Morrissey Central “REBELS WITHOUT ASSISTANCE” (December 22, 2022)

"It's been quite sad. The absence of any promotion is noticeable. It's devastating how no one can ever get this right. But they can't, or they won't. Radio stations, as far as I can tell, will play just about anything they're asked to. But as I've always said, true artists must always look after themselves whereas non-artists are encouraged and advanced beyond reason. When you walk through a storm hold your head up high … as the song goes!"

Morrissey in conversation, Los Angeles, December 2022.
Provided by K, C and H.

😁Yeah as if "positive" and "critical" go together in some people's view on here. The flipside isn't better, because if someone says something slightly critical he's automatically not a real fan or a hater. But I guess that's something no one will solve unless we respect different opinions.

Yes, unfortunately some find it impossible to merge the two.

Yes, I would never say someone isn’t a fan because they are critical of M. But being ‘slightly critical’ is not a problem as far as I can see. But also, being ‘slightly critical’ is not that common here.

Yes, of course, we should respect others opinions, and we should question why they feel that way, and really get to the bottom of it.

All we have to say about Sam is this gem.

Attachments

• AB224CC9-E570-4E02-A7A2-32DB5EB6749F.png
    AB224CC9-E570-4E02-A7A2-32DB5EB6749F.png
    271.5 KB · Views: 0
Morrissey, as much as I love him, is so self absorbed that he couldn't even acknowledge the death of David Bowie, a man who he idolised at one point, a man who covered one of his songs (imagine Bowie covering one of your songs? That's a big deal), and a man he toured with.

He certainly doesn't have the grace or dignity to acknowledge the death of Terry Hall. And why would he? If he did, he'd only be compared to Terry, a man who was only 2 months older than Morrissey, who, let's face it, was a much nicer person in every single way, despite the stereotypical image of Terry being a dour, depressed and joyless man.
I think the Bowie thing was embarrassment more than spite. Moz met his ultimate hero, then things went sour for unknown reasons and he was left to prattle on about "David Showie" whilst DB just stopped acknowledging his existence. He didn't really want to acknowledge what had happened so he 'ignored' the death.

Yes M did prattle on, and he may have felt bad that they didn’t have a closer relationship. I think if M gave a word at the time of Bowie’s death, then after, if someone cornered him with the question of their supposed rivalry, I think M would have said something along the lines of it just being ‘ribbing’ and waved it off.

I don’t recall David Bowie ignoring M’s existence, I’m sure if B was asked about M, he would have answered. Because Bowie seemed to be kind in interviews, when asked about M leaving the Outside(?) tour.

2:10 in

From TTY, I believe …

"When I made the (2006) record Ringleader of the Tormentors, the producer (Tony Visconti), who is a very close friend of David Bowie, tried to get both Bowie and I together to do our version of You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin', with David doing the deep Bill Medley parts, and me doing the Bobby Hatfield shrieks."

"I loved this idea, but David wouldn't budge. I know I've criticised David in the past, but it's all been snotnosed junior high ribbing on my part. I think he knows that."

I think if M gave a word at the time of Bowie’s death, then after, if someone cornered him with question of their supposed rivalry, I think M would have said something along the lines of it just being ‘ribbing’ and waved it off.

I don’t recall David Bowie ignoring M’s existence, I’m sure if B was asked about M, he would have answered. Bowie seemed to be kind in interviews, when asked about M leaving the Outside(?) tour.

From TTY, I believe …

"When I made the (2006) record Ringleader of the Tormentors, the producer (Tony Visconti), who is a very close friend of David Bowie, tried to get both Bowie and I together to do our version of You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin', with David doing the deep Bill Medley parts, and me doing the Bobby Hatfield shrieks."

"I loved this idea, but David wouldn't budge. I know I've criticised David in the past, but it's all been snotnosed junior high ribbing on my part. I think he knows that."

Same as when he apologised for being pricky to Robert Smith.

Yes, it would!

I suspect the only possible route now (as a lot of people have made up their minds about him and on big parts of Twitter* his name is synonymous with racist/bigot) is simply to put out a run of 3 or 4 amazing albums which can't be ignored because they're too good.

*Yes, I know that Twitter is not the world, and there are plenty of fans left who simply don't care about the politics stuff.

I do not care about the politics stuff. Not one iota.

And I would love two or three Southpaw Grammar-esque albums with some longer tracks, instrumental parts, something edgy again for him.

For his swansong, he doesn't need more albums that sound like collections of single-sounding songs (like Dog on a Chain) that don't always flow together, rather he needs Vauxhall/Southpaw era sonic palettes and atmospheres - with lyrics that are from deep in his heart, with nothing about revenge. He needs Steve Lillywhyte.

Yes it is difficult for me to understand why people post relentless negative criticism of Morrissey on here.
Some are just out to be assholes, but most just want a levelheaded discussion about one of the artists that mean the most to us. That includes criticism just like it includes praise.

@Famous when dead, what would you say is more convoluted?

* The axing of all the French Mixes of WPINOYB songs; WPINOYB singles all released with the same cover art as the album cover (with clone stamp), then releasing the final Kiss Me A Lot single with a unique cover, un-uniform to the rest, with the music video directed by Sam;

* The legacy/saga of all the California Son misinformation and scant access to vinyl singles; and, indeed, certain releases being ignored and incorrectly catalogued (with shitty artwork);

* Or, present-tense? A record completed. "I Am Veronica" meant to be the first single. No sign of it it. No idea when the record is coming out, but one single with actual unique cover art has been released for it.

Can things get any messier? Oh yes! The confusion regarding that slightly tweaked "That's Entertainment" reissue.

f*** me mate.
This was a strong contender just by itself:
FWD.

Yes M did prattle on, and he may have felt bad that they didn’t have a closer relationship. I think if M gave a word at the time of Bowie’s death, then after, if someone cornered him with the question of their supposed rivalry, I think M would have said something along the lines of it just being ‘ribbing’ and waved it off.

I don’t recall David Bowie ignoring M’s existence, I’m sure if B was asked about M, he would have answered. Because Bowie seemed to be kind in interviews, when asked about M leaving the Outside(?) tour.

From TTY, I believe …

He´s not a bitch in the Scottish tv interview - but he´s also pretty scathing in a gentlemanly kind of way - talking about there not being a murmur from the audience when told that Morrissey wouldn´t be appearing, and only 422 disgruntled Morrissey fans wanting their money back. He was clearly counting lol.

Your constant criticism of people's opinions of Morrissey is really wearing thin and seems to be earning you a lot of dislikes. That function is to actually show dislike of a post. You running all over the board, going all the way back to February and other months tonight just to dislike my posts is an abuse of that function, but have at it. If you cannot handle criticism of Morrissey and the stupid things he does, and legitimate dislikes of your posts about posters here and how you do not like their behavior then maybe you need to find a new hobby. I don't care about dislikes but anyone can look at what you are doing and see you have having a tantrum while others are using the dislike in a more measured way. Morrissey dug himself a hole, again. He is complaining about it, again. No one is here to help him, we are here to gossip about him because it's fun. It's pretty simple and I won't be answering any ridiculous reply you offer.

I treat this place like Twitter. Just like I'd make liberal use of the block function there, I make liberal use of the ignore function (thanks FWD for letting me know this function existed). It makes this place much nicer. I don't ignore people I disagree with, just ignore people who are just constantly looking for an argument.

I'd recommend Ket starts using it if all they want to see is uncritical praise of our favourite artist.

I treat this place like Twitter. Just like I'd make liberal use of the block function there, I make liberal use of the ignore function (thanks FWD for letting me know this function existed). It makes this place much nicer. I don't ignore people I disagree with, just ignore people who are just constantly looking for an argument.

I'd recommend Ket starts using it if all they want to see is uncritical praise of our favourite artist.
I'm not sure the forum's database table can handle that many ignored names

And how do think their venting ( which I understand why they do) is going to help M’s career?
I don´t think anyone posts comments on this website because they think it might have any direct impact on Moz´s thinking or ´career´, for good or ill. It´s simply called expresing yourself. And expressing yourself is good. It´s one of the essential human freedoms - and it is very muhc under attack these days. One motivation for some might be a desire to influence the thinking of other fans - to like Morrissey less or to like Morrissey more, and that I suppose might help or hinder his career if enough people changed their mind about him. But I wouldn´t credit the Skinnys of this world with that much power. And the same goes for those of us who post mostly positive comments about Morrissey. It´s ultimately all just scribbling on a toilet wall.

Why bother with radio stations?
They are a thing of the past.
No one listens to them anymore.

The song is great, and doing well, and that is all that matters really.

Not true!

From Google:

“How many listeners does Radio 2 have?

14.46m listeners

BBC Radio 2 has a static-ish 14.46m listeners (down 1%) with 7.37m tuning in for The Zoe Ball Breakfast Show (up from 7.2m).27 Oct 2022”

Morrissey w rozmowie? Co to ma znaczyć?

A jeśli prawdziwi artyści dbają o siebie, dlaczego tak cholernie zależy mu na podpisaniu kontraktu z (główną) wytwórnią płytową i opiece przez nią?
Niech wyda płytę w Polsce.

Thank God only we dedicated fans see this man perform this pathetic routine each album cycle.

It's a shame Boz has left. The next stage is usually a ghostwritten letter to the record label in his name ("Rebels is a gift of a song and should be #1 worldwide!"). Maybe Alain can get roped in for that honour next? ;)

There is no promotion. However, I’m not sure it’s prudent to wage an on the record war against your current label.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom