“Roald Dahl books rewritten to remove language deemed offensive" FFS!

A

Anonymous

“Roald Dahl books rewritten to remove language deemed offensive​

Augustus Gloop now ‘enormous’ instead of ‘fat’, Mrs Twit no longer ‘ugly’ and Oompa Loompas are gender neutral”

These people are crazy.

A great artist brought low by his adherence to a cultish ideology.
It's just such utter bollocks, isn't it?

Suppose your mum wears a hairpiece due to chemotherapy and kids in your class call her a witch because they read in Dahl's book that witches all wear wigs.

Does Bragg honestly think that children are that f***ing stupid?

Presumably he'll no longer sing "The Milkman of Human Kindness" (a gorgeous song), because "milkman" is sexist and also some of his audience might be lactose intolerant.

Suppose your mum wears a hairpiece due to chemotherapy and kids in your class call her a witch because they read in Dahl's book that witches all wear wigs.

Presumably he'll no longer sing "The Milkman of Human Kindness" (a gorgeous song), because "milkman" is sexist and also some of his audience might be lactose intolerant.

He probably does think children are that stupid (if he thinks about it at all. At this point it appears he's too captive to the brainwashing to think). His politics were compelling in the 80s, because there was a real beauty to his songs resisting the crass materialism & hypocritical cant of the Reagan/Thatcher axis. You didn't have to go all-in for his Marxism to appreciate his themes.

And the thing about The Milkman of Human Kindness is that he'd be more likely to ditch it for the absurd reasons you suggested he might, and never out of any consideration for the plight of the animals in the dairy industry. Not that he should ditch it for that reason either (Morrissey didn't scruple to sing about smooth leather seats), but the absurd focus on micro-aggression and snowflake offenses at the expense of far greater horrors is disgraceful. Morrissey, for all his occasional lunacy, is so much more principled.

It'll be interesting to see, in the long term, which of these two's legacies gets ruined by their reaction to the "woke" trend. Neither one is likely to change, so posterity will be the decider.

Last edited:

All he needs to do is go the Sam Smith route and call it the Milkthem :ROFLMAO:

Welcome to the UK in 2023: Roald Dahl books are considered too dangerous for children to read, but drag act storytime in schools and guys in thongs doing sexualised prancing around in front of kids is OK. Jeepers - we really are through the looking glass.

The problem with these "culture wars," Dominique Samuels, is that the definition of "absolutely abhorrent" differs from person to person.

Very well. But compare the indignities of a drag queen story hour to this:

Let me guess, the Lord God said it was okay (Genesis 9:2).

Wow. So you can rewrite books, now?

I'm against the cretinous suggestion that anything by Roro should be rewritten.

...However...If somebody decides to rewrite a classic like..oh I don't know..."List of the Lost Plot"...finally taking into account readers sensitive to bad literature...

Edit: wait-why bother rewriting books? When you can just burn'em?!
Isn't it time for hoomanity to unlearn to read anywayz?

“Roald Dahl books rewritten to remove language deemed offensive​

Augustus Gloop now ‘enormous’ instead of ‘fat’, Mrs Twit no longer ‘ugly’ and Oompa Loompas are gender neutral”

I agree with everyone this is utter nonsense and Billy Bragg is a fool. However worth noting that sometimes it is okay to revise things that do not stand the test of time. I'm in my late 40's and I can remember being taught as a child "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe, catch a (N-word) by his toe if he squeals let him go". Its a nice little rhyme that help kids make a choice but if it wasn't revised (the word tiger is substituted nowadays) it would have been lost forever. Similarly Enid Blyton's books (popular in the UK) were updated long ago to remove the "racist" language and the sky didn't fall in. The old version are still available if you prefer. The problem with the Roald Dahl updates is that fat is a perfectly good word and removing it to avoid upsetting people is simply pathetic. Billy quotes a passage from the Twits in which Dahl suggests that over time people get the face they deserve. Bragg thinks this should be removed because its offensive. I happen to think its true. The observation that somehow crooked teeth and nose are ok to pass only draws attention to how ridiculous this all is.

better not touch bond or i will be digging out my walther ppk and jump in the db5 and give the sensitivity reader a right good talking to.
pussy galore.
plenty o toole.
holly goodhead.
xenia onnatop.
chew mee.
out of the 75 bond girls these are the only ones they would have a problem with.
all very normal sounding names where i come from.

I agree with everyone this is utter nonsense and Billy Bragg is a fool. However worth noting that sometimes it is okay to revise things that do not stand the test of time. I'm in my late 40's and I can remember being taught as a child "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe, catch a (N-word) by his toe if he squeals let him go". Its a nice little rhyme that help kids make a choice but if it wasn't revised (the word tiger is substituted nowadays) it would have been lost forever. Similarly Enid Blyton's books (popular in the UK) were updated long ago to remove the "racist" language and the sky didn't fall in. The old version are still available if you prefer. The problem with the Roald Dahl updates is that fat is a perfectly good word and removing it to avoid upsetting people is simply pathetic. Billy quotes a passage from the Twits in which Dahl suggests that over time people get the face they deserve. Bragg thinks this should be removed because its offensive. I happen to think its true. The observation that somehow crooked teeth and nose are ok to pass only draws attention to how ridiculous this all is.
In that case, in regards to Billy Bragg, Roald Dahl is absolutely spot-on :ROFLMAO:

Welcome to the UK in 2023: Roald Dahl books are considered too dangerous for children to read, but drag act storytime in schools and guys in thongs doing sexualised prancing around in front of kids is OK. Jeepers - we really are through the looking glass.
And to be honest, all those changes in the educational system scare me. Books are rewritten, banned, and what will be next? As a student, I always try to look for new information, and I don't like what I read. We need some educational changes, but not like this. I'm actually working on one paper, which is dedicated to educational changes. I have a draft already, and it was hard to come up with the title, but a friend of mine recommended me going here and trying that free essay title generator, which indeed helped me a lot. And when I have the title read, then it's easier for me to write; that's why I started from it. And now, after reading this thread, I have something new to add. I'm looking for more info, but I hope I won't find something like this, but maybe positive.

That's really sad. I wonder what will be rewritten the next time, or maybe all books will be banned? I've read a few articles that there is already a list of books that are banned in some schools. And I was surprised because I read a few books from the list, and I have no idea what was wrong with it

Back
Top Bottom