Morrissey Central “BONFIRE DOUSED” (February 7, 2023)

full

Morrissey is ‘too diverse’ for Universal Music Group.
Capitol Records (Los Angeles) will not, after all, release Morrissey’s 2021 album ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’. At the same time, Capitol Records (Los Angeles) are holding on to the album.

Although Morrissey officially signed to Capitol Records Los Angeles, there has been no mention of Morrissey on Capitol’s website or on their Artists roster.

Morrissey has said that although he does not believe that Capitol Records in Los Angeles signed ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ in order to sabotage it, he is quickly coming around to that belief.

Related items:

Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
If Capitol bought the rights to release the album for let's say £500k and now won't release it. Morrissey should play them at their own game and book a few days in a studio, re-record the album live and release it as a gift to fans......
If they bought the album though they now own the music and could sue Morrissey if he recorded it with another label. A contract would normally contain some form of 'release commitment':

Release commitment​

Although it is often not the intention that the record label should release masters themselves, it is important to have a clause ensuring that somebody does, otherwise the artist’s work might never see the light of day.

Any agreement needs a clause which commits the label to secure releases for tracks recorded, or at least to enter into an agreement with an established record company whereby they are obliged to release at least one album.

In the event that the record label fails to achieve the above, the artist should ensure that they have the right to have the unreleased masters assigned to them if they come to an arrangement to repay the un-recouped recording costs or give the production company an override royalty upon such masters.

If they bought the album though they now own the music and could sue Morrissey if he recorded it with another label. A contract would normally contain some form of 'release commitment':

Release commitment​

Although it is often not the intention that the record label should release masters themselves, it is important to have a clause ensuring that somebody does, otherwise the artist’s work might never see the light of day.

Any agreement needs a clause which commits the label to secure releases for tracks recorded, or at least to enter into an agreement with an established record company whereby they are obliged to release at least one album.

In the event that the record label fails to achieve the above, the artist should ensure that they have the right to have the unreleased masters assigned to them if they come to an arrangement to repay the un-recouped recording costs or give the production company an override royalty upon such masters.
I read something about how its a license agreement and they usually last for two years. So Moz may get the record back in late 2024.

And subsequently we get it in 2025.

I read something about how its a license agreement and they usually last for two years. So Moz may get the record back in late 2024.

And subsequently we get it in 2025.

And he's in France recording a new album right now. So, we just have to wait a few more years for an abundance of new Morrissey music!!!! ;)

Last edited:
He should sing several different Bonfire tracks each night at various upcoming gigs and release them all as live bonus songs on the "Without Music.." album. That's assuming that album sees the light of day.

Maybe if he was on better terms with 'fingers' Marr, he could get him to break into Capitol & retrieve the Bonfire 'tapes', in a similar way that he tried, & was almost successful, with the 'injuncted' TQID?

My attempt to characterise the current topsy turvy dynamic of the Bonfire saga:

There remains a possibility that the album may yet come out, if only because Morrissey is not a reliable narrator of this ordeal. The fact that this is the reason for optimism only fuels my pessimism.

He should sing several different Bonfire tracks each night at various upcoming gigs and release them all as live bonus songs on the "Without Music.." album. That's assuming that album sees the light of day.
Moz recorded BOT himself didn't he? And then he sold the recordings to Capitol? In that case he may have retained copyright of the material. He would have the option to sign over copyright ownership to Capitol (if he did he is crazy) - or retain copyright ownership himself and simply grant Capitol a licence to exploit the recordings. If he retained copyright of the songs then he could do as you suggested.

I'm honestly done with BOT speculation now. We will get it one day though.

You won't see me post about BOT on here again until we get a release date.

Anyway how are you all?

Did Morrissey go full retro with this contract, and secure himself the sort of deal dished out in the 50s, by the likes of Art Rupe?

Otherwise, it’s hard to understand how he could’ve negotiated a deal apparently so bad.

"Capitol Records (Los Angeles) will not, after all, release Morrissey’s 2021 album ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’."

Two things I don't understand -

This is written on Morrissey Central, but do we really know that's the case? Who has officially announced it and where? I mean this is more like a comment from his side, including the 'too diverse' thing... Maybe it's really worth writing to Capitol directly. Not sure they care though.

And why is it always written with (Los Angeles)? Did he only sign with a part of Capitol Records, and not to Capitol Records?

I just hope that this isn't the official end of it, or that the songs will leak...

To manufacture and/or promote the physical release, will at least take 6-9 months from now on. And still, he is not an artist on their official list. Nothing will appear soon. NOTHING physical!

Last edited:
Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom