Morrissey Central “BONFIRE DOUSED” (February 7, 2023)

full

Morrissey is ‘too diverse’ for Universal Music Group.
Capitol Records (Los Angeles) will not, after all, release Morrissey’s 2021 album ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’. At the same time, Capitol Records (Los Angeles) are holding on to the album.

Although Morrissey officially signed to Capitol Records Los Angeles, there has been no mention of Morrissey on Capitol’s website or on their Artists roster.

Morrissey has said that although he does not believe that Capitol Records in Los Angeles signed ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ in order to sabotage it, he is quickly coming around to that belief.

Related items:

Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
And to think... Merck Mercuriadis - who managed Morrissey in the past - has been buying entire back catalogs from artists for the past few years. I wonder how damaged that bridge is.

I don't doubt that Morrissey is a difficult person to work with, but the music industry is full of conformists, not rebels. Being signed to a major label is like working for a big company - if you don't fall in line you're out.

So he should stop wanting big labels to sign him if he doesn't want to conform.

Whilst it's frustrating, I do believe that in the long term, Capitol NOT releasing it might be the best thing for all of us.

1) This might finally be the straw that breaks the camel's back, and convince Morrissey to self-release in future, instead of trying to sign with the old major labels he idolised as a kid. The result would be he could release records whenever he wanted, and we'd no longer have to go into a 3-5 year 'wilderness years' period between each contract as he shops himself around.

2)He's in the studio right at this minute, and can re-record the 'Bonfire' songs and release a new version of the album himself. He's licensed out the masters for the previous version, but Capitol would not own any new recordings. And based on the engineering on 'Rebels', it would probably sound a lot better.

He has the finances to set up his own vanity label and self-release. At this stage, the only person holding Morrissey back is himself.
I hope you are right, but I doubt he will record those songs again 😉

So he struggles with big labels and he struggles with small labels so his only option appears to be self release.
He has managed to release dozens of albums and singles over the past 40 years so I'm sure he will know very well what works for him.

Nothing quite so unlike Morrissey as to self release.

we have hardly been starved of M output in the last 5 and a bit years,97---04,thats starvation.
there is people going through hell on earth in turkey right now with the worst earthquake in a hundred years and all people on here can moan about is a record not coming out,geez peace.

He was on a smaller label in the 80s, but that didn't work very well either ;)

It worked out pretty nicely for Rough Trade though. ;)

we have hardly been starved of M output in the last 5 and a bit years,97---04,thats starvation.
there is people going through hell on earth in turkey right now with the worst earthquake in a hundred years and all people on here can moan about is a record not coming out,geez peace.

May grace take care of the people suffering in Turkey, and all over the world suffering in similar ways.

Bonfire lives in oblivion, and it suits him very well.

Last edited:
Cracker band rerecorded their greatest hits as a protest to Virgin records, I think it sold well and the new versions were excellent.
Look at U2s new album. Who really needs new versions of their biggest hits? For me, it's a sign of a creative dead end street.
And even if? It would also be contractually not really easy to re-record the already sold record with the same tracks promptly and possibly release it before the original. Simply even more problems.

It's really bizarre to have released the Rebels single, though. I mean, why even do that?

Tags
bonfire of teenagers
Back
Top Bottom