"10 Happy Morrissey Songs" - Paste

10 Happy Morrissey Songs - Paste
By Nick Petrillo

Steven Patrick Morrissey has been called a lot of things: miserable, bleak, depressing, you name it. But as any dedicated Morrissey fan will tell you, his talents have never relied solely on the doom and gloom. As a matter of fact, the former Smiths frontman has proven that he’s perfectly capable of penning songs that brim with wit, positivity and, yes, even downright happiness. We’ve sifted through all his solo albums and his Smiths material to present the finest moments of Morrissey’s optimism—though we admit that it did take a while.

Link posted by @torrHL / Twitter:

Last edited by a moderator:
But MOST of the lyrics are witty and uplifting - and, I guess, happy. Lazy journalists, when challenged, can only point to the title "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" as the source of their customary "Pope of Mope" epithets (naturally they all fail to notice the play on "Heaven Knows I'm Missing Him Now").

I want a boy for my Birthday with Dale Hibbert the Smiths legend on bass (he's got a coffee shop in Todmorden don't you know ? )

some girls are bigger than others

we hate it when our friends become succesfull

Dagenham Dave

my top 3

'and they say he's mentall' ...haha hahahaha ....

Vicar In A Tutu and Lucky Lisp always make me smile whenever my iPod randomly assails me with them. And surely Now My Heart Is Full must be a candidate for a happier-than-usual-sounding Moz.

I would have put a "A Swallow on My Neck" on this list. Probably at number 1.

This Charming Man
Hand In Glove
Shelia Take a Bow
Ask
Now My Heart is Full
I Don't Mind if You Forget Me
Skin Storm
Swallow On My Neck
I Can Have Both
Sister I'm a Poet

What about

Reader don't meet author ?

' Invisible books won't change them'
'Invisible books aren't Stanley knives'

That's a funny Morrissey song given the circumstances

I can have both. Always makes me smile. :)

“Staring in the window of the shop that never opens
Planning my selection from all the treats inside
Should I take as I desire - oh shall I, oh shall I ?
Or should I hang around to be enticed inside ?”

I would give up my first born to hear sweetie pie/my dearest love live, please Morrissey.

But MOST of the lyrics are witty and uplifting - and, I guess, happy. Lazy journalists, when challenged, can only point to the title "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" as the source of their customary "Pope of Mope" epithets (naturally they all fail to notice the play on "Heaven Knows I'm Missing Him Now").

So true. Relying on these generalizations about Morrissey's music proves that no real thought was given to the complexity of his work. Why not discuss his creative manipulation of language, his use of poetic devices that places him far above the average song-writer who is content with rhyming baby and maybe, his references to films and literature, the way that he uses words to paint such vivid imagery that you almost feel that you are with him in that moment, or more importantly, the way he honestly discusses the difficult emotions that affect us all. Life can't just be defined as 'happy' or 'sad'; it's not that black and white; it's mostly a large gradient span between the extreme highs and lows, and Morrissey is one of the few writers who will address the emotions that fall into that range, such as regret, boredom, resentment, and jealousy.

Even if you take a seemingly light-hearted song like "The Loop", listening carefully to the words reveals that there are multiple messages being conveyed. The beginning of the song sounds pleading: "one day, if you're bored, by all means call..."; but the second time around, Morrissey changes a few words, and the song takes on an entirely different tone. He changes 'if' to 'when' to state that yes, one day you will call on me, but it will probably be too late. This message could be aimed at anyone: a record company, an ex-lover, or a certain guitar player. No one really knows, but the fact that his music makes you contemplate the true meaning is what makes it so important and so unique. It is also what makes many people dislike his work, because they would prefer not to think. It's so much easier to be oblivious and outwardly "happy". I know that a few people here are frustrated with him, but if you take a step back, and remember the songs that had such a powerful impact on you, it's clear that the man is brilliant.

lynnda

I love listening to "I'm Playing Easy To Get" and "Striptease with a Difference."They always make me happy.

So true. Relying on these generalizations about Morrissey's music proves that no real thought was given to the complexity of his work. Why not discuss his creative manipulation of language, his use of poetic devices that places him far above the average song-writer who is content with rhyming baby and maybe, his references to films and literature, the way that he uses words to paint such vivid imagery that you almost feel that you are with him in that moment, or more importantly, the way he honestly discusses the difficult emotions that affect us all. Life can't just be defined as 'happy' or 'sad'; it's not that black and white; it's mostly a large gradient span between the extreme highs and lows, and Morrissey is one of the few writers who will address the emotions that fall into that range, such as regret, boredom, resentment, and jealousy.

Even if you take a seemingly light-hearted song like "The Loop", listening carefully to the words reveals that there are multiple messages being conveyed. The beginning of the song sounds pleading: "one day, if you're bored, by all means call..."; but the second time around, Morrissey changes a few words, and the song takes on an entirely different tone. He changes 'if' to 'when' to state that yes, one day you will call on me, but it will probably be too late. This message could be aimed at anyone: a record company, an ex-lover, or a certain guitar player. No one really knows, but the fact that his music makes you contemplate the true meaning is what makes it so important and so unique. It is also what makes many people dislike his work, because they would prefer not to think. It's so much easier to be oblivious and outwardly "happy". I know that a few people here are frustrated with him, but if you take a step back, and remember the songs that had such a powerful impact on you, it's clear that the man is brilliant.

lynnda

So if I may use your "second time around" thingy, I arrive at the following :

" I know that a few people here are frustrated with him, but if you take a step back, and remember the songs that had such a powerful impact on you, it's clear that the man is brilliant." (First time around)

"I know that a few people here are frustrated with him, but if you take a step back, and remember the songs that had such a powerful impact on you, it's clear that the man was brilliant." (Second time around)

Yep I get it thanks for that but its nothing to get to excited about really, its been around a very long time its called grammar. Songwriters use grammatical terms such as past tense, present tense and future tense when writing songs.
He was good in the old days though I'll give you that, but all good things come to an end (Like my turkey's will be Christmas dinner soon) Here today gone tomorrow.

Benny-the-Butcher

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom