Morrissey Central “BONFIRE DOUSED” (February 7, 2023)

full

Morrissey is ‘too diverse’ for Universal Music Group.
Capitol Records (Los Angeles) will not, after all, release Morrissey’s 2021 album ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’. At the same time, Capitol Records (Los Angeles) are holding on to the album.

Although Morrissey officially signed to Capitol Records Los Angeles, there has been no mention of Morrissey on Capitol’s website or on their Artists roster.

Morrissey has said that although he does not believe that Capitol Records in Los Angeles signed ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ in order to sabotage it, he is quickly coming around to that belief.

Related items:

Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
The original statement from Morrissey was that Capitol had signed a licensing deal for the album worldwide EXCEPT for the UK. If this is true then even if Capitol decide to sit on the album forever and never release it, there is nothing to stop Morrissey licensing the album to another UK label, or releasing it in the UK himself.
This was discussed earlier in the thread. What do you think are the chances of a label in the UK releasing an album whose title track suggests that people in Britain weren't angry enough following an Islamist terror attack in Manchester? Tide turning or not, that is a subject too far for any UK record label. For BOT the choice is self release - or no release.
It is possible he might find a label to release WMTWD once it's in the can, as long as there is nothing on there too controversial. But, as others have pointed out, this public laundry washing is not going to endear him to any future record label.

We? Are you one of them?

So you just assume that Morrissey isn’t the only one making a f***ing fool of himself the way he does? You don’t have any concrete examples?
Yes I am an artist.
You actually need examples to prove that artists don't all fall into line into neat little manageable packages so they can be easily managed by the money? Which rock have you been living under? FFS.

have to laugh at the negativity on here,ohh hes such a bad person,hes almost satan himself and yet his band members have been with him for years,you had bozz,jesse,gustavo,mando and alain,if you work for a terrible boss you leave his company,total over reaction.
nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors,we dont know the finer details of capitol and we probably wont until its all done and dusted.
You're wasting your breath. These people are as painful as record company executives. If only Morrissey weren't Morrissey. Things would be so much easier.

It wouldn't be the first time people have tried to end his career. Some have been trying since 1992.
But this is definitely a significant crisis point for Morrissey. He now either leaves his comfort zone and goes down the self release route - or he faces the possibility of not being able to release another studio album via the 'traditional' route. We all recognise though that he's as stubborn as a mule and he may never be able to hold his nose and go down the self release route. More's the pity.
There is one other possibility. That wokeism may have reached its high water mark and the tide may be turning. People are beginning to wake up (ironically) from the craziness of woke. The madness of gender ideology is apparent when a rapist is moved to a women's prison. The bizarre unreality of 'decolonising the curriculum' and blaming white people for all the evils of the world is plain for all to see when black police officers are seen beating an innocent black man to death. It feels like common sense may be making a come back. People are hungry for debate and diversity of opinion - not 'conform, or be cancelled'. This could be Morrissey's moment. One can but hope.
The drones on here that want to see him fail can almost smell it. It's intoxicating. I don't get it. But then I'm not obsessed with judging people I don't know and the situations they find themselves in. This group here are like a bunch of nuns with rulers at the ready. Is it a bunch of nuns or a flock of nuns? I forget ;)

Last edited:
Why are they talentless twats, they are employed to make money for their company.
thats the point,theyr bean counters who wouldnt know art if it was in front of their faces.

Yes I am an artist.
You actually need examples to prove that artists don't all fall into line into neat little manageable packages so they can be easily managed by the money? Which rock have you been living under? FFS.
You’re missing the point. It’s not as black and white as you make it out to be. It’s not “handle your career like a complete bozo” like Moz or
fall into line into neat little manageable packages so they can be easily managed by the money
My point is that you CAN behave like a grownup and STILL produce great music that the people and the label want. You can still have integrity and put out great music. There are plenty of examples, and I have provided a few. Putting out great music without behaving like an autistic buffoon is not synonymous with being a sheepish company man. It’s alright to think that when you’re 15 and have just discovered punk rock, but come on.

Also, I would love to hear your music. I bet it’s fantastic.

thats the point,theyr bean counters who wouldnt know art if it was in front of their faces.

Record companies are there to make money, they make that money from people who buy music, so they sign artists who they think will sell a decent amount of music and therefore make them money.

Last edited:
Record companies are there to make money, they make that money from people who buy music, so they sign artists who they think will sell a decent amount of music and therefore make them money.
Moz's concerts have been rammed of late. And with lots of young new fans. I have no doubt at all that the dates in Europe will be rammed too. As Donald Sutherland's character says in JFK: fundamentally people are suckers for the truth.

Moz's concerts have been rammed of late. And with lots of young new fans. I have no doubt at all that the dates in Europe will be rammed too. As Donald Sutherland's character says in JFK: fundamentally people are suckers for the truth.

Yes I went to the Manchester Apollo one last year, which was fab, however the venues are getting smaller (which I prefer) and good attendance at gigs doesn't seem to translate into music sales.

have to laugh at the negativity on here,ohh hes such a bad person,hes almost satan himself and yet his band members have been with him for years,you had bozz,jesse,gustavo,mando and alain,if you work for a terrible boss you leave his company,total over reaction.
nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors,we dont know the finer details of capitol and we probably wont until its all done and dusted.
You've never worked for an a-hole boss just to get a paycheck?...not to mention, his band has completely turned over. Come on Gordo, you can do better.

Add Matt Walker to that list, and you're on-the-money! The Morrissey band's longest tenured drummer/percussionist for one, and he's freaking amazing.

Well, at least SER clarified that he hasn't managed to get Morrissey to believe his conspiracy theory yet - though he's going to keep trying. 🙄

And I'm sure it will be fine.
I mean, it's not as if he was an old delusional paranoid diva out of touch with reality surrounded by psychoelephants, or anything like that, is it.

N.B: calling anyone "Princess Fiona" and himself "Shrekissey" shouldn't be seen as a sign of him losing an already feeble grip, or anything.
Just wanted to clear any doubt.

Last edited:
Too diverse haha! For God f***ing grace. He is Morrissey !! One of the last living icons of the 80s alternative- rock -punk whatever you call the music . The label records should be in line to signed him up . Just because he is a Hugeeee Icon. And one of the true pioneer s Great Music , you ash...........s. Regardless of sold records. And if they like him or not. Who is to like in this world?. ....

Yes I am an artist.

Ahhhhh, day jobs. If I was even remotely independently wealthy, and was able to devote days/weeks/months in a row to projects, I'd be fulfilling other aspirations which have been neglected for 10 years.

The freedom to think and to feel makes great artists.

Last edited:
And he's freaking no longer in the band.
Neither is Mando or Boz, who were both on that list. I was thinking he was putting together some kind of 'all-time cool list', and noticed that there was no drummer.

And it's terrible that he's no longer in the band. Freaking awful. No offense to the new guy who can play fine. Of course time will tell how long he stays, and how he evolves. I'd known of Matt Walker for at least 10 years before he joined the Morrissey band, and knew right away - when I heard he had signed-up - that the music would become better immediately, and it did.

Yes, his departure still bothers me. :(

Last edited:
If in need of releasing something, re-release "Istanbul".
It has the distinct advantage (over ITMAAP) of not being a shockingly sh!t song.

('fraid the money raised will still have to be sent abroad instead of being used for your manager's brain operation. )

If in need of releasing something, re-release "Istanbul".
It has the distinct advantage (over ITMAAP) of not being a shockingly sh!t song.

('fraid the money raised will still have to be sent abroad instead of being used for your manager's brain operation.)
I love that song so much. A real banger. A perfect storm of Morrissey's prototypical curious candor. Looking at something or someone and imagining what their life might be like, and making it sound at once, completely nonsensical and yet romantic. You are a doll, Steven. Come here and let me hold you.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers
Back
Top Bottom