“Staircase At The University” made Entertainment Weekly’s top 10 this week

It's one of the great ironies of the album and a particularly Morrissey thing methinks that some of the most joyous vocal parts are when he sings particularly sad or scary lines. Like the chorus of Scandinavia, for instance, or the way he sings "And her head split three waaaaaaaays!".
It makes my heart sing until I realise what he's singing...

This song is alright but nowhere near as good as everyone is making out. I think it is just the best of a bad bunch of songs off this album.

What the British call "sarcasm" is normally nothing more than passive - aggressive behavior. The British tend to lack the ability to be direct in conversation; therefore, they tend to be passive - aggressive in many instances. Sad, but true.

This is so true. I'm British and the sarcasm, which isn't even proper sarcasm, accounts for most of the 'humour' here. Even the much-vaunted British sense of irony is, in fact, almost always more cheap sarcasm. They don't call it the lowest form of wit for nothing.
Why anyone would parade their Britishness now when the culture here is worthless and we're nothing more than an embarrassment these days is beyond me.
Morrissey was 100% correct about London on 'Glamorous Glue' and he got away from England at the right time.

This is so true. I'm British and the sarcasm, which isn't even proper sarcasm, accounts for most of the 'humour' here. Even the much-vaunted British sense of irony is, in fact, almost always more cheap sarcasm. They don't call it the lowest form of wit for nothing.
Why anyone would parade their Britishness now when the culture here is worthless and we're nothing more than an embarrassment these days is beyond me.
Morrissey was 100% correct about London on 'Glamorous Glue' and he got away from England at the right time.
Absolutely!
We are all miserable scum with no right whatsoever to inhabit gods good clean earth.
We should be pushed into the sea along with our cheap sarcasm, poor dental health and appalling clothes sense.

Absolutely!
We are all miserable scum with no right whatsoever to inhabit gods good clean earth.
We should be pushed into the sea along with our cheap sarcasm, poor dental health and appalling clothes sense.

More sarcasm-as-irony, there.
I agree with the final sentiments, though...

I can't help smiling at the way he sings "your dead". There's a flatness and an abruptness to it that's pure comedy understatement.

Does anyone else have a video in their head for this song, or is that just me?

What the British call "sarcasm" is normally nothing more than passive - aggressive behavior. The British tend to lack the ability to be direct in conversation; therefore, they tend to be passive - aggressive in many instances. Sad, but true.

What a load of bollocks

It's not even just crap sarcasm. It's so heavily deployed and unsubtle.
It tries too hard and falls incredibly short - and all you're left with is the bitterness.
The British culture now is utterly worthless. Thank God with the interwebs we have access to better culture from abroad. Funny comedy, great music, brilliant cinema and drama, etc.
What a moribund and desolate place this would be without that...

It tries too hard and falls incredibly short - and all you're left with is the bitterness.
The British culture now is utterly worthless. Thank God with the interwebs we have access to better culture from abroad. Funny comedy, great music, brilliant cinema and drama, etc.

Which Anonymous are you? Please create a user name, so I can at least work out if you're the same person who is typing other nonsensical statements in this forum.

Still, tragic Little Englanders who can't see how desperate their culture and country has become are comedy gold.
There's always that...

Absolutely!

Right - don't let me stop you! Bon voyage!!

Which is to be found where exactly?

A pub in Glasgow? An Indian takeaway in Cardiff? A tennis court in Kensington? A frozen food production line in Southport? A mosque in Liverpool? A Conservative Club in Hastings?

A pub in Glasgow? An Indian takeaway in Cardiff? A tennis court in Kensington? A frozen food production line in Southport? A mosque in Liverpool? A Conservative Club in Hastings?
Good point.
Although, it may be a mistake to try and engage in a rational arguement as I do not think they are striving for truth, beauty and justice.
I reckon they hope to upset a few UKIPers.
Although it is healthy as a white male to suffer racist attacks. Now I know how it feels (not really).
Because of the very point you make it's rather hard to get upset over this.

If you're looking for culture in those places I wouldn't hold your breath! Though you might get a pint in the pub, some food in the takeaway, etc...
I love the way 'Peterb' goes out of his way to not seem defensive or bothered and in doing so comes across as incredibly defensive and bovvered. Must be an age thing.

If you're looking for culture in those places I wouldn't hold your breath! Though you might get a pint in the pub, some food in the takeaway, etc...
I love the way 'Peterb' goes out of his way to not seem defensive or bothered and in doing so comes across as incredibly defensive and bovvered. Must be an age thing.
Do you love it? Do you really love it?
How jolly.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom