Morrissey Central “Y’ISRA EL” (February 17, 2023)

His fondness for Israel has always confused me, I would have marked him as someone who would fall on the Palestine side of the… dispute.
I'm no fan of the state of Israel. Created after a land grab from the poor Palestinians who were living there. But really you could say the same about most countries on the face of the globe. Most countries were created after stealing land that previously belonged to someone else. In fact, it's hard to think of a country that wasn't. We are a lovely species...

Hopefully they'll be more successful than the 2 never rescheduled gigs in 2020...
FWD.

and the rest of the european tour, or one country at a time....

Maybe it has something to do with being in a nightclub in Tel Aviv until 4 am.

I'm no fan of the state of Israel. Created after a land grab from the poor Palestinians who were living there. But really you could say the same about most countries on the face of the globe. Most countries were created after stealing land that previously belonged to someone else. In fact, it's hard to think of a country that wasn't. We are a lovely species...
I guess issues arise when, as a citizen, you’re asked to condemn one country making such a land grab whilst you’re simultaneously being asked to ignore the expansions of another.

An apartheid state with a far right government.Sad what he has become when he was appearing on stage at "Red Wedge" with The Smiths did he really want to be playing Sun City?

There’s no point in punishing an entire nation for something its leader says or does. (Morrissey, Channel 2 News Israel, July 2012)

I love this city [Tel Aviv]. The rest of the world does not like Israel well. But the people there are very generous and friendly. You should never judge a people by their government. It is very rare for the government to reflect the wishes of the people. (Morrissey, Der Spiegel, November 2017)

He loves Istanbul & wanted to play Iran - which gave us this headline:

20230217_195533.jpg

Last edited:
I think Morrissey just appreciates those who appreciate him. He got the keys to Tel Aviv. If, say, Birmingham had awarded him the keys to the City, he'd likely be playing there.

There’s no point in punishing an entire nation for something its leader says or does. (Morrissey, Channel 2 News Israel, July 2012)

I love this city [Tel Aviv]. The rest of the world does not like Israel well. But the people there are very generous and friendly. You should never judge a people by their government. It is very rare for the government to reflect the wishes of the people. (Morrissey, Der Spiegel, November 2017)

He loves Istanbul & wanted to play Iran - which gave us this headline:

View attachment 88920
Yes, I really should have taken that headline more seriously……

An apartheid state with a far right government.Sad what he has become when he was appearing on stage at "Red Wedge" with The Smiths did he really want to be playing Sun City?

If you knew anything about the current SA situation, you'd know it's turned into a racist state against whites, who are openly discriminated against. Go on Youtube sometimes and look at the white homeless camps or check the number of murdered white farmers over the yrs.

Although the UN, Amnesty and similar bodies have been describing the situation there as apartheid, which would be pretty low in high school.

Although the UN, Amnesty and similar bodies have been describing the situation there as apartheid, which would be pretty low in high school.
It was the UN that created the state so it's a bit rich of them to chuck that accusation. And their condemnation of China has been very muted at times, the WHO even praising their handling of covid. Amnesty I have more respect for, but the apartheid accusation has not been generally accepted and has been heavily criticised. Israel, for all its faults, is a democracy. Arab citizens can vote in general elections, and Arab parties sit in parliament. There are Arab justices on the Supreme Court, and Arab doctors in the health service. All of this would have been unthinkable in apartheid South Africa. How the Israeli army behaves in the occupied territories of course is appalling. But they stopped counting the dead bodies in Iraq after the US and UK invasion. So glass houses and all that.
The role of Britain in shaping the borders and the conflicts of the Middle East is huge. I would imagine that Morrissey as someone of Irish descent, and another part of the world where partition didn't work out too well, as far as Israel is concerned just feels obliged to sing his songs and rise above all the grimness of history, and current events.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom