Morrissey Central “SAY IT LOUD, I’M ME AND I’M PROUD.” (September 29, 2021)

MORRISSEY CENTRAL

“SAY IT LOUD, I’M ME AND I’M PROUD.”

1) World Peace Is None Of Your Business.
2) Ringleader of the Tormentors.
3) You Are The Quarry.
4) Bona Drag.
5) Vauxhall and I.
6) Your Arsenal.
7) Louder than Bombs.
8) Strangeways, Here We Come.
9) Rank.
10) Swords.
11) California Son.
12) I Am Not A Dog On A Chain.
13) Years Of Refusal.
14) Low In High School.
15) Southpaw Grammar.
16) Beethoven Was Deaf.
17) Meat Is Murder.
18) The Queen Is Dead.
19) Maladjusted.
20) Viva Hate.
21) Greatest Hits.
22) Hatful of Hollow.
23) Singles.
24) Live at Earls Court.
25) The World Won't Listen.
26) Kill Uncle.
27) The Best Of.
28) Very Best Of.
29) The Smiths.
30) Rare.

Images omitted.
Zero context given around numbering.
Regards,
FWD.

I love it. Ehh apart from the minute of nonsense Freddie Kruger pipe clanging at the start of I'm Not A Man.

FsWU.gif

The rest of that particular song was not overly compelling either.

My first thought was "he's retiring" given the "my way" song and listing of supposedly ranked albums (which I do not think they are based on their ordering). Maybe he's stating "look at all these albums over this many years" to record companies - "I have a new album waiting in the wings." I could be completely off on this, but it struck me as a way to create attention for the new album to record execs. I'm hoping that's the case, he was fabulous in Vegas and has more left in the tank performing and recording. Yes he's 62, but he's aging and performing gracefully into this stage of his life. Keep going Moz, doing it your way, we're here and we love ya~

in your opinion.
Best Smiths album: ‘Strangeways….’ (Captures the band in a state of transition, giving a tantalising glimpse of “What if?” had Johnny not jumped ship after doing a Cilla Black cover).
Best Smiths compilation: ‘The World Won’t Listen’ (I’ll admit to my bias, as I bought it as a 19th Birthday prezzie to myself).
Best solo album: ‘Viva Hate’ (Stephen Street’s songs and his arrangements still remain unsurpassed. To hear that familiar voice in a different musical landscape still makes for thrilling listening, even now).
Best solo compilation: ‘Bona Drag’ (A stopgap? Perhaps. But still terrific, all the same. All the subsequent ‘Best Of’ albums and the like are just retreads done to ever diminishing returns).

Last edited:
Best Smiths album: ‘Strangeways….’ (Captures the band in a state of transition, giving a tantalising glimpse of “What if?” had Johnny not jumped ship after doing a Cilla Black cover).
Best Smiths compilation: ‘The World Won’t Listen’ (I’ll admit to my bias, as I bought it as a 19th Birthday prezzie to myself).
For me Louder Than has always been my favorite comp and best when compared to others, it’s gold from from start to finish. Morrissey seems to feel the same way about it, I was surprised that he even acknowledged it actually.
Best solo album: ‘Viva Hate’ (Stephen Street’s songs and his arrangements still remain unsurpassed.
Good songs yeah, and agree on hearing his voice with those arrangements.
To hear that familiar voice in a different musical landscape still makes for thrilling listening, even now).
But Vauxhall probably best solo in regards to that for the first time really hearing that voice, I mean Lillywhite on that album really showcased his voice like no other.
Best solo compilation: ‘Bona Drag’ (A stopgap? Perhaps. But still terrific, all the same. All the subsequent ‘Best Of’ albums and the like are just retreads done to ever diminishing returns).

Yeah, right..so..now Mummy's croaked, u feel ready to 'come out' of the closet?

Better later than never...that appropriation of #LGBTQI culture was old long ago and far away mt8....

Now u iz trying to muscle in on Black culture to enliven your whiny white ass?

Do one...

BB

Screenshot_20211003-142758_Chrome.jpg

Best solo album: ‘Viva Hate’ (Stephen Street’s songs and his arrangements still remain unsurpassed. To hear that familiar voice in a different musical landscape still makes for thrilling listening, even now).
Responding to the "In your opinion."
Lets take your #1 solo album, WPINOYB, and I'll take his least favorite solo, 20) Viva Hate, which concert setlist would you rather go see? And before you answer imagine live Ordinary Boys, Alsation Cousin, I don't mind forget me, Maudeline, Break up Family, Bengali, Dial Cliche, versus Bullfighter, World Peace?

Responding to the "In your opinion."
Lets take your #1 solo album, WPINOYB, and I'll take his least favorite solo, 20) Viva Hate, which concert setlist would you rather go see? And before you answer imagine live Ordinary Boys, Alsation Cousin, I don't mind forget me, Maudeline, Break up Family, Bengali, Dial Cliche, versus Bullfighter, World Peace?
‘Bengali’? Unlikely. Never played live, as far as I know. He probably would play it to appear “edgy”. But who’s to say he wouldn’t dare now, even he would see it as a step too far.
Looking back now, if he’d have kept his nerve - as well as the personnel and producer, he’d have surpassed ‘Viva Hate’ and not released the underwhelming yet underrated ‘Kill Uncle’ instead. Just a thought.

Last edited:
OK, Moz - now we need an ordered list of all 178 Smiths and solo singles. Get rankin'!

I’ve always loved World Peace and thought it would have been rightly ranked as his best since since Vauxhall, if he hadnt left most the best songs off it and relegated them to the deluxe edition. What was he thinking?

I completely get this list, just don’t understand why he didn’t include My Early Burglary Years, World of Morrissey or This Is Morrissey. He seemed quite proud of them at the time of release.
I agree. My Early Burglary Years is actually my favourite solo compilation of his. I've converted people to Morrissey by playing them that album.

I’ve always loved World Peace and thought it would have been rightly ranked as his best since since Vauxhall, if he hadnt left most the best songs off it and relegated them to the deluxe edition. What was he thinking?
Just listened to the bonus tracks on WPINOYB, horrid, unimaginative. Tobias and Gustavo have absolutely no music making talent, sounds like the background music you could program on your casio keyboard as a kid!

It's amazing how differently people here classify WPINOYB. But then again Ricky Martin, Enrique Iglesesias, Marc Anthony, JLO and Gloria Estefan also have a strong following.

After a long stretch of slog rock albums with well-worn lyrical themes, World Peace opened Morrissey's world both musically and lyrically. Not everything works, there are several missteps, but it's still refreshing album in its adventurousness. Plus the bonus disc is in a different league compared to the LIHS deluxe edition additions.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom