedish TV from MNW announcing the Smiths will perform live from Roskilde on June 30th that year. Well, they never did as far as I know. An MNW promo postcard also came along but I have sent that to a friend:)

DSCN0368.jpg

"Saudi Arabia cassette [CS 5754]
Information about this unlicensed release is needed."

as pictured, grey cassette with white, red and blue paper labels.

Insert black and white with song listing.

Back
Top Bottom