Morrissey Central “BONFIRE DOUSED” (February 7, 2023)

full

Morrissey is ‘too diverse’ for Universal Music Group.
Capitol Records (Los Angeles) will not, after all, release Morrissey’s 2021 album ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’. At the same time, Capitol Records (Los Angeles) are holding on to the album.

Although Morrissey officially signed to Capitol Records Los Angeles, there has been no mention of Morrissey on Capitol’s website or on their Artists roster.

Morrissey has said that although he does not believe that Capitol Records in Los Angeles signed ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ in order to sabotage it, he is quickly coming around to that belief.

Related items:

Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
full

Morrissey is ‘too diverse’ for Universal Music Group.
Capitol Records (Los Angeles) will not, after all, release Morrissey’s 2021 album ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’. At the same time, Capitol Records (Los Angeles) are holding on to the album.

Although Morrissey officially signed to Capitol Records Los Angeles, there has been no mention of Morrissey on Capitol’s website or on their Artists roster.

Morrissey has said that although he does not believe that Capitol Records in Los Angeles signed ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ in order to sabotage it, he is quickly coming around to that belief.

Media item:
Ugh. I'm so tired of the drama.

The original statement from Morrissey was that Capitol had signed a licensing deal for the album worldwide EXCEPT for the UK. If this is true then even if Capitol decide to sit on the album forever and never release it, there is nothing to stop Morrissey licensing the album to another UK label, or releasing it in the UK himself.

The original statement from Morrissey was that Capitol had signed a licensing deal for the album worldwide EXCEPT for the UK. If this is true then even if Capitol decide to sit on the album forever and never release it, there is nothing to stop Morrissey licensing the album to another UK label, or releasing it in the UK himself.
Very, very good point, and a great face saving loophole for Moz. But methinks he would rather luxuriate in his victimhood.

Tired of all the drama. With BOT stuck in the vaults of Capitol (Los Angelos), it becomes more likely that we will get WMTWD first. And because that album will feature new compositions from Alain, this album will probably appeal more to the core of fans that chose to stick around this long. I hope we can hear songs from that album soon, and see it released later this year or early next year when he will turn 65.

And if Morrissey needs inspiration on how to release the new album or how to salvage BOT, he can read the pages here instead of digging himself ever deeper into a rabbit hole of conspiracy theories.

wouldnt fancy being in the trenches with 95 per cent of the people on here,talk about leaving the sinking ship.

Would any record company touch Moz after the F Harvest tshirts and all the complaints about how useless every record company is, especially this latest allegation that they are deliberately out to stop him? All the crap with record companies needs yo be solved in private.

You're right. I'm big on saying he should release these himself in the future, but what you mentioned is a large part of why I think that way. In today's more sensitive/'inclusive'/non-permanent/and shallow world, Morrissey doesn't stand a chance with large labels if he's going to ridicule them publicly. Labels that sign him, as long as he continues acting like this, are acquiring a decent sized risk - even if only from a mainstream media kind of perspective, not any kind of lapse in artistic ability or quality products. He needs to create a higher standard for himself regarding his conduct in these matters. If you've been blessed with the ability to heal people's souls, speak/write in ways that flow like deep, undying rivers, and you're able to see truths in the world that many 'regular' people miss - it's time to fully act the part again (noble, respectful), and it's never (ever) too late to change. And hey, who needs a big label anyway, really? The Smart Man just needs to do the Smart Thing and act a little nicer. It really does take guts to be gentle and kind.

Everybody loses in that kind of situation too, because a label having a good Morrissey band would benefit from the decision...people still come to see him, and you're guaranteed a certain number of album/song sales just from die-hards (but we also don't need to release oddly placed or subpar albums with no teeth). We would benefit, because it seems - even in his oldER age - the guy is a prolific writer and loves to record. The last several albums all came within the last decade, so we're bound to get a few more before he hangs it up. And if he can sing this good (fantastic) now, he's probably got up to 10 more great performing years left.

Last edited:
You're right. I'm big on saying he should release these himself in the future, but what you mentioned is a large part of my why I think that way. In today's more sensitive/'inclusive'/non-permanent/and shallow world, Morrissey doesn't stand a chance with large labels if he's going to ridicule them publicly. Labels that sign him, as long as he continues acting like this, are acquiring a decent sized risk - even if only from a mainstream media kind of perspective, not any kind of lapse in artistic ability or quality products. He needs to create a higher standard for himself regarding his conduct in these matters. If you've been blessed with the ability to heal people's souls, speak/write in ways that flow like deep, undying rivers, and you're able to see truths in the world that many 'regular' people miss - it's time to fully act the part again (noble, respectful), and it's never (ever) too late to change. And hey, who needs a big label anyway, really? The Smart Man just needs to do the Smart Thing and act a little nicer. It really does take guts to be gentle and kind.

Everybody loses in that kind of situation too, because a label having a good Morrissey band would benefit from the decision...people still come to see him, and you're guaranteed a certain number of album/song sales just from die-hards (but we also don't need to release oddly placed or subpar albums with no teeth). We would benefit, because it seems - even in his old age - the guy is a prolific writer and loves to record. The last several albums all came within the last decade, so we're bound to get a few more before he hangs it up. And if he can sing this good (fantastic) now, he's probably got up to 10 more great performing years left.

he's not old. i mean, he's not young but he's not old.

They're a welcome touch. They aren't his tunes, but I think Manzur's presence in the band is where we get the Spanish strumming on When Last I Spoke to Carol, and the beautiful mariachi coda to Staircase at the University. I'm right with @Juan Dulces in wishing Morrissey would make a 70s California record: a pastoral setting for the voice rich in age. What Kind of People and Saint in a Stained Glass Window suggest it would be brilliant. The basic territory of Jackson Browne's For Everyman, but flecked with some Mexican tinges. Morrissey, Whyte, and Manzur in Laurel Canyon c. 1974. Get David Lindley in the studio.

Just wanted to add, I love your descriptions here. You absolutely nailed what I was thinking about the sound of the 70s album! I've re-listened to all of those tracks today, and am totally into the idea. Morrissey could totally pull off that kind of record!

The music has gotten better in many ways since Gustavo joined. He's quite talented, and seems like he's a 'company man', really committed to the cause. I'm grateful that the Morrissey band has the current lineup it has, with 3 talented songwriters. Now they just need to fuse their ideas together, giving the band a 'new sound/new direction' - and just move forward, slowly into a long-lasting sunset. I will be listening.

If someone would just leak it...... then Capitol would probably rush out a digital download to capture whatever revenue they can of streaming/sales. Lots of people have it on their phones right now.... Andrew, Josh, chad, Moz's band... I'm sure many more...

Does anybody sane really think that Capitol bought BoT to sabotage it? I'm 100 % certain that a civilized negotiation between adults would result in Morrissey buying the album back or Capitol putting it out some way. Surely they want to get some of the money back they invested in the album? Or just wash their hands from the whole debacle by giving Morrissey the chance to pay the advance back and regain the album? Is M willing to pay to get the album back? Does Morrissey even have any contact with the label? Putting out missives like this is helping no-one.

Last edited:
You are aware there are many artists you'll never hear about right? We aren't all famous.
We? Are you one of them?

So you just assume that Morrissey isn’t the only one making a f***ing fool of himself the way he does? You don’t have any concrete examples?

have to laugh at the negativity on here,ohh hes such a bad person,hes almost satan himself and yet his band members have been with him for years,you had bozz,jesse,gustavo,mando and alain,if you work for a terrible boss you leave his company,total over reaction.
nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors,we dont know the finer details of capitol and we probably wont until its all done and dusted.

have to laugh at the negativity on here,ohh hes such a bad person,hes almost satan himself and yet his band members have been with him for years,you had bozz,jesse,gustavo,mando and alain,if you work for a terrible boss you leave his company,total over reaction.
nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors,we dont know the finer details of capitol and we probably wont until its all done and dusted.
Gordy, no one is saying he is ALMOST Satan, they are saying he IS Satan.
Anyway, don't you think his tantrums are exhausting and he should just get it back and self release?

Gordy, no one is saying he is ALMOST Satan, they are saying he IS Satan.
Anyway, don't you think his tantrums are exhausting and he should just get it back and self release?
yip,said loads of times self release is the way to go,you are dealing with talentless twats sitting in the record company big chair.

Last edited:
Does anybody sane really think that Capitol bought BoT to sabotage it? I'm 100 % certain that a civilized negotiation between adults would result in Morrissey buying the album back or Capitol putting it out some way. Surely they want to get some of the money back they invested in the album? Or just wash their hands from the whole debacle by giving Morrissey the chance to pay the advance back and regain the album? Is M willing to pay to get the album back? Does Morrissey even have any contact with the label? Putting out missives like this is helping no-one.
It wouldn't be the first time people have tried to end his career. Some have been trying since 1992.
But this is definitely a significant crisis point for Morrissey. He now either leaves his comfort zone and goes down the self release route - or he faces the possibility of not being able to release another studio album via the 'traditional' route. We all recognise though that he's as stubborn as a mule and he may never be able to hold his nose and go down the self release route. More's the pity.
There is one other possibility. That wokeism may have reached its high water mark and the tide may be turning. People are beginning to wake up (ironically) from the craziness of woke. The madness of gender ideology is apparent when a rapist is moved to a women's prison. The bizarre unreality of 'decolonising the curriculum' and blaming white people for all the evils of the world is plain for all to see when black police officers are seen beating an innocent black man to death. It feels like common sense may be making a come back. People are hungry for debate and diversity of opinion - not 'conform, or be cancelled'. This could be Morrissey's moment. One can but hope.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom