Morrissey Central “Y’ISRA EL” (February 17, 2023)

Maybe it has something to do with being in a nightclub in Tel Aviv until 4 am.
Which may have ended up with his head in someone's lap right before they opened their legs.........

It was the UN that created the state so it's a bit rich of them to chuck that accusation. And their condemnation of China has been very muted at times, the WHO even praising their handling of covid. Amnesty I have more respect for, but the apartheid accusation has not been generally accepted and has been heavily criticised. Israel, for all its faults, is a democracy. Arab citizens can vote in general elections, and Arab parties sit in parliament. There are Arab justices on the Supreme Court, and Arab doctors in the health service. All of this would have been unthinkable in apartheid South Africa. How the Israeli army behaves in the occupied territories of course is appalling. But they stopped counting the dead bodies in Iraq after the US and UK invasion. So glass houses and all that.
The role of Britain in shaping the borders and the conflicts of the Middle East is huge. I would imagine that Morrissey as someone of Irish descent, and another part of the world where partition didn't work out too well, as far as Israel is concerned just feels obliged to sing his songs and rise above all the grimness of history, and current events.
Well summarised.

Yeah, I know. Just strikes me as odd. He obviously leans to the political right these days, and the song “This Is Not Your Country” would indicate he is anti-Northern Ireland, yet supports Israel…

Not criticising him for it, I’d just be interested in hearing his reasoning.
please read my reply above...
Part of his reasoning is that Israel is a free and liberal country, while in Gaza, run by Hamas, gays are thrown from the roof, and western music is forbidden. How many western performers had a gig in Gaza? Even Roger Waters won't play there, but he did in Israel (before he turned into an old anti-semite). Just think about the Ariana Grande or Paris's Bataclan terror attacks - aimed at western music. This is what redical Islam supports. What do you think was the reaction by Palestinians hearing about those attacks? They were cheering and handing out candys in the streets....
So why Morrissey supports Israel? The question is how you can support someone else in this conflict. And yes, Roger waters supports Putin... It goes well with his support to the Palestinians.

The chances of Morrissey knowing any of what you wrote seem very slim. But you never know.
Hey, Moz knows his history… He has been to Israel at least 3 times and stayed for long so also had time to travel and see many places. I am sure he knows everything I wrote.

The "political" discussion straying well away from a gig/tour announcement is now in O/T.
The This Is Not Your Country discussion is now in its A-Z thread.
FWD.

Blah blah blah.. an artist has not country , no religion. Pretty much. Is just a performer. That's what he does for a living.. perform . And how wonderful it is that he has fans on those countries. Which is a bit different from your views . Like me a western human who loves Morrissey.

His fondness for Israel has always confused me, I would have marked him as someone who would fall on the Palestine side of the… dispute.
He identifies with the deep history of Jewish people—which transcends the modern state by a few millennia (without denying it, obviously).

He's going for the matzo ball soup and the band will be wearing yarmulkes.

Shouldn't that Central headline be "Yisra'el"?

Last edited by a moderator:
some spectacular ignorance here...

Without going into the forever bore-topic of only seeing the political conflict when hearing the word "Israel" (but maybe some history reading would do good)...

...If you do know your Moz and do know your Israel; the love affair between them two makes all the sense in the world.

Tel Aviv is after San Francisco and Amsterdam THE gay centre of the world

Tel Aviv is maybe the world's most impatient - creative - artistic - diverse place.

Tel Aviv is in its mentality and atmosphere more truly liberal than most other western cities, if not all.

Tel Aviv is forever changing its look and vibe because nothing there is constant for any period of time.

Tel Aviv is the economical - cultural - artistic centre of the world's only Jewish nation - a people maybe more well read and intellectually articulate than any other.

Last edited:
do palestine next
would be great but they probably wouldn't allow it. Palestine (west bank and gaza) is a fiercely homophobic and intolerant place. (and I have, unlike most of you- been there)

they have some cool cats there - unfortunately the regime is doing their outmost to silence all voices expressing any sort of individuality.

just one example:

Time Out on what's on in Tel Aviv
https://www.timeout.com/israel/tel-aviv

A few of the city's sights

There is a lot to do, both in Tel Aviv and at many reasonably accessible incredibly historic places throughout the land. Be aware thousands of people have turned out on the streets for recent anti-government protests; there may be more.

Airport security is intense. I had Turkish and Egyptian visa stamps on my passport which, along with being Irish, I suppose, earned me an hour of severe interrogation and search.

There is a lot to do, both in Tel Aviv and at many reasonably accessible incredibly historic places throughout the land. Be aware thousands of people have turned out on the streets for recent anti-government protests; there may be more.

Airport security is intense. I had Turkish and Egyptian visa stamps on my passport which, along with being Irish, I suppose, earned me an hour of severe interrogation and search.

Well, a Turkish stamp in your passport is not a problem. Actually it's a top travel destination for most Israelis... The Egyptian one is still OK (Israel has a peace with Egypt, but it's a very cold one). Let's say if you've been to Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Syria, Afganistan, Pakistan, Libya and a few more you'll be questioned for some time, but still, you'll off course be allowed in.
Regarding the protests : it is not an issue for tourists, but might cause very slow travel in trains or on the streets might get slow. Personally, I oppose our corrupt PM and hope we'll be able to get rid of him soon. But do remember, half of all Americans opposed Trump. I guess the other half opposed Obama and Biden. So now it's our turn... But really, for a tourist it's a very safe place, especially Tel Aviv. Jerusalem tends see some riots from time to time, but still, 99% of the time it's safe.
For me it's a big surprise that he'll have 3!!! shows. on his first and second visits he had only 1, and on the third visit, about 5 years ago, he had 2.
I guess many Moz fans will go to all three... If it's in 3 different locations I guess that's what I'll do. If it's same vanue, maybe just for 2 of them.

Guns ‘N Roses, Morrissey reportedly to return to Israel this summer

Contracts said signed with American rockers and British singer/songwriter for June and July shows
It would be the British singer’s fourth time in Israel — not all that surprising, given how much he loves the country and likes to publicly profess his adoration.

Morrissey last performed here in 2016 and had plans for a 2020 concert that were canceled due to the pandemic.

Personally, I much prefer this advert, from a few years ago, for Tel Aviv:

(In case you're wondering: Shir Elmaliach)

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom