Morrissey Central “REBELS WITHOUT ASSISTANCE” (December 22, 2022)

"It's been quite sad. The absence of any promotion is noticeable. It's devastating how no one can ever get this right. But they can't, or they won't. Radio stations, as far as I can tell, will play just about anything they're asked to. But as I've always said, true artists must always look after themselves whereas non-artists are encouraged and advanced beyond reason. When you walk through a storm hold your head up high … as the song goes!"

Morrissey in conversation, Los Angeles, December 2022.
Provided by K, C and H.

If it wasn't for streaming I wouldn't have discovered many artists and gone on to buy their music and tickets to their shows. I think it's very important.
But Morrissey albums and singles have been streamed on release, for years now. How to promote them seems to be the issue, which I think Ryan is taking a look at for us at the moment 🙏

Was it an actual falling out? I thought it was just that Morrissey ended his tour with Bowie early, because he didn't like how Bowie asked his band to not end their set properly, and instead just sort of fade into the background while Bowie's band came on stage? At least that's the version given in The Importance of Being Morrissey.
Yes, I think that's what I was referring to - I'm a newbie here, so apologies I only know what I've read here which sounds like what you're describing. The point I was trying to make was that, rightly or wrongly, M had some kind of grievance against Bowie which meant his silence around his death made slightly more sense than his silence around Terry's......

At this stage I think even of Morrissey went on something like GB News/Talk Radio/Piers Morgan and did a full-on 'rivers of blood' style speech, it would be an improvement. Even bad publicity would be better than none, and people would at least know he had a new record coming out.

The problem is not just the promotion.
Morrissey never got much radio play. After all the fuss about Morrissey's political views, some radio stations here in Portugal stopped playing Morrissey's music and some newspapers stopped mentioning his name.
I heard the song only once here on radio stations in Portugal and just to compare it with "Cemetery Gates".
It's a complete disgrace and also a sign of a lot of ignorance from music journalists. I think unfortunately the same thing happens in other countries. It's a 40-year career and a unique artist in the world that most of the press and radio try to ignore but which, in my opinion, is totally unfair.
I think it's completely fair to compare Rebels with Cemetry Gates. Do you really not hear any similarity at all?

This is a discussion board about Morrissey. Here, we discuss and talk about Morrissey. The good and the bad. We do it because he interests us and we do it for a laugh. We don’t do it to try and influence Morrissey (that would be some Chapman-esque level delusion). Why is this so hard to understand?

Yes, I think that's what I was referring to - I'm a newbie here, so apologies I only know what I've read here which sounds like what you're describing. The point I was trying to make was that, rightly or wrongly, M had some kind of grievance against Bowie which meant his silence around his death made slightly more sense than his silence around Terry's......
Don't ever apologise for being a newbie here, my friend.

It seemed that Morrissey never had a kind word to say about Bowie after the tour incident... so I think it's fair to call it a falling out. To move it forward, his use of Bowie's image on recent tours seems to be a show of respect and acknowledgment of Bowie's importance in his life.

Do you know if was ever close with Terry Hall and that's why he should make a statement about this death? I know it can seem rather random which deaths are mentioned and which aren't. Honestly rather than comment on any deaths I'd rather Central just relay useful information about Morrissey... I'd be thrilled to see that.

This is a discussion board about Morrissey. Here, we discuss and talk about Morrissey. The good and the bad. We do it because he interests us and we do it for a laugh. We don’t do it to try and influence Morrissey (that would be some Chapman-esque level delusion). Why is this so hard to understand?
Totally, the idea that it only makes sense to have a critical discussion about Morrissey's actions would be b/c he comes here reads it, and changes - is absurd. I guess the flipside would stand as well. It's pointless to praise Morrissey here b/c he doesn't come here to read it and benefit from that praise.

Yes it is difficult for me to understand why people post relentless negative criticism of Morrissey on here.

Totally, the idea that it only makes sense to have a critical discussion about Morrissey's actions would be b/c he comes here reads it, and changes - is absurd.

I guess the flipside would stand as well. It's pointless to praise Morrissey here b/c he doesn't come here to read it and benefit from that praise.

Agree. But I do believe people benefit from positive discussion rather than negative. There is a positive way to be critical, but whenever that’s attempted, those posters get shutdown and called names, such as sycophants, Mozbots, etc.

Cant he just accept being a cool "indie" artist? instead of being the next Taylor Swift?

"It's me, hi, I'm the problem it's me. At Mo-Solo, everybody agrees."

My take is that by Morrissey not saying anything, would point to the fact how much Bowie actually meant to him. And that Bowie being an influence is obvious and something Morrissey himself never hid.

Also, Morrissey doesn’t always do what most would expect him to do, another example is his silence on the Queen’s death.

Agree. But I do believe people benefit from positive discussion rather than negative. There is a positive way to be critical, but whenever that’s attempted, those posters get shutdown and called names, such as sycophants, Mozbots, etc.
😁Yeah as if "positive" and "critical" go together in some people's view on here. The flipside isn't better, because if someone says something slightly critical he's automatically not a real fan or a hater. But I guess that's something no one will solve unless we respect different opinions.

He is allegedly very difficult to work with from a label perspective at least. I just don't understand how after 4 decades he still can't promote himself more heavily, in this digital era it has become so much easier. He could also maybe invest some of his money to run a promotional campaign. This album has bee, ready for release almost 2 years. This is getting absurd. What is going on?

Like how you called people haters for having opinions you didnt like being expressed openly.

Do you honestly think he's done a good job of looking after himself career wise?. Falling out with the major labels willing to sign him, treating concert customers appallingly.
True artists don't "look after themselves" career wise. They don't tip toe around topics or walk on egg shells to avoid controversy. Be real and accept the consequences is all one can do. A little whinge here and there is perfectly normal. It's all part of not giving a f*** ;)

He is allegedly very difficult to work with from a label perspective at least. I just don't understand how after 4 decades he still can't promote himself more heavily, in this digital era it has become so much easier. He could also maybe invest some of his money to run a promotional campaign. This album has bee, ready for release almost 2 years. This is getting absurd. What is going on?
All "Artists" are difficult to work with. No talent morons are easy to work with.

I do agree with you re promotion though. It'd be a good move to get Sam busy on a kickstarter campaign and sell album packages on low to high tier levels. Digital album all the way up to deluxe cassette, vinyl, CD, T shirt "mate", signed copies, concert tickets and possibly a live handshake or possibly a reach around ;)

Morrissey probably looks down his nose at such a notion, but this radio play chart position BS is for the dogs.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom