Morrissey Central “BONFIRE DOUSED” (February 7, 2023)

full

Morrissey is ‘too diverse’ for Universal Music Group.
Capitol Records (Los Angeles) will not, after all, release Morrissey’s 2021 album ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’. At the same time, Capitol Records (Los Angeles) are holding on to the album.

Although Morrissey officially signed to Capitol Records Los Angeles, there has been no mention of Morrissey on Capitol’s website or on their Artists roster.

Morrissey has said that although he does not believe that Capitol Records in Los Angeles signed ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ in order to sabotage it, he is quickly coming around to that belief.

Related items:

Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great points especially about the possibility of a future wake for the withering of woke mania. I'd be worried that it'll swing the other way and only songs with long-haired womanising alcoholics bashing guitars on cliffs will be released. It's not cock rock. It's just cock. Our Moz, the eternal outsider, won't fit in that world either. Nobody seems to have a taste for taste anymore. Just look at the shambolic artists who continue to dominate the once great Glastonbury. THE CURE is a notable exception.

098b1b6e522b2c00a007282a8c647162.png
You are right - it could go either way. But I have faith in humanity, whether that faith is justified or not. We can only hope that the values of the enlightenment and rationality win out in the end. Without them we really are back in the dark ages. And these crazies are now suggesting that the values of the enlightenment and rationality are themselves derived from white supremacy and colonialism and need to be overthrown. They really are crazy. It's the mindset of Pol Pot and Year Zero all over again.

You kind of have to admire the consistency of an artist who can write:

oh what a mess I've made of my life

And then almost exactly 40 years later, to still be putting that into practice.

But that's just it. Morrissey seems incapable of doing that bare minimum, "behaving as normal as is required." Other artists seem able to reign in their non-conformity right at the line. That Morrissey cannot even perceive where the line is what makes him cool. I'll concede that the behavior itself (publicly biting the hand that feeds, endorsing Paul Joseph Watson, &c) is unbecoming. But it's an intrinsic deficiency in him. It's not a pose like it is with so many others. He'd be more "rock n roll" in his self-destruction if he was arrested for getting his cock out onstage or choking to death on his own vomit. But he's self-destructing in his own strange way, and I guess we shouldn't have expected anything less from him. Plus, I'm optimistic we'll somehow get the music. He'll figure something out. For all his strangeness, he's an artist who wants to be heard (while complaining that the world won't listen).
I think you're right about his hitting the 'career self destruct' button at times. I think there's a part of Morrissey, given his adoration of Oscar Wilde, and whether it's conscious or unconscious, that romanticises ruination and failure. He tried and he failed.
And on this one the stakes are high. He's fighting for the right of the artist to write and sing about what he wants - without anyone else saying 'that's not allowed'. Other pop stars think being 'dangerous' is twerking and showing your ass on stage. Miley is a punk, indeed. Julie Burchill put it very well: Morrissey is a niggly, narcissistic diva – but he is also one of the greatest pop stars ever to have graced Planet Earth with his presence, and that’s all that counts.

I can't help but feel that he is secretly enjoying this. He has f***-off money, he doesn’t really care if this album gets released or not. How many Gucci blazers does one need anyway?

He chooses outsiderdom over “behaving normal as is required”, chooses saying and doing what he wants over schmoozing with people he doesn't like because he can. I would, too.

I can't help but feel that he is secretly enjoying this. He has f***-off money, he doesn’t really care if this album gets released or not. How many Gucci blazers does one need anyway?

He chooses outsiderdom over “behaving normal as is required”, chooses saying and doing what he wants over schmoozing with people he doesn't like because he can. I would, too.
Totally agree. His career has got to end at some point. And why not end on taking a stance on freedom of expression? He maybe has one eye on the history books. When people look back on this period in history, I have no doubt they will view it with the same shame we do the hysteria of the Salem witch trials, or McCarthyism. And Morrissey will be seen for what he is - a brave artist standing alone and speaking out against the madness.

Totally agree. His career has got to end at some point. And why not end on taking a stance on freedom of expression? He maybe has one eye on the history books. When people look back on this period in history, I have no doubt they will view it with the same shame we do the hysteria of the Salem witch trials, or McCarthyism. And Morrissey will be seen for what he is - a brave artist standing alone and speaking out against the madness.
Christ, so much hyperbole.

Morrissey is a musician, a musician who, like most other musicians, wants to release music. Either he releases the music himself, or he releases it through a record company.

For one reason or another, Morrissey has repeatedly fallen out with record companies - there is a pattern. We could laud him as a rebel and martyr, or perhaps he is just a difficult, unpredictable person. However we want to portray and understand him, if he wants to release music through a label, he needs to play the game to some extent; otherwise, he will need to release the music himself.

I, like many people on this forum, would like to hear this album, and whatever other music Morrissey wants to put out into the public sphere. If he can't (or won't) do this through a major label, then, his options are to self-release, or, instead, find an independent label that will do it.

Morrissey is a musician, a musician who, like most other musicians, wants to release music. Either he releases the music himself, or he releases it through a record company.

For one reason or another, Morrissey has repeatedly fallen out with record companies - there is a pattern. We could laud him as a rebel and martyr, or perhaps he is just a difficult, unpredictable person. However we want to portray and understand him, if he wants to release music through a label, he needs to play the game to some extent; otherwise, he will need to release the music himself.

I, like many people on this forum, would like to hear this album, and whatever other music Morrissey wants to put out into the public sphere. If he can't (or won't) do this through a major label, then, his options are to self-release, or, instead, find an independent label that will do it.
I completely agree and most likely the only thing that's come to an end is the people willing to put up with what he does because they have so many other musicians who make much more money on their rosters. I really don't think kids will be reading about the bravery of Morrissey in history books.

the more famous you are then the more free stuff you get,surprised if he pays for much of his clothing,we dont know how much money he has,did he not say in one of sams interviews he cant afford to keep taking people to court.

Yah. I don't know if saying "the wrong thing" is enough to get your records cancelled. Gary Numan said at the very end of a highly entertaining and insighful video with the BBC that he thinks paedophiles should be executed. There are many politically correct people who would vehemently disagree with that. It didn't impact Gary's ability to release records or fill venues like The Royal Albert Hall. In fact only today three fabulous Numan coloured vinyl rereleases arrived for me. Gary is doing great and is working on his next album.

I think there is more to the record label problems than we know or might ever know. Hopefully it'll all blow over and Moz gets to release two new albums later in 2023.

Think all of this only makes sense if there's going to be legal action upstream. Otherwise Capitol would just put the thing out and take whatever money they can. Get your popcorn now.
I would imagine the statement on Central this week is some sort of attempt to 'shame' / put pressure on Capitol to release the masters back to Moz. Whether doing this in public in this way helps or hinders that, remains to be seen. Watch this space indeed.

I love that song so much. A real banger. A perfect storm of Morrissey's prototypical curious candor. Looking at something or someone and imagining what their life might be like, and making it sound at once, completely nonsensical and yet romantic. You are a doll, Steven. Come here and let me hold you.
Yes, I'd go as far as saying it's a good song.
(":fearscream:").(yeah.)
It's not as good as Billie Jean, but that's ok, we never expected the guy to moonwalk.

Speaking of "coming around"...Has Sammy finally persuaded M that the earth is flat? Is he back from his mission to bring back photographs of what Earth really looks like? (= a big pizza pie with tomato sauce dripping at the edge. And a big crust cuz you need them mountains)( to go skiing, like).

-Ah, nephew! You're back. You're late!
-Sorry Unc. I got stuck in mozza.
-Yes. That sometimes happens to Day-Day as well.

(No no, a very happy Valentine's Day to you, Sam!)

All that is true and we all want to hear BOT the album. But you have to come back to one basic fact. After all the controversies of recent years, Moz made a choice. He chose to write that song, about that subject, and, even more provocatively, call the album by that song. He must have known he was going to have an almighty battle on his hands to get BOT released. And maybe a battle that he might lose. Is this an attempt to kill the album off? The song in question relates to events in 2017. The song must have gestated for a while and then was probably written in 2018 or 2019. It was recorded around 2020. The longer the album is delayed, the more irrelevant the song becomes. The more Morrissey just sounds like an old curmudgeon who can't let go of the past. Whereas in fact the song was a fairly immediate, emotional response to recent events. Is that the point of all this? To kill the song, and the album, and the message of the song?
Regardless, I think we can all agree - it is time for him to self release. But Capitol need to give back the album for that to happen. And at least for now they are sitting on it. Re-recording I don't think is something that anyone involved would want to do.

Yah. I don't know if saying "the wrong thing" is enough to get your records cancelled. Gary Numan said at the very end of a highly entertaining and insighful video with the BBC that he thinks paedophiles should be executed. There are many politically correct people who would vehemently disagree with that. It didn't impact Gary's ability to release records or fill venues like The Royal Albert Hall. In fact only today three fabulous Numan coloured vinyl rereleases arrived for me. Gary is doing great and is working on his next album.

I think there is more to the record label problems than we know or might ever know. Hopefully it'll all blow over and Moz gets to release two new albums later in 2023.
Poor Gary was given a terrible time by the music press for years. The NME in particular was totally spiteful in any mention of him. Hope you've been enjoying the vinyls!

When labels sign artists and purchase the legal rights to album(s) they are obviously interested in making the most money possible. Now, the most money possible will be the week M dies. So I expect they might keep it until then to get as much as they can out of it.

When he said on the tour that we might all be in our nineties when BoT is released I think he realised long before then that was a distinct possibility. But, depending on the details, UMG only have the rights for a certain length of time. Unless there is a release clause within the contract.

Personally, I hope, like Aubrey, that it's re-recorded because Watt completely f***ed up RWA, so it would be amazing for someone to produce it that wasn't a complete idiot with a penchant for overloading tracks with bullshit tweaks when they're not needed.

Last edited:
When labels sign artists and purchase the legal rights to album(s) they are obviously interested in making the most money possible. Now, the most money possible will be the week M dies. So I expect they might keep it until then to get as much as they can out of it.

When he said on the tour that we might all be in our nineties when BoT is released I think he realised long before then that was a distinct possibility. But, depending on the details, UMG only have the rights for a certain length of time. Unless there is a release clause within the contract.

Personally, I hope, like Aubrey, that it's re-recorded because Watt completely f***ed up RWA, so it would be amazing for someone to produce it that wasn't a complete idiot with a penchant for overloading tracks with bullshit tweaks when they're not needed.
Agreed with you about RWA should be re-recorded by a different producer like Joe Chiccarelli .

All that is true and we all want to hear BOT the album. But you have to come back to one basic fact. After all the controversies of recent years, Moz made a choice. He chose to write that song, about that subject, and, even more provocatively, call the album by that song. He must have known he was going to have an almighty battle on his hands to get BOT released. And maybe a battle that he might lose. Is this an attempt to kill the album off? The song in question relates to events in 2017. The song must have gestated for a while and then was probably written in 2018 or 2019. It was recorded around 2020. The longer the album is delayed, the more irrelevant the song becomes. The more Morrissey just sounds like an old curmudgeon who can't let go of the past. Whereas in fact the song was a fairly immediate, emotional response to recent events. Is that the point of all this? To kill the song, and the album, and the message of the song?
Regardless, I think we can all agree - it is time for him to self release. But Capitol need to give back the album for that to happen. And at least for now they are sitting on it. Re-recording I don't think is something that anyone involved would want to do.
Really? How many other albums would not exist with that logic? Album covers, titles and song names I can think of much worse.

Beatles Yesterday and Today (Cover)
Scorpions Virgin Killer
Bow Wow Wow, (Cover)
Sex Pistols, the name alone caused a stir. God Save the Queen was banned. (Song)
Almost any Iron Maiden cover/title
Kanye Dark Twisted Fantasy
NWA F*** The Police
How About Puff The Magic Dragon.

The list goes on and on.

Morrissey has no fear nor should he of releasing that album title or song.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom