Morrissey Central “BONFIRE DOUSED” (February 7, 2023)

full

Morrissey is ‘too diverse’ for Universal Music Group.
Capitol Records (Los Angeles) will not, after all, release Morrissey’s 2021 album ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’. At the same time, Capitol Records (Los Angeles) are holding on to the album.

Although Morrissey officially signed to Capitol Records Los Angeles, there has been no mention of Morrissey on Capitol’s website or on their Artists roster.

Morrissey has said that although he does not believe that Capitol Records in Los Angeles signed ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ in order to sabotage it, he is quickly coming around to that belief.

Related items:

Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
You’re missing the point. It’s not as black and white as you make it out to be. It’s not “handle your career like a complete bozo” like Moz or

My point is that you CAN behave like a grownup and STILL produce great music that the people and the label want. You can still have integrity and put out great music. There are plenty of examples, and I have provided a few. Putting out great music without behaving like an autistic buffoon is not synonymous with being a sheepish company man.

But there's something to love and prefer in the autistic buffoon, over the artist with integrity who can nevertheless get out of bed and play the game and shake the right hands and be one of rock's "elder statesmen." A Nick Cave might getting his product out there, but Morrissey squandering his opportunities is somehow cooler—even with the talentless nephew and the Dodwell sycophant making things all the worse. It's the allure of that rara avis: the genuine and damaged eccentric, and not one who puts on airs for the theatrics of it. Don't get me wrong, I would like to hear Bonfire and Without Music, but if two years from now Morrissey is complaining about Reptilians and Jews scheming to prevent him from being heard, he'll be no less fascinating a specimen.

If in need of releasing something, re-release "Istanbul".
It has the distinct advantage (over ITMAAP) of not being a shockingly sh!t song.

('fraid the money raised will still have to be sent abroad instead of being used for your manager's brain operation. )

Without belittling whats happening in Turkey and Syria, it would be deeply ironic if this did happen. A song from an album originally released on the Harvest/Capitol label.

I love that song so much. A real banger. A perfect storm of Morrissey's prototypical curious candor. Looking at something or someone and imagining what their life might be like, and making it sound at once, completely nonsensical and yet romantic. You are a doll, Steven. Come here and let me hold you.

Right on. That whole record is great (including B sides), minus the 1 or 2 tracks you'll skip over. The following record was like that too. We were headed in the right direction (with special thanks to Walker and Gustavo {and Jesse too} for specifically driving that sound forward).

I've been a Morrissey fan since the early 90s, and only discovered The Smiths after already owning V&I, World Of and SG. It's famously said (probably just because of the time gap between albums) that Quarry is his 'comeback album', but honestly I've always felt that title belongs to World Peace.

Right on. That whole record is great (including B sides), minus the 1 or 2 tracks you'll skip over. The following record was like that too. We were headed in the right direction (with special thanks to Walker and Gustavo {and Jesse too} for specifically driving that sound forward).

I've been a Morrissey fan since the early 90s, and only discovered The Smiths after already owning V&I, World Of and SG. It's famously said (probably just because of the time gap between albums) that Quarry is his 'comeback album', but honestly I've always felt that title belongs to World Peace.
Definitely his most diverse album.
Unfortunately Capitol doesn’t like diversity ;)

P.S I’d prefer the OG Bonfire than a re-recorded version. Capitol I’ll buy a copy of that for £100 download only - I’m that desperate!
Didn't Radiohead self release In Rainbows as a 'pay as much as you want' download back in 2007? Moz should do something similar. Your offer of £100 for the download is a very good one.

Didn't Radiohead self release In Rainbows as a 'pay as much as you want' download back in 2007? Moz should do something similar. Your offer of £100 for the download is a very good one.
I think Morrissey's self esteem is too frail to suggest a "pay as much as you want" offer.

In Rainbows was surprisingly really great. I didn't expect much from the record - only because of the 'pay gimmick', but it was super nice to hear on first listen. Many of the songs were written throughout their career, only to be recorded for In Rainbows years later. Even though it's a hodge-podge, it's a lovely album with a few career peaks for them. For example, Jigsaw Falling and Bodysnatchers are awesome Radiohead.

You're right. I'm big on saying he should release these himself in the future, but what you mentioned is a large part of my why I think that way. In today's more sensitive/'inclusive'/non-permanent/and shallow world, Morrissey doesn't stand a chance with large labels if he's going to ridicule them publicly. Labels that sign him, as long as he continues acting like this, are acquiring a decent sized risk - even if only from a mainstream media kind of perspective, not any kind of lapse in artistic ability or quality products. He needs to create a higher standard for himself regarding his conduct in these matters. If you've been blessed with the ability to heal people's souls, speak/write in ways that flow like deep, undying rivers, and you're able to see truths in the world that many 'regular' people miss - it's time to fully act the part again (noble, respectful), and it's never (ever) too late to change. And hey, who needs a big label anyway, really? The Smart Man just needs to do the Smart Thing and act a little nicer. It really does take guts to be gentle and kind.

Everybody loses in that kind of situation too, because a label having a good Morrissey band would benefit from the decision...people still come to see him, and you're guaranteed a certain number of album/song sales just from die-hards (but we also don't need to release oddly placed or subpar albums with no teeth). We would benefit, because it seems - even in his oldER age - the guy is a prolific writer and loves to record. The last several albums all came within the last decade, so we're bound to get a few more before he hangs it up. And if he can sing this good (fantastic) now, he's probably got up to 10 more great performing years left.
Epic post. You nailed it.

Epic post. You nailed it.

Hey, I love the guy. The only thing that disappoints me about him is the lack of maturity he shows when dealing w/this type of situation. Other than that, the man has always impressed me (even though I don't love every single track that's released).

Billy Duffy (guitarist from The Cult {and the Nosebleeds}) - in some Smiths documentary - mentioned how Manchester was an intimidating place to grow up. He said that Morrissey always managed to 'rise above' all of the intimidation. When I learn something like that about Morrissey, it doesn't surprise me.. He's been very influential in my life, and I just want him to keep thriving.

Thanks, Acton.

It wouldn't be the first time people have tried to end his career. Some have been trying since 1992.
But this is definitely a significant crisis point for Morrissey. He now either leaves his comfort zone and goes down the self release route - or he faces the possibility of not being able to release another studio album via the 'traditional' route. We all recognise though that he's as stubborn as a mule and he may never be able to hold his nose and go down the self release route. More's the pity.
There is one other possibility. That wokeism may have reached its high water mark and the tide may be turning. People are beginning to wake up (ironically) from the craziness of woke. The madness of gender ideology is apparent when a rapist is moved to a women's prison. The bizarre unreality of 'decolonising the curriculum' and blaming white people for all the evils of the world is plain for all to see when black police officers are seen beating an innocent black man to death. It feels like common sense may be making a come back. People are hungry for debate and diversity of opinion - not 'conform, or be cancelled'. This could be Morrissey's moment. One can but hope.
Great points especially about the possibility of a future wake for the withering of woke mania. I'd be worried that it'll swing the other way and only songs with long-haired womanising alcoholics bashing guitars on cliffs will be released. It's not cock rock. It's just cock. Our Moz, the eternal outsider, won't fit in that world either. Nobody seems to have a taste for taste anymore. Just look at the shambolic artists who continue to dominate the once great Glastonbury. THE CURE is a notable exception.

098b1b6e522b2c00a007282a8c647162.png

Last edited:
But there's something to love and prefer in the autistic buffoon, over the artist with integrity who can nevertheless get out of bed and play the game and shake the right hands and be one of rock's "elder statesmen." A Nick Cave might getting his product out there, but Morrissey squandering his opportunities is somehow cooler—even with the talentless nephew and the Dodwell sycophant making things all the worse. It's the allure of that rara avis: the genuine and damaged eccentric, and not one who puts on airs for the theatrics of it. Don't get me wrong, I would like to hear Bonfire and Without Music, but if two years from now Morrissey is complaining about Reptilians and Jews scheming to prevent him from being heard, he'll be no less fascinating a specimen.
I’m not sure I agree. It’s getting harder and harder for me to take him seriously and…I dunno…respect him, almost. It’s just getting to be too much. This behavior is beneath him. Or it should be, rather. I find nothing ‘cool’ about it at all. Just as I don’t agree that Nick Cave or Scott Walker put on airs or play(ed) any sort of game. They behave(d) as normal as is (was) required of them in order to get their art out into the world and then let the music speak for itself. People, both the public and critics, love them for it, and they will go down in history as non-conformists who still managed to have successful careers.

Not much "cool" about Morrissey recently, I'm afraid.

I’m not sure I agree. It’s getting harder and harder for me to take him seriously and…I dunno…respect him, almost. It’s just getting to be too much. This behavior is beneath him. Or it should be, rather. I find nothing ‘cool’ about it at all. Just as I don’t agree that Nick Cave or Scott Walker put on airs or play(ed) any sort of game. They behave(d) as normal as is (was) required of them in order to get their art out into the world and then let the music speak for itself. People, both the public and critics, love them for it, and they will go down in history as non-conformists who still managed to have successful careers.

But that's just it. Morrissey seems incapable of doing that bare minimum, "behaving as normal as is required." Other artists seem able to reign in their non-conformity right at the line. That Morrissey cannot even perceive where the line is what makes him cool. I'll concede that the behavior itself (publicly biting the hand that feeds, endorsing Paul Joseph Watson, &c) is unbecoming. But it's an intrinsic deficiency in him. It's not a pose like it is with so many others. He'd be more "rock n roll" in his self-destruction if he was arrested for getting his cock out onstage or choking to death on his own vomit. But he's self-destructing in his own strange way, and I guess we shouldn't have expected anything less from him. Plus, I'm optimistic we'll somehow get the music. He'll figure something out. For all his strangeness, he's an artist who wants to be heard (while complaining that the world won't listen).

But that's just it. Morrissey seems incapable of doing that bare minimum, "behaving as normal as is required." Other artists seem able to reign in their non-conformity right at the line. That Morrissey cannot even perceive where the line is what makes him cool. I'll concede that the behavior itself (publicly biting the hand that feeds, endorsing Paul Joseph Watson, &c) is unbecoming. But it's an intrinsic deficiency in him. It's not a pose like it is with so many others. He'd be more "rock n roll" in his self-destruction if he was arrested for getting his cock out onstage or choking to death on his own vomit. But he's self-destructing in his own strange way, and I guess we shouldn't have expected anything less from him. Plus, I'm optimistic we'll somehow get the music. He'll figure something out. For all his strangeness, he's an artist who wants to be heard (while complaining that the world won't listen).
As (almost) always, I respect your opinion, even if I might not share all of them.

Both of you are right. If Morrissey wasn't 'who he is', he wouldn't give us as great of music as he has. Any great artist, of any medium, has a source to their 'power'. For example, most of he best comedians (who make you happy) are the most personally tortured themselves. People that go 'against the grain' have been the ones that gain notoriety as 'making history'. Most of them could be viewed as strange or eccentric by 'average' people who don't have the same gifts, talents, drive, or passions.

In the only recent times where he's been attacking record labels, he's released some pretty great music - so all the 'controversies' aren't exactly affecting the quality of what he's releasing (just if he can release them at all). You would agree that his behavior here regarding labels is self-defeating if his goal is to acquire a good album deal w/all the bells and whistles that they give you in 2023, which is probably peanuts anyway compared to the '90s. He needs to at least change his 'public opinion' about them if he wants to get along with them. He just basically needs to be quiet about this kind of stuff, and keep his focus on performing and recording good music - and he WILL find success (because he's great at his MUSICAL job - not his PR 'job').

Everybody will agree though that an immensely quality product will help bridge these 'broken' connections again. I'm looking forward to it.

You've never worked for an a-hole boss just to get a paycheck?...not to mention, his band has completely turned over. Come on Gordo, you can do better.
most bosses are arseholes and power mad,it comes with the job,im a boss but one thing i believe in is fairness,and having a laugh.

Neither is Mando or Boz, who were both on that list. I was thinking he was putting together some kind of 'all-time cool list', and noticed that there was no drummer.

And it's terrible that he's no longer in the band. Freaking awful. No offense to the new guy who can play fine. Of course time will tell how long he stays, and how he evolves. I'd known of Matt Walker for at least 10 years before he joined the Morrissey band, and knew right away - when I heard he had signed-up - that the music would become better immediately, and it did.

Yes, his departure still bothers me. :(
we dont know if this line-up is long term.

most bosses are arseholes and power mad,it comes with the job,im a boss but one thing i believe in is fairness,and having a laugh.
Brent?

I suspect they simply couldn’t give a flying f*** about his album, and whatever wrinkle emerged - Miley Cyrus-related or otherwise - has evidently quelled whatever appetite they did have for it. It’s really not a big deal for them in the general scheme of things.

They are Abba’s label and from the Voyage multimedia live thing alone are absolutely raking in money every single day.

They’re Paul McCartney’s label, and he’s about to do what are mooted to be his final ever live shows, which will be almost offensively hot tickets.

If anyone thinks item 1 on any meeting agenda for them is what’s happening with this Morrissey album, you might want to acquaint yourselves with Capitol’s roster, and the comparative sales some of their artists manage in relation to your curmudgeonly old buddy. It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if staff there have trawled the threads here and pissed themselves laughing.

Morrissey isn't alone in feeling resistance at the moment: Roger Waters being another.

Capitol Records, a subsidiary of Universal Music, is a corporation with a century-long operation to keep going, and with investing shareholders to satisfy - https://investors.universalmusic.com/info So presumably it has indeed to take into account numerous factors beyond the artists and art, such as socio-cultural trends and fashions. Presumably the fact Morrissey signed with Capitol has been beneficial in itself. Capitol now has a product that they can be confident will be in demand, if for now being nervous about some heat and friction arising from a couple of associations. Is it possible that Morrissey requested Rebels to be released before Christmas to appease fans, and that Capitol agreed, but reluctantly, and with little fanfare, perhaps planning to organise a proper regular release of album and singles once unresolved issues have been ironed out, in a year or two?

Pedigree isn't in dispute. Morrissey is the Mozfather, pioneer of indie music, his reputation to this point safe with that wealth of musical creation behind him. Accounts of how he's re-orientated listeners' interior lives in positive directions are myriad. He should enjoy leeway in how he wants things done, though finding someone skilled, attuned and able to dedicate themselves more to the management/admin/PR side of things might make life easier, especially after recording. External factors are another matter e.g. how public discourse tolerance is changing, and what values are behind control of same, remain variables hard to discern and predict. The bogus music mogul must stay in the picture for a while more anyway.

Think all of this only makes sense if there's going to be legal action upstream. Otherwise Capitol would just put the thing out and take whatever money they can. Get your popcorn now.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom