Morrissey Central “BONFIRE DOUSED” (February 7, 2023)

full

Morrissey is ‘too diverse’ for Universal Music Group.
Capitol Records (Los Angeles) will not, after all, release Morrissey’s 2021 album ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’. At the same time, Capitol Records (Los Angeles) are holding on to the album.

Although Morrissey officially signed to Capitol Records Los Angeles, there has been no mention of Morrissey on Capitol’s website or on their Artists roster.

Morrissey has said that although he does not believe that Capitol Records in Los Angeles signed ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ in order to sabotage it, he is quickly coming around to that belief.

Related items:

Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, there are some similarities there I think.
Both on the verge of huge mainstream success at some point, and both refused to grab it.

But just as well in the end, I suppose. They both have really strong discographies that I go back to often.

On the last Stone Roses tour in 2017 they played Wembley Stadium and Hampden Park, in 2016 they played 3 nights at the Etihad Stadium, they were absolutely massive in the UK.

Everyone who is suggesting that Moz just re-record the songs….. you do realize that this is the artist who 1) shows up late 2) doesn’t show up 3) and when it‘s # 1, drops maybe 3 takes and runs out the door…. right?

This actually works for him I think, and for us, but c’mon folks.

On the last Stone Roses tour in 2017 they played Wembley Stadium and Hampden Park, in 2016 they played 3 nights at the Etihad Stadium, they were absolutely massive in the UK.
True, saw them on that tour.
But wish they had continued to make music in the early 90s instead of fighting the record company.

Maybe this is revenge for WPINOYB and they are just being difficult as payback. Seems illogical and bad for business, you never know these days. Harvest was part of Capitol, these friends in the business stick together.
Well, I expect there’s a link. But I don’t think mischief is beyond Morrissey.

I’d suggest this is a post to prompt the label and that there’s probably no hard evidence that the record has been shelved. I would also offer that release details are slightly imminent. He did similar with ‘Autobiography’ when there was a ‘content dispute’ and things started moving pretty quick in terms of a release.

Your move, Captiol!

First album was super succesful, then they tried to leave the record company, Silvertone, but couldn’t.
Essentially killed their career, although the second album, released 6 years on, was actually not all that bad.
For some insight into what actually affected their career, listen to the lyrics of Fools Gold: The band had fatally fractured before the One Love single was released.

And whilst Ian Brown is often singled out as being problematic, any interview with Chris Helm usually shares something about the impossibility of pleasing—and even singing alongside—John Squire.

True, saw them on that tour.
But wish they had continued to make music in the early 90s instead of fighting the record company.

Funny story. My wife used to teach Mani’s kids (when they were in primary school) and she pointed him out to me one day and said, that guy over there always looks looks like he’s been sleeping rough but sends both his kids to our school (it’s a private school) so I showed her a picture of him on stage at Wembley Stadium. She said he’s really pleasant and turns up regularly for a parents group where they take turns to read books for the kids.

Funny story. My wife used to teach Mani’s kids (when they were in primary school) and she pointed him out to me one day and said, that guy over there always looks looks like he’s been sleeping rough but sends both his kids to our school (it’s a private school) so I showed her a picture of him on stage at Wembley Stadium. She said he’s really pleasant and turns up regularly for a parents group where they take turns to read books for the kids.
:ROFLMAO: Did he wear a hat whilst reading too?

40th anniversary around the corner, maybe the Troy Tate sessions will finally get released with a live album and remaster of the eponymous album. Wishful thinking.
Warners are rumoured to be doing something later in the year - probably nothing too 'rare' though.
Warners have also just re-stocked Louder Than Bombs vinyl for buying-in at local record shops too - no sign of any other activity, but who knows?
Regards,
FWD.

This is too bad. After hearing songs from BOT live, I was really looking forward to the release of this album. Of the songs I`ve already heard I felt that they are really excellent songs and it`s a shame the album won`t be released anytime soon.
After hearing the horrific treatment of Rebels, quite honestly, I lost all interest. It may be a blessing in disguise that it doesn't get released.

Agreed .. The 32 years old producer ( Watt ) added autotune to his voice , I dunno why ? BTW I prefer this live version

Personally, I was only disappointed he didn’t go full Cher. In for a penny, and so on. As it is, it feels a little restrained.

Would any record company touch Moz after the F Harvest tshirts and all the complaints about how useless every record company is, especially this latest allegation that they are deliberately out to stop him? All the crap with record companies needs yo be solved in private.

First album was super succesful, then they tried to leave the record company, Silvertone, but couldn’t.
Essentially killed their career, although the second album, released 6 years on, was actually not all that bad.
It was that bad

Flipping record companies with their offices on Wardour Street and their fat managers blowing cigar smoke all over the place. Bastards.

I was only saying to Sullivan the other day, as he emerged from one of the listening booths at the local record shop (not sure why the delightfully twinky little counter boy needed to be in there with him) 'Sullivan' I said, 'these flipping record companies will ruin music what with their cheap vinyl and their scratchy paper inner-sleeves. Bastards'.

We then minced in a forthright yet stylish way RIGHT UP Portland Street and waited in the queue outside Piccadilly Records for six hours to purchase two tickets (£1.10d !) for a Hurricane Smith concert at the Lower Free Trade Hall. £1.10d to see a true artist yet one that hardly anyone has heard of! Record companies: bastards!

We then spent a happy two hours upstairs in the UCP cafe on Market Street reading Melody Maker and checking out chart positions in the throbbing 40. Hurricane Smith has failed to get to number one ! Let down by EMI - again. Record company bastards!

ANYWAY - we made our way home and listened to the chart show on Radio Luxembourg whilst arguing about how best to fit a new needle into the radiogram. Three and thruppance for a new needle - record company bastards!

Don't get us going about record companies. If only there were some way to offer music to an audience without them. If only . . . .

Would any record company touch Moz after the F Harvest tshirts and all the complaints about how useless every record company is, especially this latest allegation that they are deliberately out to stop him? All the crap with record companies needs yo be solved in private.
EMI, Polydor, Island, Harvest, Mercury, Capitol. They are all subsidiaries of Universal Music Group.

There is surely more to these shenanigans than anyone is willing to admit.

I only like specific periods of Morrissey's career, like Smiths and early solo, but there's something for everyone here. Alain is truly one of his best collaborators so I look forward to seeing what they do next.

Thank you for sharing that. Even though I am more accepting of his newer material as long as it's good, like you - in my heart, my favorite 'Morrissey-era' lies in the past as well. 'Hey...name one great Morrissey song...' - chances are I'd pull quickly from the back catalogue (though I could definitely say 'Girl From Tel Aviv' also).

For me, there's usually many tracks that I enjoy on each album, throughout his whole solo discography. Some albums are more complete-sounding to me, and give me a few more tracks that I really like than others. Also, I really love Morrissey's evolution as a singer, because how he sounds now is really nuanced, very emotive and distinct. I hope you didn't miss the crafting/shifting of his singing voice over the years. E.g. I hope you've watched some of his recent concerts/shows on Youtube and caught him playing some of your old favorites, and noticed how much better his voice sounds. :) I would think that you definitely have, but I'm just checking!

I think Alain is his best collaborator (though he's written a good song with them all), and I think we may get something special from the album being recorded now.

Last edited:
You think Spanish guitars, castanets and latin vibes are what we all need right now? Do you?

Lol, not exactly....but it's a direction to go in :) And you can't deny the beautiful horns at the beginning of Darling/Hug. Seriously, there's probably no instrument ever recorded better on a Morrissey release than those horns in that song. I'm not even a big fan of the track in general.

When I think of Gustavo's backing vocals, I actually only think about the ending of Neal Cassady Drops Dead. His voice blends with Morrissey's so well there. Regarding Alain's singing, Sunny comes to mind immediately. His voice rises, like another instrument in the mix. They each can bring different ways of performing the backing vocals to the table. One voice blends, the other is more independent --> if they use it that way mind you...and they totally should.

Some of the most influential bands ever are the ones with (at least) two great vocalists. Beatles, The Clash, Pentangle, Depeche Mode, REM, Sleater Kinney, At the Drive-In, and the Morrissey band (mostly the Alain years) all come to mind quickly for me. "the small baby girl cradled in your arms"

Last edited:
Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom