Morrissey Central “THERE IS A PLACE” (September 18, 2022)

C00EEB68-4CB3-4A0D-8E7F-54D0272F76AC.jpeg

Also on Central Instagram:

Assuming California Son even gets the visa to enter England, I wonder if he will have his favorite stage backdrop up for these gigs, the one of the queen with a black eye and her hair messed up. If he does, what are you foreign England people going to do?

Assuming California Son even gets the visa to enter England, I wonder if he will have his favorite stage backdrop up for these gigs, the one of the queen with a black eye and her hair messed up. If he does, what are you foreign England people going to do?
The road crew could set up a basketball hoop on stage and California Son could just shoot free throws for an hour and the England people would not know the difference because they are so delusional and duped.

Why? Moz is a much bigger and iconic artist than Suede could ever hope to be.

But Suede are great too. Love them.

Why? Moz is a much bigger and iconic artist than Suede could ever hope to be.

But Suede are great too. Love them.
It surprises me cos Suede have been on the up for the last decade, each album stronger than the last - producing some of their best work ever, in fact - getting raves and selling out tours... whereas Morrissey's relevancy has been on the wane for years. Iconic, yes, but at this point he's trading firmly on past glories.

All imo, naturally

Again the world is bigger than the UK.

But yes, in the UK too, Morrissey’s last four albums charted 2, 4, 5 and 3.

Suede’s last four at 10, 6, 5 and hopefully Autofiction top-5 too.

Worldwide Moz has 1.8 million monthly listeners, Suede 0.8 million. A huge difference.

Again the world is bigger than the UK.

But yes, in the UK too, Morrissey’s last four albums charted 2, 4, 5 and 3.

Suede’s last four at 10, 6, 5 and hopefully Autofiction top-5 too.

Worldwide Moz has 1.8 million monthly listeners, Suede 0.8 million. A huge difference.

Chart position doesn't mean more sales, how many sales were there from those albums.

Nobody knows the exact worldwide sales for any of these albums but once you combine the worldwide chart positions and streaming data I think the picture is quite clear.

Having seen both Suede and M recently, I have to say Suede were better. Far more energy from Bret & the crowd than at the M shows. Hoping for a bit more these next few weeks from M. Roll on Saturday !!

Can you provide evidence? Just curious.
Here's a link to the Suede sales
Are you sure about that? Night Thoughts sold 29117 and The Blue Hour 27396.
The last two Suede albums have easily outside the last two Morrissey albums in the UK, but hard to say internationally.
The new Suede album has sold nearly 10,200 by tonight (Tuesday) so that will also outsell the last two Morrissey albums. However, Low in High School shifted 25,000 in week 1 (thanks to Spent the Day receiving tons of airplay (for a Morrissey single)) and will have gone on to sell 40,000-50,000.
So, Suede have outsold the last two M albums but not the one before which came out in autumn 2017.

Last edited:
Here's a link to the Suede sales

The last two Suede albums have easily outside the last two Morrissey albums in the UK, but hard to say internationally.
The new Suede album has sold nearly 10,200 by tonight (Tuesday) so that will also outsell the last two Morrissey albums. However, Low in High School shifted 25,000 in week 1 (thanks to Spent the Day receiving tons of airplay (for a Morrissey single)) and will have gone on to sell 40,000-50,000.
So, Suede have outsold the last two M albums but not the one before which came out in autumn 2017.
You’re just guessing. You have no idea how many sales there are in total for the last 3 Morrissey albums in the U.K.

Having seen both Suede and M recently, I have to say Suede were better. Far more energy from Bret & the crowd than at the M shows. Hoping for a bit more these next few weeks from M. Roll on Saturday !!
Suede have always been ‘better’ energy-wise and interacting with the crowd. They play all the hits too, always. As most artists do.

Moz has never done so, so don’t have your hopes up too high.

You’re just guessing. You have no idea how many sales there are in total for the last 3 Morrissey albums in the U.K.
No precise figure is fair enough.
No idea is not.
Dog on a Chain sold fewer than 6,000 in week 1 and went flying out of the top 100 in week 2 and will have got nowhere near 10,000 let alone the 27,000 to 29,000 the Suede albums sold.
I know for a fact that Low in High School sold 25,000 in week 1 and stayed in the album chart for at least two or three weeks so will almost certainly have outsold those Suede albums.
Got no real idea about worldwide sales although historically Morrissey albums sold about a third of all their copies in the UK. If that's still the case (and it may not be) Suede will have sold more copies of their last two albums in the UK then Morrissey managed worldwide.

Suede have always been ‘better’ energy-wise and interacting with the crowd. They play all the hits too, always. As most artists do.

Moz has never done so, so don’t have your hopes up too high.
What do you mean by hits exactly?
Before the streaming era, most Morrissey singles hit the top 20, received bugger all airplay and then went flying out.
He's only had about 6 or 7 songs that picked up decent airplay support (top 20 airplay chart) in the UK and are therefore known by more than the immediate fanbase. These are Suedehead, Everyday is like Sunday, Ignore Me, Alma Matters, First of the Gang, Irish Blood and Spent the Day in Bed. That's it. Are those the ones he should play?
The closest any single got to #1 was You Have Killed Me whose sales would have got it to #1 the week before, but are people really that bothered about hearing it?
In any poll of all his songs, Speedway and Now My Heart come right near the top but they weren't even singles in the UK.
So, the concept of him playing hits is pretty ambiguous.
It's likely that most people at the concerts will know most of the Smiths songs - taking those into account plus the solo airplay 'hits', he was playing about 10 relatively well-known songs in the last tour, which I'd say is a pretty decent amount.

With hits I mean his 10 most popular songs (as we can easily see these days on Spotify). Suede will play them all, most artists would play most of theirs, but with Moz you’re lucky if you get 1 or 2.

With hits I mean his 10 most popular songs (as we can easily see these days on Spotify). Suede will play them all, most artists would play most of theirs, but with Moz you’re lucky if you get 1 or 2.
Oh fair enough - I need to find out more about this whole Spotify thing!
Would be interesting to know what the songs are...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom