Morrissey Central “MORRISSEY 2023” (December 8, 2022)

Studio time is booked for January and February 2023 when Morrissey will record his new album WITHOUT MUSIC THE WORLD DIES. The recording will be the fifth Morrissey album produced by ten Grammy winner Joe Chiccarelli , and the band continues to be Jesse Tobias, Gustavo Manzur, Alain Whyte, Juan Galeano and Brendan Buckley. The 12 songs were written by Morrissey with Alain Whyte, Jesse Tobias, Gustavo Manzur. There is no record label as yet for the project, and ways to attain global distribution are being researched.

Morrissey commented:

"The songs, of course, are magnificent, and even the relentless difficulties we have experienced recently are not enough to kill us off. "

Morrissey's last album release was 'I Am Not A Dog on a Chain' in March 2020, which charted at #1 in both Poland and Scotland, #3 in France and England.

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:
The unfortunate fact remains that Morrissey is too much of a risk for a mainstream record label at the moment, the negative publicity just isn’t worth it for meagre financial returns to them, when self promotion of the album will be virtually non existent. For anyone who may point to his commercial success - IANADOAC reached number 3 in the UK, whilst Cliff Richard’s new album was riding high at number 2 last week.

Self distribution is the only way.

The unfortunate fact remains that Morrissey is too much of a risk for a mainstream record label at the moment, the negative publicity just isn’t worth it for meagre financial returns to them, when self promotion of the album will be virtually non existent. For anyone who may point to his commercial success - IANADOAC reached number 3 in the UK, whilst Cliff Richard’s new album was riding high at number 2 last week.

Self distribution is the only way.

And although Dog went to number 3, the sales figures would have been remarkably low, as are many album sales in this day and age. According to the Official UK Charts, in 2013 and 2014, an artist only needed 60,000 copies to get to UK number 1 for any given week, so in 2020 a number 3 chart position would have been much lower sales than 60,000, plus it was only in the chart for 1 week (Low In High School sold around 25,000 in the first week, peaked at no 5 and was in the charts for 5 weeks).

So it begs the question: why invest in someone like Morrissey, when he sells less than 60,000 copies of an album and when he is beaten by Cliff f***ing Richard of all people, who will have a very niche audience in 2022.

He would likely achieve similar sales just by self releasing, but without the extra mental, physical and financial toll of having to beg a record company to publish his music. Sure, it'd be stressful, but he could take ownership of the entire thing.

In fact, he should just not worry about charts anymore. Only mega artists are selling big numbers of albums and singles, and he'll never, ever be able to compete with them when it comes to gaining the attention of the major labels.

Bonfire tidbits and discussion dried up for now - I want my low expectations to be modestly improved.

Just made my own cover art for the record that will surely surpass Sam's.

Attachments

• IMG_2111.jpg
    IMG_2111.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 0
I do not think I have seen this masterpiece, is it yours, in very stereo? 😂

It was legit one of Sam's proposed reissue covers along with these:

It was legit one of Sam's proposed reissue covers along with these:

It is nothing short of artistic genius that the dots on the font and the dots on the jacket echo each other but do not perfectly match. Like Van Gogh, SER's brilliance may not be understood in his lifetime, but posthumously.

Screenshot 2022-12-21 8.09.48 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-12-21 8.09.02 PM.png

Morrissey should try to come to an agreement with Capitol: give them back the money and have Bonfire back again, so that he could start searching for a new label for both albums... It almost seems he doesn't care anymore.

Morrissey should try to come to an agreement with Capitol: give them back the money and have Bonfire back again, so that he could start searching for a new label for both albums... It almost seems he doesn't care anymore.

Morrissey will never give back the money. See Supreme dispute.

There hasn't been the slightest hint or whisper that any label has shown any interest in releasing 'Without Music the World Dies', so I think we can safely forget about this release now. Probably best if Morrissey starts commissioning music from the new band lineup and starts writing another album. Maybe it will be 3rd time lucky, and the next LP will be the one that will get him a deal?

How do we know he hasn't tried?

Tags
without music the world dies
Back
Top Bottom