Morrissey Central “BONFIRE DOUSED” (February 7, 2023)

full

Morrissey is ‘too diverse’ for Universal Music Group.
Capitol Records (Los Angeles) will not, after all, release Morrissey’s 2021 album ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’. At the same time, Capitol Records (Los Angeles) are holding on to the album.

Although Morrissey officially signed to Capitol Records Los Angeles, there has been no mention of Morrissey on Capitol’s website or on their Artists roster.

Morrissey has said that although he does not believe that Capitol Records in Los Angeles signed ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ in order to sabotage it, he is quickly coming around to that belief.

Related items:

Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. But please tell me one reason why Capitol Los Angeles has been silent since October with not a word about the supposed new artist in their portfolio? Is he too unimportant? Too inconvenient? Too inflexible when it comes to necessary compromises (name and theme of the record)? Did they really write off the invested amount of money and no one is interested anymore to deal with this difficult artist ?
They were asked for a comment by various music papers and refused to say a word.
Maybe this is revenge for WPINOYB and they are just being difficult as payback. Seems illogical and bad for business, you never know these days. Harvest was part of Capitol, these friends in the business stick together.

The perceived 'sabotaging' happened after they signed him, no doubt.

From what we know Morrissey was
-unhappy about the way they promoted RWA
-unhappy about how they treated the whole Miley-saga, making it look as if Miley pulled out because of image-related reasons.

Morrissey then refused to agree on re-recording a version of Veronica without the Miley-vocals.

I think that's where we are now, hence a stalemate.
Just leave it to one side for now, record the stuff Alain Whyte has written with him ,which will be 10 times better I'm sure and release that - properly. Bonfire stuff will leak anyway.

Does everyone here really think, Capitol LA said in October:
"Morrissey, we're going to release the record exactly as you planned it. You can even keep the extremly uncommercial name and main theme of the longplayer. We support you in every way. OK, it won't be released in the UK, but with Miley (important for us) as a guest singer, "I'm Veronica" will be a big hit. We're gonna put out a 7" of that, too. Everything's gonna be big and great."

And then no official announcement to the public within 5 months?

Last edited:
Paul Westerberg, Lloyd Cole, Richard Ashcroft, hell The Wedding Present have been on every label known to mankind. Sounds Like Taylor Swift has taken charge of some label issues.
Even if this is the case, none of these artists have stooped to the level of destructive buffoonery that Morrissey has. All of these artists have retained their grace and the respect from the public and their peers.

Even if this is the case, none of these artists have stooped to the level of destructive buffoonery that Morrissey has. All of these artists have retained their grace and the respect from the public and their peers.
Agreed, sadly Paul Westerberg just gave up and disappeared. Some Replacements releases here and there but complete silence. Don't want that for mOz either.

James last 5 albums have been released on 5 different labels, I'm on a couple of forms of theirs and follow them on Twitter. There has been no drama at all, they don't even mention labels, they just get their music out there.

James last 5 albums have been released on 5 different labels, I'm on a couple of forms of theirs and follow them on Twitter. There has been no drama at all, they don't even mention labels, they just get their music out there.
As do most artists and bands. This is the way it should be handled. No moping, no pathetic victimization, no public airing of grievances. Just letting the music speak for itself.

Instead of saying - diversity, diversity, diversity, it actually mean conformity - why didn't Mozzballs just say - blackness, blackness, blackness, it actually means whiteness.

God knows, there's many on here would argue the case.

Agreed, sadly Paul Westerberg just gave up and disappeared. Some Replacements releases here and there but complete silence. Don't want that for mOz either.
I wish Paul would come out of his basement too, but he releases things anonymously and for free that he literally records in his basement. I think there would be a lot of labels willing to pay him to come ouf of retirement. He made an album with Juliana Hatfield a few years ago. His solo stuff with Tommy Keane is really good.

As do most artists and bands. This is the way it should be handled. No moping, no pathetic victimization, no public airing of grievances. Just letting the music speak for itself.
Yet I hear a lot of moping and airing of grievances from the likes of you.

Just listen to the music and enjoy it while you can.

I actually do not know that much about them, were they difficult to handle?
First album was super succesful, then they tried to leave the record company, Silvertone, but couldn’t.
Essentially killed their career, although the second album, released 6 years on, was actually not all that bad.

First album was super succesful, then they tried to leave the record company, Silvertone, but couldn’t.
Essentially killed their career, although the second album, released 6 years on, was actually not all that bad.
The Replacements were very badly behaved, drunk and belligerent all the time, trashed hotel rooms and offices, got banned from Saturday Night Live, fell down drunk at shows, just awful, but any label would work with them then and still would now. Paul Westerberg just walked away and retired. He is about Moz's age, he was never comfortable with the success.

The Replacements were very badly behaved, drunk and belligerent all the time, trashed hotel rooms and offices, got banned from Saturday Night Live, fell down drunk at shows, just awful, but any label would work with them then and still would now. Paul Westerberg just walked away and retired. He is about Moz's age, he was never comfortable with the success.
Yes, there are some similarities there I think.
Both on the verge of huge mainstream success at some point, and both refused to grab it.

But just as well in the end, I suppose. They both have really strong discographies that I go back to often.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom