“THE SPIDERS FROM MOZ” – 30 YEARS OF ‘YOUR ARSENAL’ - dickiefelton.com (July 27, 2022)

21punksalute sends the link:

“THE SPIDERS FROM MOZ” – 30 YEARS OF ‘YOUR ARSENAL’ - dickiefelton.com

Excerpt:

He arrived on stage dressed in black and opened with a song from a long-lost era.

Morrissey chose ‘We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful’ to launch his recent residency at The Colosseum in Las Vegas.

Thirty fathoms ago that track was the debut single from his ‘Your Arsenal’ record.

Released on 27 July 1992 ‘Your Arsenal’ would climb to four in the UK charts and 21 in the US Billboard 200.

full

I like Your Arsenal but it's not one of my favourites. I know that is crazy sacrilegious talk round these parts but TQID is not my favourite Smiths album either so there you go. I like it because it gave us six excellent music videos, even for two that weren't singles! When the f*** does that ever happen? I have a bit of a think for Morrissey music videos, especially when they're of such high quality. The band just looked so damn good back then. The videos for Glamorous Glue and Tomorrow are just so damn good!

I like Your Arsenal but it's not one of my favourites. I know that is crazy sacrilegious talk round these parts but TQID is not my favourite Smiths album either so there you go. I like it because it gave us six excellent music videos, even for two that weren't singles! When the f*** does that ever happen? I have a bit of a think for Morrissey music videos, especially when they're of such high quality. The band just looked so damn good back then. The videos for Glamorous Glue and Tomorrow are just so damn good!
I love this video so much, it's like Morrissey screaming Bitches, I am back, but I never left!!!

I'd rate YA after VH and V&I... but it's still top 3 for me. I see YA as a new beginning, with new writing partners and new inspiration. With YA he got his "mojo" back after his dissatisfaction with KU. IMO, it started an upward trajectory that lasted through Boxers.

I can feel the chill of the cold leather seats of a friend’s parents’ car while driving aimlessly over the backroads in the middle of the night… smell the cigarette smoke and beer on our breath. And remember the anticipation of all of the unknowns in life during this wild, free and disconnected (from phones and the internet) era. What a great time to be alive. Alive and joyously miserable.

I believe it was only played early on then dropped. I know I had it on a bootleg at one point - perhaps Dreams I'll Never See? Sadly, it appears that the Passions Just Like Mine website is now officially defunct so I can't verify.
You can.... and, yes, it was played during the first part of the tour and then dropped... quite a good memory considering that it was in 1992!
I saw him in London during that tour and I have just checked that he didn't play Interesting Drug for me there.
"Your Arsenal" is probably my favorite (besides from "Bona Drag"*), but "We hate it" is the weakest song in the album, I don't dislike it, but it's the weakest one for me.

*When Morrissey himself made a ranking of his best albums according to him, he listed "Bona Drag" as an ALBUM... so I will not even discuss with all those CRAZY conspiracy theorists who claim that it's just a collection of singles. Just go and discuss your flat earth theories with someone else.... Bona Drag is al Album.

EDIT: I had a lunch with Justin Timberlake on the same day and we discussed about Morrissey, but he didn't know many songs by him... but he remembered "Everyday is like Sunday" (And the lunch was completely accidental, not because I have "contacts" or even because I am interested in Justin... we simply got stuck in a pub and it was impossible to leave because of his teenage fans, so he invited me to have a lunch because I was kinda trapped because of him).

I love this video so much, it's like Morrissey screaming Bitches, I am back, but I never left!!!

If I recall correctly, they originally attempted to record a different video for this song.

One day, a friend & fellow Morrissey fan called me up & told me that it had been announced that they were going to be filming a Morrissey video in a tiny bar in downtown Chicago & that the first 50 people to turn up dressed completely in black were going to be invited in to be the audience for the filming.

For some reason my friend later decided against going, &, seeing as I didn’t drive at the time, I didn’t get to go either.

My (now ex) first wife did go, though, & was one of the 50. She told me that they were let inside & instructed to run at & jump all over Morrissey as they filmed one take of him miming to Glamorous Glue. She said that she went completely insane & clawed at him like a lunatic as they all piled onto him, & that they were all instantly ejected after the song had finished.

I guess Morrissey wasn’t happy with the results ‘cos the footage was never used. I’ve always wished I could see it, especially as my ex is no longer with us.

Were any other members of this site at this shoot or have any more information about it?

Your Arsenal will always exist at the upper reaches of Moz’s output and deserves recognition as a significant glam rock album as well

If I recall correctly, they originally attempted to record a different video for this song.

One day, a friend & fellow Morrissey fan called me up & told me that it had been announced that they were going to be filming a Morrissey video in a tiny bar in downtown Chicago & that the first 50 people to turn up dressed completely in black were going to be invited in to be the audience for the filming.

For some reason my friend later decided against going, &, seeing as I didn’t drive at the time, I didn’t get to go either.

My (now ex) first wife did go, though, & was one of the 50. She told me that they were let inside & instructed to run at & jump all over Morrissey as they filmed one take of him miming to Glamorous Glue. She said that she went completely insane & clawed at him like a lunatic as they all piled onto him, & that they were all instantly ejected after the song had finished.

I guess Morrissey wasn’t happy with the results ‘cos the footage was never used. I’ve always wished I could see it, especially as my ex is no longer with us.

Were any other members of this site at this shoot or have any more information about it?

thought I post this. I don’t think solo has any info on this (?)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom